Movie Sequels/ Remakes: To Be or Not To Be?

daisho2004

Hey Daisho, way back on the first page of this you mention the Tim Burton Batman, say the sequels are bad (agree) and that you kind of like the remake (refuse to watch 'cause I hate Christian Bale and don't want to see him as Batman) but what about the fact that the Tim Burton one is a remake? Not only was there an Adam West Batman, there were two movie serials back in the day!

Don't you think sequels and remakes are two really different monsters? Some stories have logical sequels, some don't... it doesn't make sense to me that the same cop keeps stumbling into terrorist situations (Die Hard films) but it does make sense that a vampire killer is going to keep killing vampires until they are all dead (Blade).

Don't you think sequels and remakes are two really different monsters? Some stories have logical sequels, some don't... it doesn't make sense to me that the same cop keeps stumbling into terrorist situations (Die Hard films) but it does make sense that a vampire killer is going to keep killing vampires until they are all dead (Blade).

Michael L. Yes there are, but with Batman the Adam West ones were really TV movies. And I did love that one your talking about. As far as Batman Christian Bale is really excellent.

Listen I don't always mind a remake if the movie is really old, but some movies should never be touched! Like Halloween come on the original is a classic even pt.#2 wasn't that bad and the way it ended where Michael was lying on the floor burning should've been it. Then you have 5+ sequels I lost track how many. Some remakes are carbon copies of the original ex: True Grit, almost identical to the original, come on anyone could've done that, the script was almost word for word. Why bother then? I just think that a lot of movies shouldn't have a sequel if the way it ended was good. Why ruin a good or even a great movie. And I agree with you about Die Hard OK come on he is the only cop that is stumbling onto shit? Awww Hello Hollywood wake up already! Hollywood is sequeling movies to death!

ShaOW!linDude

ML --- I can understand your unfavorable view of Christian Bale.

(I'm not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio. Loved him "The Basketball Diaries", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", and "Inception". Don't care for anything else he's done and don't eeeeeeeven get me started on "Titanic".)

But he does a great job as Bruce Wayne/Batman and that really is more about those films being Christopher Nolan's interpretation of the character. And please do not deprive yourself of Heath Ledger's turn as the Joker. If you don't want to purchase them, I understand, but please consider viewing at least once.

I agree that Hollywood is off the chain with "remakes" and "sequels" which could really be constituted as "retreads" and "leftovers".

ShaOW!linDude

While I loved Nicholson's turn for it's madcap, psychotic zaniness, I prefer Ledger's. His Joker seems to want to bring everyone into his sphere of apathetic, sociopathic selfishness whether they want to or not.

I say remakes/sequel even bad ones are better than not seeing ur fav character on screen at all.

I have never thought"geez this should not been made"...not even during new elm street:tongue:

Michael L. Yes there are, but with Batman the Adam West ones were really TV movies.

There is only one Adam West Batman movie and it was made by the TV producers but it was made for the big screen... kind of like Serenity except they hadn't canceled the series. The movie serials (Batman and then Batman and Robin) are from the 1940's. They actually invented the Bat Cave in the serials and they are big budget (for movie serials). They are from WWII, though, and more than a little anti-Japanese.

Don't even get me started on the pointlessness of remaking True Grit... or 3:10 To Yuma for that matter.

ML --- I can understand your unfavorable view of Christian Bale.

(I'm not a fan of Leonardo DiCaprio. Loved him "The Basketball Diaries", "What's Eating Gilbert Grape", and "Inception". Don't care for anything else he's done and don't eeeeeeeven get me started on "Titanic".)

But he does a great job as Bruce Wayne/Batman and that really is more about those films being Christopher Nolan's interpretation of the character. And please do not deprive yourself of Heath Ledger's turn as the Joker. If you don't want to purchase them, I understand, but please consider viewing at least once.

I agree that Hollywood is off the chain with "remakes" and "sequels" which could really be constituted as "retreads" and "leftovers".

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I'll watch an English Batman right after they make James Bond starring an American!

ShaOW!linDude
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

I'll watch an English Batman right after they make James Bond starring an American!

Ah, a man of principle. I understand now. Very good.

I say remakes/sequel even bad ones are better than not seeing ur fav character on screen at all.

I have never thought"geez this should not been made"...not even during new elm street

Shawoholic: You have got to be kidding me right? You haven't watched a remake of a bad movie, and said "What The Fuck Were They Thinking" Now certain movie remakes I'm not going to lie I loved ex: Peter Jackson's King Kong Yes it was a little slow in the beginning but when they got on the Island!

ShaOW!linDude

daisho2004 --- Dude, that quote's not mine. See? It's Shawoholic's.

