Fist of Legend (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

BLfan

The only major problem I can see here is some annoying bird chirping in one scene on one of the language tracks

...which was probably there in the first place and not added by DD ;).

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Running Man
I agree. The only major problem I can see here is some annoying bird chirping in one scene on one of the language tracks. I can't wait to replace my Dimension version!

According to Kung Fu Bob, it seems to be that this is more or less the Dimension cut but just anamorphic and that there are subtitle issues as well.

• Administrator

Sorry Chen Lung. That was really rude of me. My lame excuse is a long, aggravating day...

I should have said- I listened carefully to the Ritek version and there weren't ANY birds chirping. And I must have watched the Tai Seng VHS 30 times and I would have remembered that. It definetly seems like a new audio adjustment to me.

My lame excuse is a long, aggravating day...

No problem mate :). I got like that myself last night ;).

I should have said- I listened carefully to the Ritek version and there weren't ANY birds chirping.

I wouldn't have expected that as the sound people wouldn't have inserted them over loud triumphant music :).

And I must have watched the Tai Seng VHS 30 times and I would have remembered that. It definetly seems like a new audio adjustment to me.

I put on the MIHK (UK - Cantonese/newly subtitled) VHS and it has bird noises in it :).

The Running Man
I listened carefully to the Ritek version and there weren't ANY birds chirping. And I must have watched the Tai Seng VHS 30 times and I would have remembered that. It definetly seems like a new audio adjustment to me.

I should point out that there are some differences with the music cues on the Ritek DVD compared to what's on the Hong Kong cut. Personally, I prefer the differences in music cues on the Ritek version.

I should point out that there are some differences with the music cues on the Ritek DVD compared to what's on the Hong Kong cut. Personally, I prefer the differences in music cues on the Ritek version.

I recall the Ritek DVD having music during Ting Yan VS Chen Jun match, but the Cantonese didn't (and may have had foley effects).

XD

• Administrator

I just watched the last half of DD's FoL and the full ending is there. So it's not just the same Dimension "cut" again. It's got that little tidbit.

So that's a point for the DD FoL.

But now I'm staring at the disappointing cover. Aw geez, I've chastised other people for crying about every little thing myself, but... Damn them! :mad: This is one of my favorite flippin' movies!!! :mad: They obviously wanted the cover image to look good, so they thought it might be a swell idea to lighten up some of the strong shadows on Jet's face in this image. Which, based on the lighting and "film" grain that's clear in the Dimension release cover (it uses the same photo), has been taken directly from the film (as opposed to a publicity shot). They did a servicable job until they had to redraw the corner of Jet's right eye, which is completely lost in the shadows of the original picture. They over-extended the corner, slightly enlongating it. This makes him look cock-eyed, and not as Jet as he should. Just cover up that corner of his eye when you get it, and it suddenly doesn't look like tripping on mushrooms.

Two points taken away for a vicious foul!

Yeah, I'm being a baby. :cry:

I'm totally envious that someone else got to do the cover, when I've had such deep desire and artistic inspiration to do one. And knowing I would give it my all if I had a chance to do the DVD cover for this film... In my head, my concept looks better. But that's easy to say. Who knows if I could accomplish what I imagined in reality.

I'm just full of sour grapes yo.

Um, just to end on a positive note... The film is still awesome!XD Billy Chow is the perfect "killing machine" to fight Jet in this. Their fight is out-of-sight. And Kurata? Every second he's on screen is mesmerizing! His little thing that he pulls on Chen Zhen while the younger fighter impatiently awaits the start of their duel... priceless! Jet's performance is great. Chin Siu-ho is so underrated in this film too. He turns in a wonderful dramatic, and physical performance. Yeah, really good stuff. ;):D:nerd:

We just want the uncut movie with proper subs and the original soundtrack in mono. Cant be THAT hard, can it!? Who cares if the videoquality is the best ever if the scenes are ruined by added soundeffects and such!?

Unfortunatley they dont make their money off fans like us who want/care about those aspects. We make a very tiny section of the market. They make their money off averge-Joe's at Walmart who look for "Special Edition" DVD's w/DTS 6.1 audio (English) and Hi-def remastered video. Why is this so hard for people to understand!!?? Get it through your thick skulls, these DVD's are not produced to satisfy the wants and needs of people like us!! They will sell a hellova lot more DVD's with their version than if they put out one with the exact specs you listed. Its simple buisness people, and its still the Weinstein's (who are buisnessmen not fanboys!).

But now I'm staring at the disappointing cover.

Anybody else mention the fact that this is being released on the same day as "The Forbidden Kingdom"? Coincidence? Lets see.... "we can release it on the same day as "Forbidden kingdom", hell we can stack them right next to each other on the shelf. And when people go to grab a copy of "forbidden Kingdom", they will see another "Special Editon" Jet Li DVD. And just to make sure they see it, we'll put a big picture of Jet on the cover..... brilliant!!"

Morgoth Bauglir

Alright BIG PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't wait any longer and I went to Wal Mart at midnight, had to help the guy find the DVD, then ran to the register, paid and sped home. I was planning on watching the movie, and then the special features, and then maybe the commentary if I had time tonight. I had it all planned out. But then I opened the DVD and found only one disc. I almost broke a sweat, but convinced myself it was ok. I checked the special features and there is only a commentary. I am so pissed right now. I can't believe I didn't check the DVD before I bought it. it even says that there's only the commentary. So I guess I'm gonna have to sell this copy and find the 2 disc at Best Buy or another store when I have a day off. DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!

