The Good the Bad and the Weird

Ivan Gorchev

I don't know if this helps but the UK blu-ray and DVD has a ridiculous amount of extras, including all the deleted scenes.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if this helps but the UK blu-ray and DVD has a ridiculous amount of extras, including all the deleted scenes.

The UK release is cut by BBFC (for horsefalls), though.

I just don't know why they didn't put both versions on BR! Then you can decide for yourself which version you like better.

So I have to see if the Korean version is on BR which has the ending I want, and really completes this movie.

Morgoth Bauglir

Holy cow. This movie has enough action for 10 movies. I’m not a big fan of Korean cinema, but this movie is awesome.

Holy cow. This movie has enough action for 10 movies. I’m not a big fan of Korean cinema, but this movie is awesome.

Morgoth Bauglir: Yes but if you seen the cut version your really missed a better ending!

Morgoth Bauglir

That is probably true. The ending wasn't that great. I'm gonna have to look the other endig up on youtube sometime.

OK I'm going to bring up an old Wound, is there an International BR version with the extended version in R1 out? The US Fucked up this movie by cutting the ending!

OK I'm going to bring up an old Wound, is there an International BR version with the extended version in R1 out? The US Fucked up this movie by cutting the ending!

There's a different ending?!

The US Fucked up this movie by cutting the ending!

Unless you know more than I do (which is very possible), I'd say it's very possible the director himself cut the ending, rather than the United States of America. Kim is somewhat notorious for always making several versions of his films. With A Bittersweet Life he released a (superior) director's cut after the original theatrical version. With I Saw the Devil the International Version was his director's cut while the "original" Korean version was heavily censored for violence. With The Good the Bad the Weird it has also been said that the International Version (aka the one "fucked up by USA") features the original ending, while the Korean one is an extended ending.

I Saw the Devil is especially problematic as both versions feature remarkable scenes that are missing from the other. But this is also partly true to The Good the Bad the Weird, as the shorter international version features some scenes not found in the Korean version.

There's a different ending?!

@waywardsage: Its not that its a different ending, there's about 5-min more to it that really completes the film. The US version cut it out and really ruined it. I have a boot of the movie that is the international Korean uncut version which is so much better.And trust me those 5-min makes a big difference. I'm still pissed and refuse to watch the US BR again. I fucking hate when the US companies do shit like this, and this is a great movie, one of my favorites.

@Takuma: If it was the Director then Damn him for that! But both versions should have been put on the disc to watch!

I'm going to have to get an all region BR player now because to many movies aren't being released in the US region free.

The so-called US cut is really the international cut. Which unfortunately seems to be the only released version available now, anywhere. The only way to get the Korean theatrical cut is to buy the 3 disc Korean DVD release (Region 3).

It is doubtful that a multiple disc Bluray release will see the light of day. The current version available on even Korean Bluray is the international cut. :sad:

Word to the wise, if there is an alternate cut of a Korean film that you like... buy up the disc quick. Korean films in general always seem to go out of print fast, with re-releases being uncommon to rare, depending on the film.

YesAsia has the BR 3 Disc verison but its region 2 or 3, so I'm going to buy an all region player because I want the uncut version of this great movie.

Yeah, If your interested in foreign cinema, you really have to invest in a regionless player. Otherwise, there are a lot of fantastic films that can be missed.

"The ending of the international version (aka Cannes cut) reflects the end that director Kim Ji-woon originally wanted"...

@daisho2004: Sorry to say, the 3 disc is a normal DVD release. There is only a single disc version of the Korean Bluray, and that only contains the international cut.

@daisho2004: The Korean theatrical cut, is only on the 3 disc dvd. None of the BR releases have the extended ending except as an extra. Besides, the two cuts are actually different from one another. It's not just that 5 minutes are missing, each version has changes made to it.

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=1912519

I actually prefer the Korean theatrical cuts of Kim's films myself. He is the one that can be blamed for the international versions... as he is the one that does the re-cutting. Other than I Saw the Devil, I think the International Cuts are a travesty.

WOW OK I had no idea there were 3 different versions. But I have an extended version I got from one of my oversea sellers and I love that version! I hate the Butchered American ending!

Nope, just the 2. Should only be the Korean Theatrical Cut and the International Cut. I usually stay away from Kim's International Cuts, with I Saw the Devil being the exception.

One Armed Boxer

Is it just me, or is the conversation between posts 58 - 74 an exact replica of the one that goes on between posts 38 - 49....:tongue:

Only Bluray release of the Korean version remains the French DVD, no English subs.

Archived