Inside/À l'intérieur (Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, 2007)

venoms5

INSIDE 2007

Alysson Paradis (Sarah), Beatrice Dalle (The Woman)

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW***

After losing her husband and nearly her baby in a terrible car accident, Sarah returns home after four months in the hospital. Expecting to give birth on Christmas Day, Sarah is visited Christmas Eve by a mysterious woman who just stares at her through the windows. She cannot make out who she is but it becomes quickly apparent that this homicidal female wants to get into the house. After notifying the police, they search around and find nothing. They tell her she should be safe for the night. However, the evil woman manages to get inside the house. Her purpose is quickly revealed--she wants the baby Sarah is carrying and is determined to kill anybody who comes into the house that may stop her from her horrific mission, the reason for this, as well as the identity of this psychopath isn't revealed until the final, disturbing moments.

Absolutely one of the most harrowing, disgusting and vile movies ever made. Words cannot describe how horrifyingly brutal this movie is. A complete and total nightmare of a movie that, once this viciously sadistic bitch gets in the house, the film never lets up and becomes an endless cavalcade of wall-to-wall gore interspersed with some truly nail-biting suspense. The final 15 minutes goes places horror films haven't been in YEARS. While there is a near non-stop avalanche of gore on display, the intense nature of the film accentuates these scenes unlike most all other gore movies.

Infanticide is the main order of the day here. The violence perpetrated on a pregnant woman is excruciating to watch and possibly the most extreme scenes of this kind of brutality I've seen. Throats are slit, eyes gouged out, brains pierced, a face is burned beyond recognition, animal violence, castration, exploding heads and the most vicious deaths by scissors ever put to screen. The killer, whose name you never learn, is about as close to a human TERMINATOR as you're going to get. Meticulously, and maliciously savaging anybody who happens to enter the house while the bloodied and mutilated Sarah has locked herself inside a bathroom. Even a group of police officers are cut down by this woman. The early scenes in which you see her have a Carpenteresque quality about them as she is seen in the background of a newly developed photograph or as a silhouette outside or a vague apparition slowly dissipating from a window behind the unknowing protagonist.

The directors have fashioned a sincere punch to the gut that never allows the viewer to get back up without being punched again with another wild set piece even more gruesome than the one before it. The final 10 minutes really pours on over the top violence and the vastly unsettling musical score only compounds the ferociousness of the movie. THE BEST horror film I've seen in a long time and easily the best one I've seen for the past two years. Not since CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST or, even more so, MEN BEHIND THE SUN have I considered shutting a film off before it was finished. The grim finale ensures you will be thinking about what you've seen long after the film is over.

Part of Dimension's Extreme label, they already put out the well done, wild and gory 70's throwback STORM WARNING and the CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST homage WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, but INSIDE is truly deserving of this sub labels moniker. DEFINITELY and WHOLE HEARTEDLY not recommended to anyone who is pregnant or cannot take witness extreme violence towards children, or unborn babies in this case. An intense and supremely nasty experience.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow I gotta see this, looks like a real chiller.:eek:

It is. I bought it the day it came out but only just watched it last night. It blows away everything in horror of recent memory. I had read a little bit about it but even then that does not prepare you for this horrific little film. France is seemingly the new spotlight for horror films these days what with HIGH TENSION, CALVAIRE (Belgium?), SHEITAN, FRONTIER(S), ILS (THEM; which seems to have been remade already as THE STRANGERS) and now INSIDE showcasing that at least in cinema, the French don't mess around.

It should be noted that Blockbuster has refused to carry the unrated version of this movie and I've read that some Wal Marts don't carry it either. If the box doesn't specify unrated, than it's not. The unrated film runs 83 minutes. The R rated cut runs 75 minutes.

Chinatown Kid

Yeah I ordered the unrated version off of amazon earlier today, thanks for letting us know about this film venom.

No problem. I'm shocked the Wal Mart in my area (considering some don't carry it) carries this movie considering their policy on not carrying certain music albums. I haven't found bad notices for this yet after reading over a hundred comments regarding the film. Guess I'll check out the French TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE/WRONG TURN/Backwoods horror flick FRONTIERE(S) next.

Here's some screen caps from the movie...

