Movie Sequels/ Remakes: To Be or Not To Be?

daisho2004

daisho2004

Movie Sequels/Remakes: To Be or Not To Be? I know this is the age old question should certain movies have a remake or better yet should they make a sequel to them. I would like to know what movies you think should or shouldn't have been remade or if some movies should've have a sequel or just left well enough alone. I'll start off with a few that I liked and didn't like. Since there are so many movies being remade and sequel after sequel are coming out.

1)The Thing: remake by John Carpenter was awesome.

2)Star Wars: The 1st. 3 movies were totally Awesome!!! The newer ones were on average OK even though it built up to the story we were all waiting for. Could've been so much better. Now the thing with Star Wars is there is so many different ways to go that I would love to see a few more sequels come out.

3)Oceans 11: Never seen the original but I loved the remake, the sequels totally sucked.

froffeecoffee

Here's a list of totally worthless remakes that didn't make money, added nothing new, and are absolutely forgettable.

-Psycho

-Rollerball

-The Eye

-Willard (Crispin Glover's performance wasn't enough to save it)

-Texas Chainsaw Massacre (It made a profit, but does anyone care)

This is just to get started with. I know I'll think of more.

gravedigger666

I have nothing against them..if they suck it still does not take anything away from original.If they deliver,fine.

froffeecoffee

Undoubtablely it doesn't take away from the originals, but it's getting harder to go to the movies when almost every release is a remake, unwanted sequel, based on a t.v show, or unoriginal idea. If I'm paying what prices are today, it better be worth my time and money.

daisho2004

OK I thought I'd add a few more titles here.

1)Jaws: The Original still Rocks, the sequels all sucked big time especially pt.#4 what the Hell were they thinking with that one!

2)Alien: Great Movie but the sequel was totally Awesome! The others were OK not great but enjoyable.

3)Rocky: Still a classic the sequels could be hit or miss, The last One Sly did I thought was right up there with the 1st. movie.

4)Rambo:First Blood great movie the sequels were good the 3rd. one sucked big time, the latest one Awesome!

5)The Terminator: Great Movie The Sequel even better, the 3rd. he should'nt have come back! Now there coming out with T4! OMG hope its good.

daisho2004

OK I forgot to add these movies:

1)Halloween: Classic and pt.#2 was just as good. Should've stopped there, The Rob Zombie remake was a carbon copy the only thing I liked about it was how it showed Michael growing up in the institution, so it was a waste of movie in my opionion.

2)Batman: Now I enjoyed Tim Burton's version and I thought Michael Keaton was great pt.#2 was OK and I thought that Arnold was great as Mr. Freeze. But the New Batman movies are dark and seem so very different. I enjoyed the 1st. one and I 'm looking forward to this new one.

I have to admit, I did like the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The only thing I didn't like was that they showed Leatherface sans mask in the basement. I wish they would have kept that for the 2006 prequel. It was that mystique that made Leatherface who he was. But I applaud Andrew Bryniarski for bringing a very tenacious killer to the fray, like Gunnar Hansen's version kicked up a notch. Even Gunnar was apparently impressed with the performance (read it in an article when the movie had came out).

As for sequels, Michael Keaton as Batman was good. Loved Tim Burton's vision of Batman. He did fairly decent in Batman Returns. Then with Schumacher at the helm, the movies became too silly. Even Clooney admits he shouldn't have played Batman...I thought he killed the series. But with Christian Bale as Batman, I was beyond impressed with his performance in Batman Begins and I can't wait til Dark Knight comes out.

I am also getting curious about the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake that is currently shooting. This one does have Jason as the killer and I was pretty impressed with Derek Mears in Hills Have Eyes 2, so I'm curious to see how he will do in the role of Jason.

Then, there's TRANSPORTER 3, coming out Thanksgiving weekend. I thought Part 2 was too B-movie actionish, only because I thought the original had somewhat of a fresh take on the action film in terms of story. So, I'm hoping Part 3 comes out better than 2...apparently it's going to be "Transporter vs. Transporter" with Statham taking on Robert Knepper in the film.

