Fantasy Themed KF That Isn't Corny?

PsiKnifeKFT

PsiKnifeKFT

Once the 80's rolled around there seemed to be an uptick in exploitation, wire-fu and horror/fantasy themed KF. A few I've had the misfortune of seeing, but since I have a weakness for Fantasy themes (a little magic goes a long way if the story, direction, and acting is agreeable) was wondering if there are any suggestions for good Fantasy theme KF I may have slept on the 70's 80's 90's or in the past decade (*Preferably that doesn't include Yun-Fat Chow or Jet Li)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few of my favorites are the Chinese Ghost Story movies, Chinese Odyssey movies and Zu Warriors.

Morgoth Bauglir

Sword Stained With Royal Blood (1993). Danny Lee plays this real badass dude, and there's this guy who sees his face at the start of the movie. danny Lee kills anyone who sees his face so the guy pokes his own eyes out as soon as he can, and says he saw nothing. His life is spared and he meets danny Lee in a chance encounter later in the movie. This is my favorite scene and to me it alone makes the movie worth watching. This movie has the most perfect blend of comedy and drama I have ever experienced, and that scene is a great example of what I am talking about (you'll know what I'm saying when you see it). I have read a lot of reviews from people saying they don't understand the story, and this amazes me. Its a wonderful story that's well told and has a good amount of depth. The magic stuff definitely isn't the reason to see it, because it's a bit cheap looking, but its a great overall movie. Get it immediately.

Morgoth Bauglir

Green Snake's another one. Not any real fighting, but a truly magical movie.

In addition to what are mention above:

The Swordsman Trilogy

Heroic Trio 1 & 2 - Mordern day but good

Kung Fu Wonderchild Series Starring Lin Hsiao Lan.

Wonderchild also has Yukari Oshima, Jack Long & Chang Shan. Magic of Spell has Cheng Pei Pei & Chang Shan. And Magic Warriors also have Alexander Lo Rei & Chang Shan.

Wonderchild & Warriors directed by Tso Nam Lee & MOS Directed by

Chung Wu Ching who also directed er in Twelve animals & A Heroic Fight

Kung Fu Wonderchild

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5-LOXAUZs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5-LOXAUZs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Magic Of Spell

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceqbkEMjaFU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceqbkEMjaFU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Magic Warriors

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlSwgcsc0uU&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlSwgcsc0uU&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

The Swordsman Trilogy

You honestly wouldn't call Swordsman 3 corny? This movie was WAY too bizarre for me to deserve a second viewing, and had very little swordplay. If I remember correctly, there was only the one brief hustle between Rongguang Yu and Eddie Ko Hung. I like Brigititte Lin alot, but the whole cross-dressing maniac and samurai midget goblin-thingy got a bit out of hand.

You honestly wouldn't call Swordsman 3 corny? This movie was WAY too bizarre for me to deserve a second viewing, and had very little swordplay. If I remember correctly, there was only the one brief hustle between Rongguang Yu and Eddie Ko Hung. I like Brigititte Lin alot, but the whole cross-dressing maniac and samurai midget goblin-thingy got a bit out of hand.

Bizarre, extravagant, weird, screwy, over-the-top yes but not corny. There isn't that many swordplay fights - the movie is filled with supernatural & magical fights. The cross-dressing thing did throw people off -but as in the part 2- that's what Asia the Invincible was (didn't that stuff between Asia & Jet threw alot of people off?). But to me it is entertaining - It is a good fantasy movie.

This is one of the movies that each viewer has to decide for themselves. You could have 100 people view it & you will get 100 different opinions. It's viewers choice - there are some people who thinks that The Bride with With Hair & A chinese Ghost Story movies are corny and some who thinks that they are great. I like & enjoy them all - they are movies meant to entertain & you have to suppend your belief & just relax & enjoy them. Everybodys taste is different

The East is Red Trailer

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMFFU1vD38&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qMFFU1vD38&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

PsiKnifeKFT

Thanks for the suggestions. I must admit, if going on YouTube clips alone in this thread, The East is Red looks intriguing, moreso than the other clips that looked a bit silly (so far). Though all that cross dressing talk isn't earning any points lol.

Based on reviews, Bride With White Hair, and Chinese Ghost stories look "must see". Sword Stained With Royal Blood sounds interesting as well.

Green Snake's another one. Not any real fighting, but a truly magical movie.

Yes it is:D

Green_Snake2.jpg

Boxers Omen and Battle Wizard are two of my favs, though the latter could be a bit goofy, but in the most excellent way:cool:

TheKFC those Youtubes are Fn great, is that Chen Kuan Tai at the end of Magic Spell?! I need to pick these up.

Some others that haven't been mentioned.

These three from the Yuen clan:

Miracle Fighters (1982)

cuTNejj5ihc

Shaolin Drunkard (1983)

Taoism Drunkard (1984)

Movies based on the 'Six Fingered Lyre Demon':

Deadful Melody (1993)

The Magic Crane (1993)

Evil Cult (Kung Fu Cult Master)

Peacock King

Kung Fu vs Acrobatic

TheKFC those Youtubes are Fn great, is that Chen Kuan Tai at the end of Magic Spell?! I need to pick these up.

Chang Shan. He is also fighting Alexander Lo Rei in the clip of Magic Warriors.

Brigadier Chow

Here are some others with the fantasy element seldom seen...worth checking out IMO.

BURNING OF THE RED LOTUS MONESTARY-1982 Pearl Chang Lin

IMPERIAL SWORD, CROUCHING DEVIL-1982 Meng Fei, Chang Yi

CHINESE MAGIC-1983 Chen Hung Lieh, Yip Fei Yang & Shi Szu

KUNG FU STUDENT-1988 Alex Lo Rei & Lin Hsiao Lan

DEMONIC UMBRELLA-1993

first off: thank you TDB, that was the movie i was looking for in ages, seen it when i was eight, and 14 years later i still can remember about 80% of it, excluding the title.

Other movies that worth mentioning: Buddha's Palm

Tsui Hark's Burning Paradise ('93): for some reason this one never get remastered

Jet Li's The Kungfu Cult Master, if you read the book this one is fun fun fun

Stephen Chow's Royal Tramp: if you understand the wacky mo lei tau, this is Chow at his best attacking your funnybones

Shaw Bros did put out quite a bit of fantasy wuxia (here's a sampling):

HOLY FLAME OF THE MARTIAL WORLD

THE BASTARD SWORDSMAN

RETURN OF THE BASTARD SWORDSMAN

WEB OF DEATH

HEAVEN AND HELL (not straight wuxia)

LITTLE DRAGON MAIDEN

THE BRAVE ARCHER (and sequels)

DEMON OF THE LUTE (another one based on the 'Six Fingered Lyre Demon)

THE ENCHANTRESS

THE MAD MONK

BEWITCHED (the prequel to BOXER'S OMEN)

BLOODY PARROT

PORTRAIT IN CRYSTAL

Delirious:

Miracle Fighters is available, but not Shaolin/Taoism Drunkard, unfortunately.

Miracle Fighters is available, but not Shaolin/Taoism Drunkard, unfortunately.

Huh?

I have 2 different prints of Taoism Drunkard and the GZ print of Shaolin Drunkard (there is an uk print available aswell).

Young Taoism Fighter now also legally available on vcd btw.

Archived