The Chaser (2008)

Mark Pollard

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, this is the one I'm waiting for. I haven't been impressed by any Korean films lately and this one looks really promising.

This film looks excellent! But the only (legit) version available is the Korean special edition, which only runs @ $40! Hopfully the HK release will come soon.

I wathced this one last nite, and it lived up to all the hype. Great film on all fronts. I agree with the comparisons to Public Enemy, except The Chaser is much darker.

Got done watching it a bit earlier. This one was very intense, horrific and emotional, perhaps one of few movies of this type that has reached me this deep. Very well done crime thriller!

Fantastic movie - although i'm a bit annoyed about a remake being announced soo soon though

The best korean film of last year.

I have to agree with everyone, this film was absorbing from start to finish. Excellent film with some standout scenes.

ToothbrushFu

I was a bit wary about watching this because everyone was giving it such great reviews when it came out, but I have to admit it was very good. Its not Memories of Murder good, but the way its filmed and how the story is structured makes it a lot more interesting than many more conventional modern thrillers.

I was a bit wary about watching this because everyone was giving it such great reviews when it came out, but I have to admit it was very good. Its not Memories of Murder good, but the way its filmed and how the story is structured makes it a lot more interesting than many more conventional modern thrillers.

I pretty much agree. it wasn't memories of murder that's for sure but it was pretty good. not as good as many are making it to be unless they don't watch a lot of movies but it was still decent enough.

Yeah, not as good as Memories of Murder but definitely good. I'm glad to have it in my collection and the friends I've shown it too have all liked it very much.

• Administrator
Yeah, not as good as Memories of Murder but definitely good. I'm glad to have it in my collection and the friends I've shown it too have all liked it very much.

You guys are funny. Not much is "as good as Memories of Murder " now is it? That film is just fantastic! But I thought THE CHASER was very good, and I would certainly recommend it to everybody.

My friend was a little disappointed that it wasn't more of a "chase film", having taken the title quite literally. He sort of thought it was going to be one big, wall-to-wall action chase. So just to set the record straight- it's a dramatic thriller with some black comedy and a bit of action. But it IS NOT CITY OF VIOLENCE by any means. :wink:

Finally I got the movie. Is really super. Really is a fantastic story and the storyline very impressive.

Alexandra

I've started going through my Korean movie queue this week. So far I've watched "A Dirty Carnival" and "The Chaser". This was just a nice, solid flick throughout. There were some storyline bits (1 in particular) that you seldom see in American movies. It may or may not have made it more realistic, but it was definitely bolder than your standard fare.

I finally saw this last weekend as well - gotta love the Netflix Instant Watch. I was pretty much blown away by how good it was and how it didn't follow any of the expected routes. That being said, do you think the US version will dramatically change the ending and go with the cliche? It's a damn disturbing twist.

I'd be disappointed if they did. The US audience doesn't need a cliched, super-happy-shiny ending to enjoy a movie. "The Departed" didn't stray too much from the source material, and it still enjoyed critical and commercial success. "Se7en" holds a place in many people's "all-time" list, and things didn't turn out so well for Brad and Gwenyth there either.

The main cast consisting of a pimp, his ho, and a homicidal maniac automatically makes for mature viewing anyway. I'm pretty sure that'll keep them from taking too many liberties with the downbeat parts.

Archived