So for me, a remake or sequel brings out the best in my curiosity.

The following remakes, for the most part, I thought were as good as the originals whether it be for adding something new to the mix or just sheer entertainment value--

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978) Just as good as the original 1956 McCarthy Era symbolic sci fi horror picture. Nice cameo by Kevin McCarthy reprising his raving tirade from the ending of the original.

DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004) Thought this was surprisingly good. The Italian zombie nods including the Fulciesque end credits sequence once the "survivors" make it to the zombie infested island. The sight gags paying tribute to the original were welcome.

DAY OF THE DEAD (2008) A kind of crappy movie but entertaining and action packed in its own ridiculous and bone headed way. The spider zombies are really OTT as are all the mega hyperactive zombie here. A lot of gore although the film bears little resemblance to the original outside of some character names and title. If you like bad movies with some seriously OTT and stupid situations, you could lots worse than this.

THE THING (1982) More similar to the source story 'Who Goes There?' than the Howard Hawks original but both are true classics for their own reasons. Carpenter's features some seriously frightening and still impressive effects sequences from Rob (HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP, THE HOWLING) Bottin. Should be in every horror fans collection.

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (2003) Didn't think I would like this one but it turned out really nice. A gritty atmosphere all its own. R. Lee Ermy adds lots to this one. The same DP as the Hooper original. The only negative is that they're not portrayed as cannibals unlike the more grindhouse laced TCM: THE BEGINNING (2006).

WAR OF THE WORLDS (2005) Thought this was much better than I thought it would be although the ending was a cop out, IMO. Never cared much for Tom Cruise but the dark tone of the movie was what saved it for me.

KING KONG (1976) The best thing about this bloated and ego minded remake was the stunning photography and music score.

KING KONG (2005) Really fun second remake of the 1933 original. The gruesome and frightening island "sequence" (over 90 minutes of the films screentime!) is one of the most memorable things I've seen in a long time. The extended cut features even more monster action on the island. Difficult to imagine the same director did some of the most jaw droppingly gruesome and offensive horror/comedy movies ever.

These remakes bothered me a bit...

BLACK CHRISTMAS (2006) So far removed from the source material save for the names this good intentioned misfire has an incredibly dark and mean spirited streak. I did enjoy it but would have appreciated it much more had the makers simply called it something else. No patch whatsoever on the original classic.

HALLOWEEN (2007) The absolute worst movie I've seen in years. Saw the supposed "stolen" workprint version online than paid to see this garbage once it hit theaters to see if the last minute reshoots improved anything. Slightly better but that's no compliment for the third white trash filled opus from carny king Rob Zombie. Continuity errors as well as supremely stupid dialog abound.

PSYCHO (1998) Couldn't finish it. No point in its existence and no point watching. Check out the classy and classic original instead.

WILLARD (2003) Couldn't get into this one either but then, the original wasn't all that great to begin with.

froffeecoffee

The Hills Have Eyes (2006) Was actually pretty good. The original is considered a classic, but I personally think that's due to reputation and premise than the actual movie.

The Omen (2006) Did everything wrong by focusing on gore content and emphasizing the obvious.

Oh, forgot about that one. the HILLS remake is one case where I thought the remake was superior to the original. HILLS 2, as bad as it was, was miles away better than the 1985 sequel to the original HILLS.

As far as sequels go, could anybody let me know why they bothered with multiple sequels to Psycho and The Exorcist. I watched either Psycho 4or5 two nights ag on tv and found myself wondering if it was supposed to be a comedy???

The answer is no by the way, in case anyone was curious.

5 Element Boxer
1)The Thing: remake by John Carpenter was awesome.

I want a sequel to that sequel, but with Carpenter as the Director.

Aliens kicked ass, and was WAY better than Alien. Alien3 and ressurection were just okay, but watchable.

T2 was cooler than ****, and was better than the 1st one, although the 1st one is still a real classic.