I have never thought"geez this should not been made"...not even during new elm street:tongue:

Collider has just reported that Chris Columbus is going to remake the Korean hit film HELLO GHOST, itself a loose version of Robert Downey Jr.'s 1993 film HEART AND SOULS.

Ehhhhh.....

And on top of that Warner Bros. wants to remake THE BODYGUARD (Yes, the Kevin Costner movie)...WHHYYY!!!! The story is at Deadline New York

ShaOW!linDude

Interesting list.

I'm much more interested in some of the sequels planned rather than any remakes.

A chill ran down my spine when I read the title 28 MONTHS LATER. I can't wait for that. What's taken so long?

Cognoscente

I wish that there had been a 90s remake of 14 Amazons with Michelle Yeoh, Moon Lee, Cynthia Khan, Sibelle Hu, Sharon Yeung, Kara Hui, Maggie Cheung, Anita Mui, Rosamund Kwan, Brigitte Lin, Chingmy Yau, Sharla Cheung Man, Joey Wong and Yeung Ching-Ching,

• Like 3

I am usually against Remakes of Good movies. There is just no point in it, in my opinion. Remakes should really be left to bad films, that had an interesting premise, but the execution was rough. Dawn of the Dead(1978) is a good example of a movie that didn't need to be remade. And on top of that, the remake was a terrible movie on top of not really needing to exist. Other remakes that I didn't like are:

1. Evil Dead(2013): I wasn't a fan of this remake. Seemed to be trying way too hard to be edgy and hardcore. The originals had gore as well, but they also had charm to them. 
  2. Halloween(2007): I'm not a fan of Rob Zombie's work, for basically the same reason I'm not a fan of Comic Writer Garth Ennis. They try so damn hard to be edgy and crude, that it just comes off as silly instead of "cool". And remaking a near perfect(In my eyes) movie was just ridiculous anyways. 
  3. Robocop(2014): This was a bad movie anyway you turn it. It fails as a movie in its own right, and it defiantly fails as a remake of a beloved classic. 
  4. Child's Play(2019): Not the worst remake on this list, but defiantly a crap movie. The only good part was the Buddi Song that plays over the credits. 
  5. Magnificent Seven(2016): This was a boring, soulless movie that shouldn't have been made. Just watch the original. 
  6. Day the Earth Stood Still(2008): The original is a classic of the Sci-Fi genre. How anyone can be stupid enough to try and remake it blows my mind. 
  7. Ghostbusters(2016): Oh wait, this doesn't exist, My bad. 
  8. Planet of the Apes(2001): One of the most boring movies I've ever seen. 
  9. Most of the Disney, Live-Action Remakes: So far, other than Cinderella(2015) and Aladdin(2019), the remakes have been or sound like they will be, crap. The worst being Beauty and the Beast(2017), which made a terrible choice of casting Emma Watson as Belle. 

Of course, not every remake is bad, and they can work if the original is bad(Like I said), a really obscure movie, or some Foreign Remakes. Examples include:

1. Scarface(1983): Fantastic movie. Never seen the original, and didn't even know it existed until recently. 
  2. Magnificent Seven(1960): Is a remake, as I'm sure most of Ya'll know, of The Seven Samurai(1954). Both are fantastic movies and one of the times that a great movie is remade into another great movie. It also probably helps that they are fairly different, save for some key parts. Which is why I think that foreign remakes tend to work far better than remakes that occur in the same country. Which is why I also like "The Ring(2002)","The Grudge(2004)", and "The Departed(2006). They are all just different enough from the source(Different characters and different setting for instance), that it basically becomes its own thing(But that doesn't mean all foreign remakes are good. Like "Oldboy(2013)", for instance. 

Now, as for Sequels, I usually find that the first sequel is the best. After that, they keep getting worse and worse. But I'm usually fine with sequels as long as someone who loves and respects the franchise is at the helm. Like for instance:

1. Aliens(1986) was a fantastic movie and, in my opinion, even better than the original. But all the sequels after that have been garbage(Especially 3). 
  2. Terminator 2(1991) was another great sequel that out does the first. But once again, all the movies after it have ranged from Meh(T3) to WTF(Terminator Genisys)
  3. The Star Wars Prequels, in my opinion, are flawed but fun films with a coherent plot and great characters. The Star Wars Sequels have none of that and are boring, incoherent garbage. 
  4. Evil Dead(1981): This is one of the few series that I find has had consistently good sequels. 

So yeah, sequels are fine as long as the source material is respected and Remakes are alright as long as the movie actually needs to be remade and is done by someone who is competent. 

• Like 3

Cognoscente

Hong Kong has produced some of my favourite remakes: Aces Go Places (Get Charlie Tully), Dragons Forever (Not Just Another Affair) and The Fun, the Luck and the Tycoon (Coming to America).

• Like 2