The Chaser (2008)

Mark Pollard

I'd be disappointed if they did. The US audience doesn't need a cliched, super-happy-shiny ending to enjoy a movie. "The Departed" didn't stray too much from the source material, and it still enjoyed critical and commercial success. "Se7en" holds a place in many people's "all-time" list, and things didn't turn out so well for Brad and Gwenyth there either.

The main cast consisting of a pimp, his ho, and a homicidal maniac automatically makes for mature viewing anyway. I'm pretty sure that'll keep them from taking too many liberties with the downbeat parts.

True, but The Departed did have Damon's character getting his just due while Infernal Affairs had Lau getting away scott-free.

**SPOILER** I think the fact that a character in The Chase that you're really hoping survives gets brutally murdered might be a plot point that angers a lot of people . Maybe I'm underestimating US audiences, but for the most part we get the happy ending. Se7en is about the only popular film that pops into my head that went the other direction.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, you're right in saying that US audiences often get spoon-fed some a lot of "safe" devices in cinema. However, I just think that it will be unlikely in this remake because a large part of the content is already made for adult viewing. Then again, they could just as easily turn the main character into a cop and his main ho into his girlfriend. In that case, they shouldn't even bother calling it a remake. We'll see I guess.

I don't remember this thread but I'm going to ask how many Guys here seen it, and what did you think?

516ST3iZUxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I thought this was a good reivew so I'm going to post it:

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp--A Fascinating, Disturbing, And Near Perfect Crime Drama, October 3, 2010

By K. Harris "Film aficionado" (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews

(TOP 100 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME) This review is from: Chaser (DVD)

Both a Korean box office sensation and an international award winner (including the Korean equivalent of a Best Picture Oscar), "The Chaser" is one of those unexpected films that really gets under your skin. A gritty crime drama, "The Chaser" is known for many things including its unlikely protagonist, its condemnation of the Korean judicial and law enforcement systems, and its vivid brutality. Exciting and uncompromising--the film leaps into action from the first frame and provides a bleak and brutal entertainment that reaches, both viscerally and emotionally, beyond the typical genre trappings. A Hollywood remake is potentially in the offing as the project is currently being developed, but I'd definitely recommend checking out writer/director Hong-jin Na's original vision first!

Ex-detective turned pimp Jung-ho (a terrific Yun-seok Kim) has got a problem. When one of his girls goes missing, he assumes she has been taken and sold by a rival. Uncovering the possible culprit, he realizes that he's just arranged another date with the same client. He asks the girl who is now with the assailant to text him her location, but loses contact. Knowing the general vicinity where the first girl went missing, Jung-ho hits the streets. As the movie progresses into a frantic search through the underworld of Seoul, a more disturbing reality presents itself--he's actually dealing with a serial killer. "The Chaser" begins so strong, so unsettling, and so surprising. One of the film's greatest assets is Yun-seok Kim--an completely original antihero. You've got to root for this pimp to do what the cops seem unable to accomplish!

The first third of the film plays out as a tense game of cat and mouse, the middle section as an examination of frustrating judicial incompetence, and the end sequence is a riveting and no-holds-barred revenge fantasy. Ultimately, if I have one criticism to level at "The Chaser" it's that it seems to present an especially empty headed presentation of law enforcement. Concerned with politics and appearances, no one cares that the girl might still be in danger even as they have the guilty party in custody for some of the film. The priority of everyone in an official capacity is skewed beyond belief. That the rogue pimp has to make up for the deficiencies of an entire platoon of officers can seem a bit heavy handed. This, to me, provided a small lull in the middle of an otherwise perfect picture.

A 4 1/2 star picture, "The Chaser" succeeds on many levels. In addition to the pulse pounding intro and the uncompromising finale, the emotional journey of Jung-ho will resonate beyond the final frame. From cop to pimp to potential savior, his path to redemption is filled with conflict, violence and moral ambiguity. In a stunning psychological depiction, we see a deeply flawed man trying to regain his humanity in the most unexpected of circumstances. Riveting stuff. KGHarris, 10/10.

I got to watch this movie last night and I think it was a very good. It was a very solid movie, with excellent performances from the starring cast especially Yin-seek Kim, who has to find redemption in his self for what has happened to his girls more so the last one who has a little Daughter. I do have to say that the Police looked like a bunch of complete Morons throughout the entire film!

Saw this a few years ago. Quite good aside some incredible dumbness towards the end (The shop scene. Hate it when they go lazy scripting and decide a major event should happen by chance and against all odds. Works is an ironic context, but not in a serious minded film).

I was pissed about that end scene also! Poor Girl, I was yelling at the TV!

Yeah, as awful as that scene is, it's one of the essential elements which makes that movie so memorable. =D

Reminded of this after seeing the remake thread in World Cinema. Any word on the Chaser remake? Originally touted as a Scorcese/DiCaprio colab, right? Wonder if it got cancelled.

Archived