Anyone seen these old films -

King of Kings

Young Avengers

Eight Immortals

Whirlwind Knight

Absurd Brave

Bloody Mask

? Opinions ?

They are coming out from Fusian, see Mark Pollard's story here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King of Kings-Solid Joseph Kou film that I really enjoyed for the period.

Eight Immortals-This is a fantasy story made quite a few times, this version I think is the 1970/71 version. There was Eight Hilarious Gods in the 90s and even a TV show.

Bloody Mask-AKA Bloody Mask of Karate. This was the second film I'm aware of that had a flying guillotine style weapon made in the 60s. Only version I've seen had no subs, so I'm looking forward to checking this out.

Pretty sure I've got Whirlwind Knight as well, but don't remember much at 1am. :)

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I saw quiet a few of these on the shelf at a local shop today. Never heard of most of the titles and only a few cast listings on the covers. Are any of these Fusian discs worth picking up (are the films any good)? And whats the picture quality like since they have "Remastered" printed on them?

Guest morgoth

Check out King of Kings and eight Immortals. I liked King of Kings more, but Eight Immortals has better pic quality. King of Kings is still watchable, and I could read all the subs.

I still have to see Bloody Mask, but I didn't like Fight For the Agreement or Duel With the Devil. One was missing a ton of subs. I would have been pissed if the movie ws good.

Guest Ivy Ling Po

Morgoth

Please do me a favour and check out the stars in The 8 Immortals for me. I supplied Amazon the cast list which included Chu Ching & Chen Chun but now a friend says that was a different 8 Immortals Crossing The River movie.

Thanks for your help.

Guest JustinB123

These are part of a large group of films "discovered" last year. Fusion and Crash have both been releasing titles from this collection. Here's the original thread discussing the titles:

p081.ezboard.com/fkungfuf...0944.topic

I think most are worth watching. "King of Kings" from Fusion and "The Sword" from Crash are two of my favorites so far. From what I can tell, there have been no titles announced for release after this month's releases, but hopefully there will be more to come.

Guest fabhui

Not sure what's next from Fusian but here is what Crash cinema is releasing up to and including November's releases:

June

Thirteen Worms

The Last Days of Hsin Yang

July

Terrible Killer

Wandering Knight

August

Scholar Swordsman

Seven Darts

September

Duel In the Planes

Begging Swordsman

October

Jade Faced Cat

Man, Ghost, Fox

November

Ace of Swordsman

Sword Renounced

Guest The Insider

"13 Worms" is a weird one and may not be for everybody (there's singing in it), but "Last Days of Hsin Yang" is worth it.

...but "Last Days of Hsin Yang" is worth it.

To each his own opinion, but I thought "Last Days of Hsin Yang" was one of the worst Taiwan swordplay films ever. The few fight scenes were very poorly directed and edited, in a pseudo-artsy manner. There was no logical consistency in the relationship between the two robbers; they were either trying to betray each other, or help each other. Very disappointing, slow-moving film, from every aspect.

Was this really a 1979 movie?

No, it looks to me like it's from around 1968-9. It was probably made around the same time as Ace of Swordsman, since it has a lot of the same cast and director.

Guest johnnydragon

I'm going to pass on Begging Swordsman most Collectors on fandom have it Thanks to the Saint and I.unless theres 2 versions.

I watched the trailer of 13 worms and was unimpressed! so much, I haven't opened the DvD yet. my pre-orders have come sometimes up to a month early and I pay 8.25 for Crash and 5.33 for Fusain +1.55 to ship. It's nice to see sword plays you have never seen before. and to help out Legit companies. at these cheap prices I don't ask about the movies I buy! Hkfx prices are on the higher side selling China Shaws 9.99ea+ship I

pay 3.23ea+ship Shop before you buy!

Anyone know if the Crash Cinema/Fusion DVD releases from the large collection of Taiwanese movies they acquired are officially done/cancelled? They released some great titles like The Sword and King of Kings. I know Crash Cinema had many other titles planned for eventual release but their website has disappeared and there hasn't been a new release in months.

I really hope these are eventually released as I don't think many of them had ever been released on any home video format.

Morgoth Bauglir

Someone came on once and said that those rare Crash and Fusian releases are done, and Linn confirmed it. MAybe someone else will release them.:confused:

oldeschool17
So typical, they reel you in, and ....

:(

well thats what happens when nobody buys your dvds. you cant operate in the negative

Mark Pollard

The folks putting out the Fusian titles were initially quite enthusiastic about getting their product promoted but it began to taper off within six months of their first release and I saw that the end was near, sadly.

These obscure wuxia titles have even less of an audience in the U.S. than the kung fu movies. It's a hard sell when they have few visual hooks like FEARLESS FIGHTERS and no big-name actors. Another problem is a broader lack of appreciation for the wuxia genre in all forms. Asia is immersed in it but aside from a few blockbuster titles like Zhang Zimou's HERO, Americans don't get it, say the way they do anime.

Also, my opinion is that most of them were average as far as entertainment value goes. I appreciated them from a historical and research perspective but I can't say I enjoyed most of them as much as the SB wuxia films of the era.

My hope is that in time wuxia films and literature will gain popularity in the West and audiences will begin to take more interest in the old wuxia classics of Taiwan and Hong Kong.

Killer Meteor

the poor subs don't help. I wonder if DVD releases of old theatre prints would sell better if new subs were made and placed in a black box on top of the originals

Archived