RIP Sydney Pollack

kungfusamurai

kungfusamurai

Just found out that director/actor Sydney Pollack just passed away. He's had an impressive filmography, but for us martial arts movie fans, the one film that relates most to us was his direction of The Yakuza with Robert Mitchum and Ken Takakura.

In addition to that film, he also directed the wonderful Three Days Of The Condor, the Oscar winning Out of Africa, the thriller The Firm, and the comedy Tootsie.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/26/pollack.obit.ap/index.html

KFS

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Pollard

He had a long working relationship with Robert Redford, one of my least favorite American actors. THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR was one of the best of these films they did together.

CASTLE KEEP is also an interesting Pollack film. It's an unusual WW2 movie starring Burt Lancaster where he and his squad have to defend a castle against Germans. I vaguely recall it had some anti-war message but a lot of films from the Vietnam era did.

I will always remember him for The Way We Were. He was in the audience for Barbra Streisand's One Voice concert, cheering her on with standing ovations.

TibetanWhiteCrane

YAKUZA and THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR are two of my 70's favourites... granted, I have quite a lot of those!

He was a good director, good actor and funny too!

Archived