Heroes of the East (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

oldeschool17

mistertpitydafoo

Edited: Spammers message was removed so no need for my reply to clutter the message board.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 Element Boxer

The special on Lau Kar Leung was pretty dissapointing. Don't get me wrong. It's always awesome seeing someone giving recognition to Lau Sifu. But for this release, I was expecting an interview with the man, or at least a demonstration or something. But no. We got nothing. I guess Dragon Dynasty, or whoever put that "special" together, couldn't manage that. Most of what Bey Logan said, I (and I'm sure most of you) pretty much knew already. I know he is a practitioner of the Hung Fist himself, which is cool and all. But I think it could've been alot better. The Gordon Liu interview made up for it, though.

5 Element Boxer

So are you saying DD actually tried to get an interview and was turned down by LKL?

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yes, Bey wanted to interview him, but he just doesn't wanna do it! I think that was back when they released 36 chambers and young auntie!

Guest Markgway

I don't understand why he doesn't want to be interviewed?

You'd think he'd be flattered by the attention.

Or would he rather take his stories and experience to the grave?

TibetanWhiteCrane

A lot of the old dudes, doesn't wanna do interviews! I remember Bey saying he tried to get interviews with Shieh Ken and Kwan Tak Hing and some others, and while they wouldn't mind talking to him and answering questions, they didn't wanna do it on camera or tape... weird!

I guess they are just over it! Don't think it's an ego/arrogance thing!

5 Element Boxer

Well that just sucks for us fans. Maybe we can get FrankyLau to ask Lau Sifu to do an interview. lol (seriously, though).

Didnt Franky Lau already say that LKL asks for a lot of scrilla to do an interview? It was probably down to money that DD didnt get an interview.

yeah I said that but we talk about an allday interview at different locations and after that the one who did the interview can do with it what he wants...

Do you think Lau Kar Leung earns anything from the sales of DD or celsestial or any of the indie releases of his films ?

He has no rights on his films,he just recieved a monthly wage at shaw brothers...

do u know how siu hou lives for example ?

u know how poor Wong Yue was before he died ?

there are many examples of actors and directors from the 70 and early 80s...the consumer doesnt care he just wants his movies,polished, with many extras etc.

I wasnt criticising Lau, I was just saying that finance would probably be the reason DD havent got an interview yet.

TibetanWhiteCrane

FROM BEY'S BLOG:

My respect for Lau Sifu and his work knows no bounds. I would love for him to be more involved with our Dragon Dynasty re-releases of his films, but, for a variety of reasons, we may have to content ourselves just with his moral support. He already gave us the finest films the genre is capable of, and perhaps that’s enough.

5 Element Boxer

We rarely get to hear/see LKL talk about the movies he made for us. I would like nothng more than to hear Pops share with us some of stories or thoughts he has about our favorite classics.

Average dvd release for a really outstanding kungfu movie.

The Gordon Lau interview was very interesting. Bey's audio commentary was informative and the weapons feature was ok.

Just a note to any fellow Australians out there, our release has Mandarin 2.0 audio ONLY, NO Cantonese & NO English dub

this is ridiculous, why would this happen? I bought it on the premise that the cover was just wrong (as many are here in Australia) but no, it was right, and I was disappointed

its bad enough they take so long to get a release over here, then they bend us over and royally screw us like this

guess I'll just make my own dvd with the DD video and the dub from my old bootleg

Killer Meteor

Although the English dub on this release is mostly original mono, there are moments where Celestial stuck on new foley. Dunno why they do this, its the same on the US discs for One-Armed Swordsman, The Duel and Life Gamble.

Also, Bey Logan's commentary has some whopping goofs, where he says the film is set in the Republic period following the collapse of the Ming Dynasty, and when he says Yuen Siu Tien was in Lau Kar Leung's Martial Arts Of Shaolin, which would be impressive given that film was made seven years after Yuen died! What Bey is thinking of is Chang Cheh's Shaolin Martial Arts, which Lau choreographed.

The picture quality is superb, one of the best Celestials - they seemed to skimp towards the end.

and when he says Yuen Siu Tien was in Lau Kar Leung's Martial Arts Of Shaolin, which would be impressive given that film was made seven years after Yuen died! What Bey is thinking of is Chang Cheh's Shaolin Martial Arts, which Lau choreographed.

Mixing these two up must be a pretty common mistake, I tied to trade for Shaolin Martial Arts and wound up with 5 copies of Martial Arts of Shaolin:xd: I think we can let him slide on that one.

Didnt Franky Lau already say that LKL asks for a lot of scrilla to do an interview? It was probably down to money that DD didnt get an interview.

Since I work in the entertainment industry I can chime in here. This can often be the case. You'd be amazed at where the tiny niche audiences are denied the viewing of a great interview or special feature because they don't get "compensated" enough.

Remember, just because we think they're famous doesn't mean they're swimming in cash in the real world. They could have their own financial problems or just be plain greedy. There are many kinds of personalities in the world. The movie industry spans them all regardless of which country your making them in.

TibetanWhiteCrane
Although the English dub on this release is mostly original mono, there are moments where Celestial stuck on new foley. Dunno why they do this, its the same on the US discs for One-Armed Swordsman, The Duel and Life Gamble.

Also, Bey Logan's commentary has some whopping goofs, where he says the film is set in the Republic period following the collapse of the Ming Dynasty, and when he says Yuen Siu Tien was in Lau Kar Leung's Martial Arts Of Shaolin, which would be impressive given that film was made seven years after Yuen died! What Bey is thinking of is Chang Cheh's Shaolin Martial Arts, which Lau choreographed.

The picture quality is superb, one of the best Celestials - they seemed to skimp towards the end.

Two slips of the tongue.... WHOPPING GOOFS.... wow, not a lot of room for error in your universe.

Reel Power Stunts
Two slips of the tongue.... WHOPPING GOOFS.... wow, not a lot of room for error in your universe.

Exactly. Those are slips of the tongue - easy to make when you are flying solo in a recording studio, talking for 90+ minutes sharing fact after fact. Logan knows his Ming from Ching, and that "Martial Arts of Shaolin" came after "Magnificent Butcher", and a WHOLE lot more.

Killer Meteor

Oh heavens no - just things an editor should have picked up on and re-recorded.

I'm not Running Man, who hated ANYTHING Logan did.

TibetanWhiteCrane

An editor who no doubt has way less knowledge about the subject than Bey, so I don't think that would happen.

If editors for audio commentaries were that attentive, how do you explain every Ric Meyers commentary ever made?

Killer Meteor
An editor who no doubt has way less knowledge about the subject than Bey, so I don't think that would happen.

If editors for audio commentaries were that attentive, how do you explain every Ric Meyers commentary ever made?

Simple...they assume he knows ANYthing!

Archived