Batman Returns was a good sequel. Nice and Dark. Michelle Pfeiffer was hot as hell as Catwoman. Batman Forever had it's moments, and Batman & Robins sucked really hard.

Batman Begins was a really good prequel.

The Godfather 2 was really good, but I don't think it was better than 1. Both are equally excellent.

The Excorcist 2 sucked, but Linda Blair looked very hot in it. :cool:

Fist of Legend (Jet Li) was superior to Fist of Fury (Bruce Lee), in my humble opinion. Better action choreography, and better acting. Donnie Yen's Fist of Fury sucked BIG TIME.

3:10 To Yuma was much better than the original.

One Armed Boxer

I really can't stand Hollywood's obsession with remaking Asian movies at the moment. It started (and is still going) with horror movies...Ring, Ring 2, Dark Water, The Grudge, The Grudge 2, Kairo (renamed Pulse), The Eye, the list could go on and on...but now they seem to be into remaking anything and everything they can get there hands on.

We've already had remakes of the Infernal Affairs trilogy in the form of The Departed and Shall We Dance...now we're soon to be treated to Bangkok Dangerous and The Chaser has been bought up for a remake as well.

What makes it worse is that the studios seem to think if they get the original director in they'll make a film just as good as the original (such as Ring 2 and The Grudge) but they just end up being pale imitations of the original.

5 Element Boxer
I really can't stand Hollywood's obsession with remaking Asian movies at the moment. It started (and is still going) with horror movies...Ring, Ring 2, Dark Water, The Grudge, The Grudge 2, Kairo (renamed Pulse), The Eye, the list could go on and on...but now they seem to be into remaking anything and everything they can get there hands on.

We've already had remakes of the Infernal Affairs trilogy in the form of The Departed and Shall We Dance...now we're soon to be treated to Bangkok Dangerous and The Chaser has been bought up for a remake as well.

What makes it worse is that the studios seem to think if they get the original director in they'll make a film just as good as the original (such as Ring 2 and The Grudge) but they just end up being pale imitations of the original.

It seems as if Hollywood thinks the original Asian versions arn't as good as they would like them to be. In other words, they think they could be done alot better, which is complete nonesense. They were just fine the first time around.

There's also a remake of [REC] coming out this year under the title QUARANTINE. Judging from the trailer, it looks like a shot for shot remake. I doubt this film will have the sheer horror of the original and I don't see how that ending can be duplicated.

There's also a remake to Clash of the Titans in development. Lawrence Kasdan wrote the script and it looks like they found their director: Louis Letterier!!!

I think from what I read, the movie is going to be shot in the style of 300.

There's also a remake to Clash of the Titans in development. Lawrence Kasdan wrote the script and it looks like they found their director: Louis Letterier!!!

I think from what I read, the movie is going to be shot in the style of 300.

They've been threatening that one for a long time now. Guess it really is a go then. :mad:

Chinatown Kid

I wish someone would do a Dirty Harry remake as Clint's too old now and get that franchise going again, I loved the originals. The first one was the best but the sequels were still entertaining as it was a formula that just seemed to work.

Dirty Harry Remake! I don't even want to think about that, don't mess with the best, plain & simple! Nobody could fill Clint's shoes.

There's plans for a DIRTY HARRY remake already but without Eastwood although I hear Warner is trying to get him in some capacity.

Chinatown Kid

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the info venom, I hope they can get Clint to do a cameo to pay respect to him for putting that character on the map. Clint was asked in an interview if he would consider playing Dirty Harry again and he said what am I going to do, play Harry in retirement chasing down bad guys with my walker?

Wow, I had no idea! Thanks for the info venom, I hope they can get Clint to do a cameo to pay respect to him for putting that character on the map. Clint was asked in an interview if he would consider playing Dirty Harry again and he said what am I going to do, play Harry in retirement chasing down bad guys with my walker?

That new special edition box set is freakin' awesome CK. I think you'll love it. Lots of cool extras in there.