Riot- Gary Daniels and Sugar Ray Leonard

Morgoth Bauglir

Morgoth Bauglir

Found this at CD Tradepost for $1.99. I knew it was going to be horrible but for that price I had to get it anyway. To my surprise it's a lot of fun. The story sucks, but there's a ton of cool action scenes and some good cheese. I had a damn good time watching this! So who else has seen it, and what are your thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was quite a fun film...love the bar fight where Sugar Ray use his boxing skills while Gary belts out his frenetic kicks. The action was the best part..I think they were done by Art Camacho.

kingofkungfu2002

I found all of Gary Daniels 'PM Entertainment' movies enjoyable :)

Not sure about some of the dodgy Irish accents in Riot though :P

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I agree. They should have had Patrick Kilpatrick be his usual badass self instead of some Irish dude.

I found all of Gary Daniels 'PM Entertainment' movies enjoyable :)

I did also...Rage, Riot, Firepower, Ring of Fire. I also liked his first few US films, American Streetfighter and Capital Punishment. But I wasn't too thrilled with Full Impact, except GD's fight with some drug dealers led by Ron Hall.

Chinatown Kid

I liked Gary in the film Bloodmoon, the villain had some nice kicks as well(John Selvetti sc?). To Be The Best is one of my favorite PM Entertainment movies, some nice fight scenes choreographed by Camacho. I'll have to check out Riot, I'm curious to see what Leonard looks like in a choregraphed fight, he along with Roberto Duran, Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns were my favorite boxers.

Morgoth Bauglir

Darren Shahlavi is the bloodmoon killer. Salvitti's the guy who works with Donnie Yen.

Don't expect anything from Leonard. His fighting is nothign special, but I did enjoy his role in the movie.

Chinatown Kid

Ah, Darren Shahlavi. Thanks for the correction Morgoth, got his named mixed up with Salvitti.

So Leonard's not to immpressive onscreen huh? That often happens with real fighters, Leonard was spectacular in his prime but often times that ability doesn't translate well to the movie screen. People like Benny Urquidez of course is an exception.

Perfect example was Bloodmatch, one of the worst MA films I've ever seen. Benny The Jet had the best fight scene and he could have easily destroyed Thom Mathews. Thom Mathews should NOT have been in this movie. They should have casted someone better with Benny's choreography.

John Salvitti still works with Donnie Yen. He is the mixed martial arts consultant of Yen's Stunt Team. He looks better now than he did with some of his looks from the movies he appeared in. I hope to someday see him on screen again taking on Yen in a MMA-style fight. That would just totally rock!

Archived