Born Invincible

falkor

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

I enjoy it but I'd never call it great or a classic. The dubbing in this particular one grates - both Carter and Lo Lieh sound dreaful!

And I'm a fan of goofy dubbing!

I bought and watched this movie the same day as Invincible Armor, and for me Invincible Armor sucked all the enjoyment I could've had for Born Invincible out of me. The fight scenes were just not up to par, especially when you know what the actors in Born Ivincible are capable of.

Because of how enjoyable I found Invincible Armor, i've felt this movie could've been so much better.

As for J. Kuo films-- The Swordsman of All Swordsmen, 8 masters and 7 Grandmasters are some of my favorites and far better than Born Invincible, IMO.

Have to agree this is vastly overated, the dubbing didnt help obviously but i won't be watching it again.

CHEAP HK LEGENDS DVDS HERE

Drunken Monk

I'm in the camp that find it enjoyable. By no means is it a fantastic piece of cinema but for enjoyable, quirky kung fu entertainment you can't go wrong with sticking "Born Invincible" in the DVD player.

It's one of those that is so jam packed full of action that you can ignore it's cons and focus purely on the pros.

I can't figure all the disdain for this movie. There's WAY worse kung fu movies out there and this aint one of them. Fine villainous turn by Lo Lieh only I wish he and Wong would have ended up being a terrible twosome through the finale much like Kwan Young Moon and Yen Shi Kwan in the otherwise awful FEARLESS HYENA 2.

thedangerouskid

This was one of the first films I bought when I discovered Flash Legs in Clapham in 2000. I'd read about it on some guys site and having seen other Joseph Kuo films knew I just had to get this. Still love it to this day

"Damn you want to die! If you like you can be next!"

My favourite scene is when Carter gives in to the priestess/nun character just love the whole setting.

All time classic for me!

This film and other Joseph Kuo films are being shown early next month in Paris with a Q&A session with the man himself! Born Invincible will be projected from a widescreen 35mm print. This is the only link I can find:

http://www.pariscinema.org/fr/programmes-2008/josephkuo11.html

Is there details available in English?

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.pariscinema.org/fr/programmes-2008/josephkuo11.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.pariscinema.org/fr/programmes-2008/josephkuo11.html%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

kungfusamurai

The frame-cutting in the fight scenes makes the flow seem artificial and is distracting for me. That's why I don't really like Joseph Kuo's flicks, except 7 Grandmasters and Shaolin Temple Strikes Back because those two films feature very little or no cutting.

Here's once scene that really has obvious splices (you can see the frame edges jump at the top and bottom of the screen):

eGSbzKUGRgc

And here's the same music they used in Born Invincible (I used to watch this show as a kid, which was known as Hiliarious House of Frightenstein, and noticed the music was the same in recent reruns):

fw8T3xycCVw

KFS

Kungfusamurai, what are you opinions about "overcranking" and the fight scenes in Forbidden Kingdom? You think the fight scenes are more entertaining in Jackie and Jet's film compared to Born Invincible?

kungfusamurai
Kungfusamurai, what are you opinions about "overcranking" and the fight scenes in Forbidden Kingdom? You think the fight scenes are more entertaining in Jackie and Jet's film compared to Born Invincible?

Undercranking can be done tastefully, like the Jackie and Sammo films of the 80s, or it can be done to cartoonish effect, like Shaolin Vs Ninja, which I don't like. It depends on the level of the undercranking. With Forbidden Kingdom, I didn't really care too much because I watched it as a fantasy, not as something based on a real life event. I feel the same way about the flying in Crouching Tiger & Hidden Dragon. There were also body doubles employed in Forbidden Kingdom, which I wasn't too crazy about, but I do understand that it was necessary since Jet & Jackie are getting old.

I think that's what you meant by 'overcranking', it's the speeding up of images when played back. That's really achieved by slowing down the film speed as its recording. When you play it back at a normal speed, then it appears that people are moving faster. Overcranking would be recording something at a high speed so that when it's played back, it looks like people are moving in slo' mo'.

This is turning into a long response. I guess the real problem I have with the frame cutting is the jerkyness of the motion. Plus the frame of the image itself jumps up and down. Undercranking is a smooth, continuous process, even if the timing of the fight isn't realistic or in real time. If Kuo had undercanked instead of frame cutted on Born Invincible, I'd be a whole lot happier! ;)

KFS

Guest Markgway

IDing the credits for Born Invincible, but stuck with this name:

王隻樑

Wang Chih-Liang (or Wong Chek-Leung in Cantonese)

6th billed, although the white font on light background make them tough to read.

Is this an AKA for anyone more famous?

The HKFA only list them for this one film and the HKMDB don't recognise them at all.

BATTLE AXE 45

If you would have seen this in a packed movie theater during its initial run on 42nd st in NY. The ones who hated it would have had a different opinion.I too see the faults in the movie but as pure entertainment it was hard to beat.

BATTLE AXE 45

It seems to me that most people on this board only seen these movies on either vhs or dvd.I wish you could have seen them when they were first showing them in theaters during the 70s to the early 90s.

kungfusamurai
It seems to me that most people on this board only seen these movies on either vhs or dvd.I wish you could have seen them when they were first showing them in theaters during the 70s to the early 90s.

My first introduction to kung fu films was on TV. Born Invincible was a DVD purchase, but many of the english dub Shaws and Bruce Li movies played on TV for a few years.

KFS

BATTLE AXE 45

All of the stuff people have seen on drive-in movie and black belt theater I saw in cinemas of chinatown and 42nd st in ny.I only saw some of the stuff on t.v. and it was badly cut.

Guest Markgway
王隻樑

Wang Chih-Liang must be aka for Mark Long or Nam Chung Kwun

Nan Chung-Chun is the name Mark Long is billed under. He gets 7th billing here.

One would assume therefore that Wang Chih-Liang is in the film as much as - if not more than - Mark Long and Jack Long (5th billed) .

Who plays the third hero? I think the character name in the dub is something like 'Lu Chien'. Could that be Wang?

Unfortunately it's been ages since I watched the film.

sifu iron perm

this is grand imperial!! Along with Shaolin V Lama!!

Watch them back 2 back..

Nan Chung-Chun is the name Mark Long is billed under. He gets 7th billing here.

One would assume therefore that Wang Chih-Liang is in the film as much as - if not more than - Mark Long and Jack Long (5th billed) .

Who plays the third hero? I think the character name in the dub is something like 'Lu Chien'. Could that be Wang? Unfortunately it's been ages since I watched the film.

Are you talking about the guy that trains his breath power by shooting the metal ball bearings into the tree? He has a major role and could be considered the third hero. Here is his portrait, unfortunately his face doesn't ring any bells for me.

ehr.jpg

kungfusamurai

Does anyone know if the Mandarin audio was dubbed by the actors themselves? I'm watching it right now. Lung Fei looks like he speaks with a lisp, and the voice dubbing is pretty closely matched. Also, Lo Lieh's voice sounds like his real voice. It might just be my imagination.

KFS

HyperDrive

Where are these people billed?

Alan Chui Chung-San

Chen Chin-Hai

Chiu Chung-Hing

Guest Markgway
Are you talking about the guy that trains his breath power by shooting the metal ball bearings into the tree? He has a major role and could be considered the third hero. Here is his portrait, unfortunately his face doesn't ring any bells for me.]

Yeah, that's the dude. Must be Wang Chih-Liang. Anyone seen him in anything else...?

Guest Markgway
Where are these people billed?

Alan Chui Chung-San = 14th

Chen Chin-Hai = Unbilled

Chiu Chung-Hing = Unbilled

Archived