SO PEOPLE BEWARE. I should have checked the back of the DVD, but the front of the DVD has a sticker that says "3 hours of bonus features". NOT COOL DRAGON DYNASTY!!!!

gravedigger666

Alas I partly ruined movie by watching end fight(which is excellent) from youtube last year.How is the movie in general?Plenty of bouts?

Morgoth Bauglir
Alas I partly ruined movie by watching end fight(which is excellent) from youtube last year.How is the movie in general?Plenty of bouts?

Good movie, but not great. Yes, plenty of bouts.

The movie like all other version except for Stephen Chow's version, is strongly anti-Japanese, the hate issue is raised high but never resolve in a satisfied ending. But hell, at least you get to see Jet Li's different portray of Chen Zhen, he is not a copycat like Donnie Yen or Stephen Chow.

Guest Yi-Long
Unfortunatley they dont make their money off fans like us who want/care about those aspects. We make a very tiny section of the market. They make their money off averge-Joe's at Walmart who look for "Special Edition" DVD's w/DTS 6.1 audio (English) and Hi-def remastered video. Why is this so hard for people to understand!!?? Get it through your thick skulls, these DVD's are not produced to satisfy the wants and needs of people like us!! They will sell a hellova lot more DVD's with their version than if they put out one with the exact specs you listed. Its simple buisness people, and its still the Weinstein's (who are buisnessmen not fanboys!).

Obviously, we KNOW and UNDERSTAND that, so no need for the patronizing attitude. Knowing and understanding that doesnt mean we dont have a right to bitch and moan.

edit: @ Kung Fu Bob: I couldnt care less about the cover if they had just kept original mono and included the taiwanese cut.

Guest Yi-Long
The movie like all other version except for Stephen Chow's version, is strongly anti-Japanese, the hate issue is raised high but never resolve in a satisfied ending. But hell, at least you get to see Jet Li's different portray of Chen Zhen, he is not a copycat like Donnie Yen or Stephen Chow.

See... this is why this is such a big problems. Those scenes that were cut out do a good job at showing the japanese people's doubts, insecurities, pride, etc... making this much less of a black-white issue.

You see the japanese karateteacher getting angered when he finds out his opponent had been drugged before the match, you see Jet's girlfriend bowing and showing respect after being treated poorly, you see the japanese master and the translator having a discussion about ants and elephant etc etc.

It does a good job at making these people not just 'bad' people, but people who also have doubts about the war, and pride as a fighter, etc.

I never felt FOL was strongly anti-japanese. The only 'real' japanese bad guy was Billy Chow, the main bad guy, which makes sense. In this movie you have good japanese people and also bad chinese people.

gravedigger666

Uncut, original mono, decent subs, decent videoquality. That's IT. How f-ing hard is that!?

dunno how hard is that,I am not in movie business.I am not hi-tech expert unlike you+millions of others I never found IVL shaws bad and did not see real improvement in media blasters/dd releases.for sake of companies it`s good most customers are dumbasses like me,if most buyers perfectionists those would be bust soon.

Killer Meteor
dunno how hard is that,I am not in movie business.I am not hi-tech expert unlike you+millions of others I never found IVL shaws bad and did not see real improvement in media blasters/dd releases.for sake of companies it`s good most customers are dumbasses like me,if most buyers perfectionists those would be bust soon.

Thing is; majority of DVDs are fine. Its those of HK films where annoying little liberties are taken. Often, things are done to them, such as remixing and cutting. If they left well alone, they'd probably sell better, if only by a bit

Really, Joe Six pack is going to buy this, if at all, because it's got Jet Li, and there's an English language option. He's not going to go into a paddy because there is a mono track, or because the film is (eg) 100min instead of 91. But the serious fan will turn down a cut release, or one with bad remixes

The thing about the IVL Shaws, once they stopped doing remixes, is that generally you knew what you'd get. Nice print, original mono, subtitles of okish quality, crummy PAL-NTSC picture

With DD, they promise a lot but often slip up. Sometimes, not so badly. But other times, especially Tai Chi Master, they slip up bad

gravedigger666

Fair enough.Movies should definitely be released in best quality/soundtrack available if they do not do so maybe owner of copyright is asking extra money or sth....

The Running Man

gravedigger666,

If you don't seem to be bothered with much of the problems of these DVDs, then why reply by insulting those that actually do see the problems and point them out for others that want to be informed? No one's stopping you from buying the disc.

gravedigger666

good point.it`s really not my rats ass if some faults bothers you...like said before I am not tech-expert just average customer,tell me title of recent media blasters/dd title which overcomes CLEARLY previous release in audio/picture quality I track those down and view those on friends lcd telly.I have no trouble admitting if I am wrong,I am pretty sure no see differences..then again I cannot distinguish mandarin from cantonese

Killer Meteor

Well it's about one's individual standards. I think we all agree on certain things like widescreen and things like that

Problems occur when people complain (reasonably) about problems like the audio being messed with, or cuts, and then we are basically told to shut up

If you look at other, better (there, I said it) forums, you can see much more mature and balanced reactions to such shennanigans. DD and before HKL got away with a lot cause people didn't give a damn

gravedigger666

now when to think technically most enjoyable movie I have seen is ivl shao-lin temple.subtitles are on black area below,that was extremely pleasing for eyes.

Archived