Born Invincible

falkor

born1.jpg

born2.jpg

I wonder why this waterfall scene isn't in the final film? It must have been a training scene I reckon... :( In case you don't know, Born is my all time fav! :D:cool:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
venomsfreak

This is one of my favorites too Falkor. Maybe they just took the pic by the waterfall for the poster?

I was just thinking that before I read your statement. Too bad, looks like a great shot they took with the waterfall.

Black Dragon

One of the greatest flicks ever made. I've loved this film since I first saw it in the 80's on TV and have loved it ever since.

Can someone (Soulblade or Celestial) digitally remaster this one please?

Mine all times fav.

Topgun;)

I'll have to dig this one out, it's been a while since I've seen it, great movie from what I can remember:cool:

Hated it!

Please tell us your top 3 martial arts films or 3 favourites that come to mind that you rate 5/5. I would like to know what kind of kung fu fan you are.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Please tell us your top 3 martial arts films or 3 favourites that come to mind that you rate 5/5. I would like to know what kind of kung fu fan you are.

Well, im not gonna go into some long diatribe about what movies or styles I dig. But if we are talking Joseph Kuo flicks, I think that 7 Grandmasters (which I believe was shot back to back with this one, not sure though) or Mystery of chessboxing (minus the protracted ricebowl gag) or even Dragon's claws was better than Born Invincible!

I hated Carter's villain character, and if I don't like the villain, it's pretty much lost on me! There was a lot of other things that annoyed me about it though. So as a whole, I just didn't like it. The fights were all right though.

But hey, it's just my opinion.... you guys feel free to love it all you want:)

Guest Markgway

This ranks as one of my biggest disappointments after all the raves I heard. If it hadn't been for the final reel action I would've given it might lowest available rating.

Kuo films I like: The 18 Bronzemen, Return of the 18 Bronzemen, The Blazing Temple, Seven Grandmasters, Sorrowful to a Ghost... I haven't seen a lot of the earlier ones.

I hated it too although I've only seen the fullscreen version with the terrible English dub, if I saw it widescreen and subbed I might have a different opinion.

As it stands, Joseph Kuo did a lot better than this one!!

This is one movie I enjoyed & liked. To me the dub voice for CW added something extra to the movie. Plus this is also a movie I say on the big screen during it initial run in a theater pack of screaming people. I know some of you didn't have the pleasure of experiencing this. If you did..........

defangthewolf

extremely overrated imho. watched it once before, and that will be the first and last time. im quite puzzled as to why it is constantly rated as one of the best on this forum

It's my belief that to appreciate Born Invincible and Kung Fu films in general, one needs to be open-minded and unconditioned. Also, there is different things about martial arts films that people appreciate, and some people only certain aspects. One trend I'm pretty certain exists: if you don't like Born Invincible then you probably prefer English subtitled films over English dubbing. Born Invincible is more representative of the "Kung Fu Movie" as opposed to the "Hong Kong Movie". Again, it all comes down to why you watch these films IMO.

though) or Mystery of chessboxing (minus the protracted ricebowl gag)

Oh man I love the rice bowl scene:D, I'm also fond of the cartoony noises and the dub, and I'm usually a sub type o' person.

Guest Markgway
One trend I'm pretty certain exists: if you don't like Born Invincible then you probably prefer English subtitled films over English dubbing.

Lol, it's true!! :D

5 Element Boxer
This ranks as one of my biggest disappointments after all the raves I heard.

That's how I felt when I first saw it. I thought the movie was hot garbage. But then I saw it high, with a few friends, and it was a freakin' great time. I really appreciated Carter Wong's character (the only role I actually liked in the movie). That white hair fit him nicely.

Does anyone know if he had any other white-haired roles in his career?

But then I saw it high, with a few friends, and it was a freakin' great time.

Yeah, because your frontal lobes were switched off! :)

Morgoth Bauglir

It seems from the responses that every one seems to love or hate this movie. I'm kind of in the middle. I thought it was a little above average. It starts out really good. After 4 major fight scenes in a row at the beginning I was really into it. But then of course there's training. Jack Long does a flip or two and is ready to fight the bad guys. The fights are good, but it's a pointless movie.

One trend I'm pretty certain exists: if you don't like Born Invincible then you probably prefer English subtitled films over English dubbing.

Than I must be the exception as I much prefer subbed movies but BORN INVINCIBLE is one of the best and most tolerable indy kung fu movies out there regardless of whether it's in English or Chinese. Also, this is the best movie I can recall seeing Carter Wong in, IMO. Seeing his name in the credits usually guarantees a craptastically bad movie...not always, but most of the time. This is one I think would benefit seeing it in widescreen. Very nice lobbies BTW.:)

Archived