Tiger Killer & The Delightful Forest

Topgun

Hi all,

If in case any of you missed this two (I call crazy sequels)parts, "The Delightful Forest" begins which "Tiger Killer" left off, which in a time frame of 10 years apart. I don't like this part.

Share your thoughts.

Topgun

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both deliver excellent performances from Ti Lung who got better and better with each succeeding film. Both of these are true classics for different reasons. FOREST is a character driven "Eastern" with a heavier accent on incidents leading up to a brawl as opposed to brawls leading into incidental situations.

TIGER KILLER is a character driven dramatic feature with a touch of martial action and a plethora of meticulously ornate set design and a dynamite showcase for the versatile Ku Feng.

oldeschool17

Did anybody get a james bond vibe at the beginning of Delightful Forest or was it a bit to pay homage to spaghetti westerns(i dont watch spaghetti's,venoms5 can you confirm)?

The part im talking about is this sorry for the blurriness(thanks IVL):

631fc258df.jpg

Well, they did use music from Sergio Leone's DUCK, YOU SUCKER! (1971). The Shaw Brothers patterned there movies mostly after Japanese cinema which this shot of looking through the hole in the hat alludes to. The Italian westerns, while an "original" genre in itself, also borrowed from Japanese cinema. Chang Cheh did direct three films that were very similar in structure to Italian western conventions--THE ANONYMOUS HEROES (1971), INVINCIBLE FIST (1969) and THE SAVAGE FIVE (1974). Even the titles sometimes are similar as in Chang's SEVEN MAN ARMY (1976) mimicks Don Taylor's Italian western film, FIVE MAN ARMY (1968).

You guys just confused me (but that's OK - its been a long day after a nice 3 day holiday weekend).

The Water Margin series consisted of 4 films:

- The Water Margin

- Pursuit

- The Delightful Forest

- All Men Are Brothers

I realize that the original publication is much larger in scope and that the four films above --

only touch on various chapters of that novel ... but how does Tiger Killer tie into all this?

I have yet to watch either film in the thread hence my question. Thx...

Well, they did use music from Sergio Leone's DUCK, YOU SUCKER! (1971).

Didn't care for this one at all...

"...seanseansean"

After the Dollar Trilogy and OUATITW, Morricone/Leone seemed like they could do no wrong -- but I guess its all subjective.

oldeschool17

In terms of storyline, the order would be:

Amorous Lotus Pan(technically speaking is a prequel to tiger killer)

Tiger Killer

Delightful Forest

Water Margin

All Men are Brothers

You guys just confused me (but that's OK - its been a long day after a nice 3 day holiday weekend).

The Water Margin series consisted of 4 films:

- The Water Margin

- Pursuit

- The Delightful Forest

- All Men Are Brothers

I realize that the original publication is much larger in scope and that the four films above --

only touch on various chapters of that novel ... but how does Tiger Killer tie into all this?

I have yet to watch either film in the thread hence my question. Thx...

"...seanseansean"

After the Dollar Trilogy and OUATITW, Morricone/Leone seemed like they could do no wrong -- but I guess its all subjective.

"...seanseansean"

I much prefer Sergio Corbucci to Leone. He was just as popular in Italy as Leone was. There was another Sergio that was huge over there, Sergio Sollima. Corbucci, IMO is a better director than Leone. He was far more versatile and willing to take chances much like Chang Cheh. Leone also was incapable of directing an action scene and left this aspect of his films to his AD's such as Antonio Margheriti and Giancarlo Santi. Sorry to derail the thread...:D

Kung Foolery
Well, they did use music from Sergio Leone's DUCK, YOU SUCKER! (1971).

I thought Delightful Forest used music from Once Upon A Time In The West?

In terms of storyline, the order would be: Amorous Lotus Pan(technically speaking is a prequel to tiger killer)

Tiger Killer

Delightful Forest

Water Margin

All Men are Brothers

Appreciate that OS17.

I much prefer Sergio Corbucci to Leone. He was just as popular in Italy as Leone was. There was another Sergio that was huge over there, Sergio Sollima. Corbucci, IMO is a better director than Leone.

Can't make that call though I still love Leone's stuff.

I've only seen one Sollima film - The Big Gundown - which I labeled (at first) as "The Big Letdown." It has grown on me since.

Only have one Corbucci flick - The Great Silence - which I have yet to watch.

I'm sure after I've seen multiple films by each of them I can make a better assessment.

(When you have some time, PM me some of your top picks from each of these and I'll check them out).

Pursuit was part of The Water Margin series?

According to CC's Memoir, it is (though not directed by CC).

Maybe someone has more info on this?