****WARNING****SOME SHOTS CONTAIN VIOLENT SCENES NOT SUITABLE FOR WORK*****

The Woman stares into the window at her prey...

pdvd000su2.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

pdvd001mc3.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

Seeing Sarah call the police, The Woman nearly punches through the glass...

pdvd002ma2.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

The police search around the house and find nothing...

pdvd003ak2.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

Notice the left rear. As the camera slowly pans back, it is evident The Woman is in the house and seemingly glides into the background a la Michael Myers. She disappears almost ghost-like as Sarah awakens sometime during the night...

pdvd004qo7.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

pdvd005jb0.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

The gory, intense struggle begins at 32:15 seconds...

pdvd006ot9.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

Sarah manages to lock herself in the bathroom...temporarily safe...

pdvd010es7.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

pdvd013tw1.png

By venoms5 at 2008-05-19

*** POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Been waiting months for this one. Lived up to the hype. Great double feature with Haute Tension. Pretty sure Im done with American horror :D. The French obviously studied from the best[Halloween], and understand Carpenters work a lot better than some[Rob Z.]. Would like to discuss film , but dont want to spoil it. Should I start another thread for discussion or just post here. Gotta talk to somebody about when the lights come back on :eek:

I don't see a problem talking about it. Use a SPOILER if you don't want to give something away. I'll do the same. I already knew what was going to happen in the film (save for the end) but even that didn't prepare me for the shock of it all. Best horror movie in a long, long time. Went to buy FRONTIER(S) at Wal Mart the other night and it was sold out at two stores near me. It just came out a few days prior.

Chinatown Kid

From the look of those pics this looks like one cringe worthy movie, I hope it doesn't give me nightmares!:eek:

From the look of those pics this looks like one cringe worthy movie, I hope it doesn't give me nightmares!:eek:

Lock your doors! Don't turn off the lights! Don't watch it alone!:P

********SPOILER ALERT**************

First off , Great movie. Id like to know your theory on the zombie cop. Was this guy dead and then came back to life thru a power surge or was he just wounded or whut? One of the Best scenes EVER!!!!! Im a slasher movie fanatic[much like kung fu] and i have to say the French know how to do it right[if Halloween didnt exist neither would this or Haute Tension-this also borrowed from Friday the 13th].These directors have obviously studied the classics. Just as i was going hoarse from screaming at all the stupid stuff that happened, which i realize was the directors purpose to make it interactive[nothing like screaming at the screen-proves emotional involvement], the mother-to-be FINALLY decides shes going to protect her unborn child and send this crazy B to hell[ when she made that spear i went nuts- I started to feel like this was going to turn into FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE or DEATH PROOF],but all of the sudden the lights come on, and well , you know what happens next.From then on it was HARD to watch. Ive seen it all, and i will tell you the last few minutes of this movie is BRUTAL, just like the 40 or so minutes before it. 5 out of 5!

The cop wasn't dead. He was barely alive and incoherent. There's been numerous cases of people being shot in the head and surviving. Jeffrey Dahmer in fact created living "zombies" with some of his victims by drilling holes in their heads with a drill and pouring Muriatric Acid down the hole to put them into a trance-like state in the hopes of making them sex slaves. None of them survived but for a short period of time save for one victim who lasted a number of days.

True, there have been many cases of surviving gun wounds to the head, but for me ,I think it had something to do with the circuit breaker. Why place the cop there? Plus he just re-animated when the power comes on? If he wasnt dead i still think he was hit with a bolt of electricity to get him going. Ill watch it again tonight and maybe see something different.

True, there have been many cases of surviving gun wounds to the head, but for me ,I think it had something to do with the circuit breaker. Why place the cop there? Plus he just re-animated when the power comes on? If he wasnt dead i still think he was hit with a bolt of electricity to get him going. Ill watch it again tonight and maybe see something different.

He wasn't dead...almost dead but not quite. He just got back up and went back to doing what he was doing (remember, he was trying to turn the lights back on) before the Woman showed back up again.

After second viewing , I see you were correct. Still a great scene. looking forward to Them and Frontiers next.

Chinatown Kid

Finally watched this last night and you were absolutely right venom, this is one of the bloodiest and most intense flicks I've ever seen. I did guess beforehand why the crazy woman was after the pregnent lady's baby and found out I was right in the finale. Never have seen a pair of scissors used so viciously, the only thing I didn't like was the ending as I was hoping it would have turned out different.

I never guessed it myself.:D At first I thought the crazy lady was that oddball nurse in the hospital. I actually thought the ending was great. But like you,

after all that hell that poor woman was put through for a minute I was hoping she would kill that psycho. Apparently, the last shot furthers the downbeat nature of the film. I haven't looked again, but supposedly, a great pool of blood forms around The Woman as she cradles the baby.

Morgoth Bauglir

I haven't watched this in about 5 years but I'm letting a friend borrow it so I decided to revisited it. It's a great movie and one of the few horror movies that actually scared me.

I think this is the goriest movie ever. Does anyone know of a movie gorier than this? One without any comedy.

I think this is the goriest movie ever. Does anyone know of a movie gorier than this? One without any comedy.

I feel like I've seen gorier. It is gory, but the ultra-violence is broken up in the film. I'd say a movie like "Cannibal Ferox" is gorier as a whole.

Archived