Executioners from Shaolin (1977)

Guest ToothbrushFu

Guest ToothbrushFu

OK, here's a rather esoteric question. I'm just watching Executioners from Shaolin again and noticed something interesting that I hadn't spotted before. When Chen Kuan-tai first goes to the temple to fight Lo Lieh there are a number of tai chi yin-yang symbols in evidence. You know, the black and white teardrops in a circle with a dot of the other colour in them. Normally these have white in the ascendancy on the left and heading in a clockwise direction. However when CKT fights two sword-wielding guys the tai chi symbols on the back of their robes have black in the ascendancy, i.e. its rotated 180 degrees. But there is also a large symbol on the wall, which also has black in the ascendancy, but the direction is reversed so that its anti-clockwise.

Are these mistakes? Or more likely is there some significance in this, e.g. to suggest that Pai Mei is evil or something like that? C'mon, some of you Chinese philosophy / martial arts type people must have an answer for me, othewise this is gonna bug me until I pass out in a drunken stupor and forget all about it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tosh

Well, I'm no expert but I believe the meaning is the same no matter what way they're sitting or facing, actually they pull back and forth at each other balancing the energy out.

Guest whiphero

EXECUTIONERS_FROM_SHAOLIN-0.jpg

EXECUTIONERS_FROM_SHAOLIN-1.jpg

The symbol on the wall in the first image is the traditional Taoist representation. It is symbolic of how Li (external) energy (as opposed to Chi - internal energy) travels (downward through all things yang and upwards through all things yin). This may also be the correct way to hang the symbol to counteract bad energy (Feng Shui), however I am unsure of this. The inverted 'S' shape in the middle also represents the star formation of 'The Dipper' and can be rotated to represent the four seasons (mimicking how 'The Dipper' changes through the seasons).

In the second picture you will note that the symbols the two swordsmen differ from each other - rotated both vertically and horizontally - think of the symbol as less a circle and more a sphere. The image below should help illustrate the dynamic.

yin%20yang.gif

My interpretation of this would be that the two swordsmen are different sides of the same coin and thus fight as one.

Generally, like Tosh said it doesn't matter which way it is drawn though it does make a difference depending depending on what it is being used for i.e. acupuncture, feng shui, fortune telling etc.

Guest Shaolin Monk

Can someone help me for a moment. :) Im wondering if one of you could check to see if your original

IVL of ''Executioners from Shaolin" is on DVD-9. If so please give me the size it takes up on the disc.

TYA (thanks in advance)

anyone remeber the title to this movie. I think it was Ti Lung practicing on a bronze statue he put steel berrings in and had to collect them all. The point was to find the weak spot on the bad guy.

That's it.. Thanks I was headed down the wrong path with Ti Lung and couldn't find it. Many thanks

Archived