PURSUIT (1972) was directed by Cheng Kang. I did a review of it here as well as talked about it in the Cheng Kang article I posted in the reference section. Great movie. Some like it, and some don't. Yueh Hua plays the same guy he played in WATER MARGIN. TRILOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP (1972) also deals with the 'Water Margin' characters in the last segment.

Can't make that call though I still love Leone's stuff.

I've only seen one Sollima film - The Big Gundown - which I labeled (at first) as "The Big Letdown." It has grown on me since.

Only have one Corbucci flick - The Great Silence - which I have yet to watch.

I'm sure after I've seen multiple films by each of them I can make a better assessment.

(When you have some time, PM me some of your top picks from each of these and I'll check them out).

I've referred to Sollima's movie as the same. Did you see the uncut version that runs around 16 minutes longer? If it was only 90 minutes, you saw the cut one. the sequel is better, IMO. However, I'd say TBG was Van Cleef's best role he ever got. Sorry to derail the thread yet again. I'll PM you briefly.

Finally watched Tiger Killer last night.

Phenomenal flick! Great acting. Creative direction. Compelling storyline.

When you get a nice mix of the above, you actually don't need (or miss) the lack of kung.

The action in the finale was just enough spicing to give it that little extra.

Type of film you can introduce to a non-MA fan, get them ingrained in the story and -oh look- we got some old school kung at the end.

My question is ... what's with the little feet?

Seems like everyone had a foot fetish in this flick (even the old monk eyeballed them).

Asian women's crumpled feet was seen as very sexy back then. It seems only director Li Han Hsiang was willing to showcase this attribute in his films. I've seen it in several other movies of his. The process is seemingly a painful one to get the females feet bent and twisted in such a fashion.

• Administrator

Yeah foot binding, to hinder their growth, is one of those things men selfishly encouraged women to do because they thought little feet were sexy. Much like men today that encourage women to get breast implants and plastic surgery. It's funny how much and how little things change over the years.

I watched DELIGHTFUL FOREST first, not realizing it had a "prequel" of sorts. I absolutely loved this flick! It's now one of my favorite Ti Lung films. The finale is awesome.

I just watched TIGER KILLER recently and I agree with Teako's comments. Lite on the fu, but an engaging story with great acting. Ku Feng as a twisted little midget? I'd heard it, but didn't believe it until I'd seen it.

Teako- you're in for a real treat when you get to watching DELIGHTFUL FOREST.

Just for the record:

Ku Feng won Best Supporting Actor at the 1982 Golden Horse Awards in Taiwan for his performance as Wu Song's deformed brother in TIGER KILLER.

Ti Lung played Wu Song in all four of these: THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST (1972), THE WATER MARGIN (1972), ALL MEN ARE BROTHERS (1973), TIGER KILLER (1982).

Tiger killer is an absolute stunning movie, being a Chanbara fan I always thought most KF films lacked the emotional depth Japanese movies achieved(not that KF doesn't have it's own merits), this movie is certinely on the same level, the relationship between Ti Lung and Ku Feng's characters is very heartfelt, Li Han Hsiang did an excelent job at making you feel for these characters.

I've yet to see Delightful Forest dangit.

And who doesn't like little crumpled Asian feetXD, I got a kick out of the part where they stole her little bootys.

• Administrator

Yes, it is horrible! I saw footage somewhere of the results of foot "binding". They show the woman take of her shoe and you see this bizarre little sock covered foot. It's weird, but kind of cute in a way. Then she takes off her sock and it's absolutely sickening how twisted and misshapen her poor feet are! :o

I can watch the goriest movies without a problem. But real suffering (animal or human) makes my stomach turn. :(

Finally watched Tiger Killer last night.

Phenomenal flick! Great acting. Creative direction. Compelling storyline.

When you get a nice mix of the above, you actually don't need (or miss) the lack of kung.

The action in the finale was just enough spicing to give it that little extra.

Type of film you can introduce to a non-MA fan, get them ingrained in the story and -oh look- we got some old school kung at the end.

Yes!Just viewed this again for I believe the 2nd time... What a film, and great performances by Ku Feng and Wang Ping! She had that devilish persona down!

P.S. ...

What an Ass!

:nerd:

Tiger killer is an absolute stunning movie, being a Chanbara fan I always thought most KF films lacked the emotional depth Japanese movies achieved(not that KF doesn't have it's own merits), this movie is certinely on the same level, the relationship between Ti Lung and Ku Feng's characters is very heartfelt, Li Han Hsiang did an excelent job at making you feel for these characters.

I've yet to see Delightful Forest dangit.

And who doesn't like little crumpled Asian feetXD, I got a kick out of the part where they stole her little bootys.

I hope you've seen this film by now... The end fight is wonderful-blood everywhere! :bigsmile:

Ti Lung- once again a true charismatic hero!

Archived