Bruce Lee: The Musical

daisho2004

daisho2004

"Bruce Lee: The Musical"

Yes its true I read this article in the NY Daily News on Tuesday, coming to Broadway NYC in 2010 is "Bruce Lee: The Musical" it is going to be a Martial Arts show, Chinese Opera all rolled into one about his life. This should be a very interesting show.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

That sounds totally messed up. Bruce Lee would give the whole production a roundhouse kick to the groin if he were alive. I wonder if the cast will be made up of Filipinos, like Miss Saigon was. :)

KFS

Monk Sante

So Funny! I can see it now............You've offended my Faaaammmilllyy, and you offended the shaoooolin temple. (hahaha)

what's next?? :rolleyes:

Black Dragon

Why, just why?. Did Linda and Shannon (I saw Enter The Eagle) need money that bad.

Chinatown Kid

Poor Bruce, he's probably spinning in his grave knowing they have turned his life story into some kind of sissy musical.:(

daisho2004

I was doing a search for the hell of it and its all over the Web just type in "Bruce Lee: The Musical" and a whole lot of buzz is swarming around this Play.

ps: And you thought I was on Drugs Right...LOL

Here is one such article:

Well, Why Not? 'Bruce Lee: The Musical' Coming to Broadway

Posted May 22nd 2008 11:32AM by Eric D. Snider

Filed under: Foreign Language, Music & Musicals, Fandom

I can't say this is absolutely the strangest idea for a musical that I've heard of -- not since someone did a pop opera about Jerry Springer -- but it's high on the list. David Henry Hwang is writing the script for a Broadway musical based on the life of martial-arts film icon Bruce Lee. Currently being called Bruce Lee: Journey to the West, the show is scheduled to make its New York debut sometime in the 2010-2011 theater season.

According to Variety, the show will incorporate Lee's biography with elements from the Monkey King story of Chinese mythology. BBC News adds that the musical will include martial arts, Chinese opera, modern dance, and pop music. So, yeah, it gets weirder the more I hear about it. (That same BBC News article mentions someone is writing a musical about Nelson Mandela, too, by the way.)

The songs for Hwang's script are being written by David Yazbek, who is no stranger to movie-related Broadway shows. He also wrote the tunes for the stage versions of The Fully Monty and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, earning Tony nominations for both.

Bruce Lee died in 1973 of a swelling of the brain, though conspiracy theories about his sudden passing have abounded ever since. How the Monkey King and modern dance fits in to all that, I don't know.

That sounds totally messed up. Bruce Lee would give the whole production a roundhouse kick to the groin if he were alive. I wonder if the cast will be made up of Filipinos, like Miss Saigon was. :)

KFS

I agree, it doesn't help that most Broadway actors are gay and couldn't possibly do his life story justice. I'd seriously doubt the Lees are behind this but they'll make money only because it's using the Lee name and Bruce's image.

Archived