Fist of Legend (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

BLfan

I wonder what HK video based their subs on since they have the same ending as the dimension dub? Maybe they just took then english from the dimention dub & translated it to french? The line about the "replacement body" doesn't appear in french & I don't think its in the dimension dub either.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shaw Scope Guy

Can anyone here comment on the new Dragon Dynasty DVD of Fist of Legend and indicate how it is different from the previous release by Dimension Home Video?

Cheers,

Shaw Scope Guy

The Running Man

Just got the Fist of Legend DVD. Don't have time to write a lot right now but if I find sometime this weekend I will. But I needed to say some things.

1) The Cantonese mono is genuine. Didn't check the Mandarin.

2) This is not the uncut version of the movie. This IS the Dimension version. Aside from having the Dimension intro and not the original, this is missing the last moments of the movie where we see the on screen epilogue text and then we see Chin Siu Ho running with the other students (along with even the last bit where we see the crew posing for the camera right after the ending credits). This print, just like the Dimension print, freeze frames the car driving away instead of us seeing it drive off where the on screen text is supposed to come up. This even has the credits directly lifted from the Dimension version.

3) The slow motion blur effect on the frames issue from Tai Chi Master is still present. It doesn't seem to be as consistent as Tai Chi Master, but it does indeed occur often. Interestingly, sometimes even at the end of the frames.

4) The subtitles are 100% bullsh!t.

Kurata and Jet's showdown is one of my all time favorite scenes. The action is amazing, but the verbal exchange before/during/after the fight is awsome. One of Kurata's finest moments imo.

Yeah. Kurata was a lot like his character in Legend of A Fighter. Dude has MADD SKILLS!!!

Morgoth Bauglir

4) The subtitles are 100% bullsh!t.

Did you not get subtitles on yours? They look fine to me. Surely they can't be "100%" BS:o

If anyone's got the Ritek or uncut old version on DVD-r to trade let me know, I would like to have it to compare to the DD version to see what I'm missing.

The Running Man

HAZ,

They match, but those subs you posted seem to be a corrected version of the subs as seen on the Ritek since those have better grammar. What are they from?

And check your PM box.

Ritek ends in an open matte credit sequence (different too I think) and I don't believe there's the shot of the crew.

DVD Compare has details on the differing versions. To sum it up overall:

The Taiwanese cut (on the Ritek DVD) has 6 bits of footage/scenes (DD includes 5 of those) not in the HK. The HK cut (on the HKVideo DVD) has 2 scenes not in the Taiwanese. The Dimension cut is an slightly shortened version based on the HK version - it has differing credits and it misses the final 20 seconds of epilogue/training. DD uses the Dimension print and attaches abridged Cantonese/Mandarin soundtracks.

You'd have to do the math to find out what's "missing" as such ;).

HAZ,

They match, but those subs you posted seem to be a corrected version of the subs as seen on the Ritek since those have better grammar. What are they from?

And check your PM box.

The subs I posted were taken from the MIHK VSH tape (I think) & added to the HKVideo print. Its a nice mash-up.

The Running Man
Dimension is an slightly shortened version of the HK print - it has differing credits and it misses the final 10 seconds or so.

It's actually close to 30 seconds. The shot of the crew at the end is in there though.

And yeah, all DD did was take a cheap route and make an anamorphic print of the Dimension video not caring of the alterations in it and not even bothering to make the effort to restore them. Anyone talking about how great the video is, is admitting how good the people at Miramax were with video transfers. This is why BCI's upcoming deal with Miramax is a genuinely exciting one.

The subs I posted were taken from the MIHK VSH tape (I think) & added to the HKVideo print. Its a nice mash-up.

Great. Am I getting a reply to that PM? ;)

The Running Man
Did you not get subtitles on yours? They look fine to me. Surely they can't be "100%" BS

Did you watch the whole movie with the subtitles? Among many problems with it, they turn into full on dubtitles towards the end of the movie.

So you are saying the subs aren't 100% BS...

You know what he meant. Why troll!?

It's 100% BS that the subs are dubtitles and not up to par, or as good as they should be. Obviously he doesnt mean they are, from beginning to end, 100% incorrect.

Morgoth Bauglir

Well, I didn't have any problems with the subtitles. So 100% BS doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe 5%. That's a little different than 100%. And how did I troll? At least I'm not giving misinformation saying the subtitles are 100% BS. What's that called, megatrolling?

I jut noticed on the french dvd that the dub is more true to the film than the subs. The subs in french say that Jet is off to be with his girlfriend. On the french dub, he's off to fight the Japanese. Looks like DD is not the only company to mess up big with their Fist Of Legend.

Alot of subtitle gripes are 100% BS for me, especially if you don't know the language being translated. For Fist Of Legend, I'm disappointed that we get a false ending on the DD disc. That Jet is going off to fight the Japanese is done away with. They just made the ending up.

OK I finally got to watch my New "Fist of Legend" from DD and to be quite honest I really wasn't all that impressed with the picture quality, it wasn't as sharp as I was expecting it to be. You'd thought that DD would really take the time to get a superior print but they didn't. OK as far as the subtitles go I seen the mistake that one of you Guys pointed out about the Cop talking about the Gun misfiring but otherwise I thought the subtitles were well done. NOW I did have the Fist of Legend on VHS back in the day but I moved and couldn't find it so I had to settle for the English dubbed version. But I don't remember the mistakes that a lot of you Guys pointed out, I'm just glad I got it in its original Language again.

OK here's something I noticed also, when you watch the film in the fist few minutes when Jet is walking with GF the Soldiers are walking by there are 3 Japanese Men and the last one is the Guy who played Tanaka in Fearless, believe me I froze the movie to make sure I was right he was a lot younger but its him.

The Running Man
Well, I didn't have any problems with the subtitles. So 100% BS doesn't make any sense to me. Maybe 5%. That's a little different than 100%. And how did I troll? At least I'm not giving misinformation saying the subtitles are 100% BS. What's that called, megatrolling?

It's "100% bullsh!t" because it's not a respectable subtitle track. It's a lazy rewording of the old subtitles to make it seem as it is a retranslation. In regards to the dubtitles thing, the whole movie's subs on the DD disc seem to every now and then jump into the the dub's dialog and back to whatever DD concocted. Then at around 80 minutes it goes into full on dubtitled mode for the remainder of the film. That's far more than "5%".

So don't be mad because I caught this and am letting those who don't know become aware of this issue. Because when you have an official US release that's billed as an "Ultimate Edition" feature subtitles that are totally inferior to the original Hong Kong theatrical subtitles, then yes...it is "100% bullsh!t".

HAZ,

I jut noticed on the french dvd that the dub is more true to the film than the subs. The subs in french say that Jet is off to be with his girlfriend. On the french dub, he's off to fight the Japanese. Looks like DD is not the only company to mess up big with their Fist Of Legend.

There are two French subtitle tracks on the French disc. One for the original soundtrack and one for the Dimension English. The one for the original soundtrack has the correct translation. So no, the French disc did not screw up. That's a feat that rests squarely on DD's shoulders.

And thank you for ignoring my PM HAZ.

daisho2004,

OK as far as the subtitles go I seen the mistake that one of you Guys pointed out about the Cop talking about the Gun misfiring but otherwise I thought the subtitles were well done.

Read my posts here. They are anything but "well done".

Morgoth Bauglir

Sorry you thought I was mad. I just wanted to make it clear that the subs ARE NOT 100% BS. And what is up with you thanking HAZ for not replying to your PM? You are the one who seems mad here. I just wanted to clarify tht the subs are actually pretty good, and not "100% BS".

Archived