Mar's Villa

deathdunt

Shaw's I think was the only studio that allowed him serious roles predominantly as villains. DRAGON ON FIRE was another one I could barely finish. Saw it at the drive in years back then bought the GZ VHS tape some time later. I'd be willing to see this one again but I remember tossing this one in the trash, too at the time.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Maybe it's because I'm a big Phillip Ko and John Liu fan, but I love Dragon on Fire, and those guys are amazing in this movie, especially Ko. Obviously it is not a well made movie, but fun to watch for the fights and all the super cheesy scenes.

Im a big fan of Dragon On Fire as well. But I'm a huge fan of hokey stuff. John Liu, Tino Wong, Dragon Lee and Philip Ko is an awesome bunch and they all fight well.

But then again I like Shaolin Chastity Kung Fu alot, so who am I to say what's enjoyable :)

Now SHAOLIN CHASTITY KUNG FU is good.:D I used to have this under the title REVENGE OF THE DRAGON. I like nutty stuff, too, but DRAGON ON FIRE did nothing for me. Good cast though. I need to see it again, though. I may like it more now than before but I remember this not making any sense whatsoever.

Chinatown Kid
That pale faced guy is the same guy who gets his thing bitten off. Chan Lau. Pretty much the same character in every movie. Almost always plays a really stupid guy, and sometimes he's full on mentally retarded. Great performnce from him in Dragon on fire. I love how his face changes colors scene to scene. That movie was a top notch production:D

Oh, I was thinking those were 2 different characters but it's been a while since I watched it.:D The fights were pretty good in this, they just had some zany ass characters featured but they were good for some laughs. Especially the part when Chan Lau got his penis bit off, you could tell it was a hot dog weenie they put in the dog's mouth lol.:P

Dragon on fire/Dragon the hero is one ace movie! It gets my vote as the most psychedelic indy Kung Fu movie. The reverse photography and weird lens use is out of this world! And what about John Liu's voice dubber! The best ever. Mar's Villa is also great, Stepen Tung Wai is brilliant in this one despite the fact he doesnt really get to fight. I may check out that double disc version. Fighting ace is allright despite the fact that it blows its load way too early with the Liu vs Kwan young moon fight. Great crash zoom at the end!

Morgoth Bauglir
So is DRAGON'S BLOOD and NINJA IN THE CLAWS OF THE CIA in the so-bad-it's-good category like ZEN KWAN DO STRIKES IN PARIS or are they just bad? I have one Liu flick which I could not finish, TRINITY GOES EAST. The part with the pig in the Baby cart a la LONE WOLF was right funny though.

I must not have noticed this question before. I thought Dragon Blood was a HORRIBLE movie, but it has some good stuff here and there in the fights, and John Liu vs Phillip Ko is a great fight. Worth watching just for that IMO. Ninja in the Claw of the CIA I enjoyed, but it is another horrible movie.

And I finally got to rewatch Fighting Ace. You are right Cliff Ching Ching is not all that great in this one. It doesn't look like he matches up well with Liu's style. And I have to comment on Kwan Young's Moon intro fight. Man that was amazing. I think I almost had a seizure. And there's one guy's dubbed voice that had me rolling with laughter. Great scene.

Mars Villa is over-rated IMO along with Shaolin Ex Monk and Death Duel of Kung Fu-

Mars just lacks, the fghts should have been better Kao and Liu should have meant top grade fights...

Shaolin Ex Monk has some terrible edits

Death Duel lacks in the choreography and contains way too much doubling

I actually liked Fightig Ace probably the best I've seen Liu, although he didn't seem entirely comfortable with the choreography

At this point will mention that he was good in Secret Rivals I & II and Invincible Armour not seen incredible Kung Fu mission yet

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah Shaolin Ex Monk is a bit of a stinker. Great cast though. Death Duel is one of my favorites. I have to remind myself to blink when watching it.

I have to agree with the TC on this one. Granted, I'm still kind of a young pup when it comes to these kinds of movies (I've seen around 50 or so), but Mar's Villa is one of my absolute favorites.

The whole movie just feels so epic! The story is very powerful. The soundtrack is excellent. I thought the fight scenes were top-notch and especially loved the whole slow-motion thing.

I love it.

... What in the hell was up with that sore on Tung Wai's lip?!:o!!!

Man, everytime I saw that thing, I was like Mike Myers in Goldmember, when he saw that mole on the guys face!!! Maybe he got kicked in the mouth and they couldn't apply make-up or something? Yuck!

Mar's Villa was good flick. I appreciated the cast of Philip Ko, Tung Wei, Chia Kai and the no humor.

My all time John Liu favorite is Death Duel of Kung Fu aka Showdown of Master Warriors. Fight choreography is top notch. John Liu and Don Wong Tao never looked sharper imo, EVER. Throw in Han Ying and you have yourself a classic.

Guest Markgway

I had no idea that Crash's DVD contained a second (bonus!) disc with an anamorphic 2.35 widescreen print in Mandarin (mono) with (burnt) English subs! Amazing the stuff you miss. Quick question is the Mandarin version progressive or interlaced/standards conversion? Don't care about the dub disc, for me it's a coaster.

Archived