Heroes of the East (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

oldeschool17

Chinatown Kid

I really liked Bey Logan's info on Lau Kar Leung and his take on Heroes of the East. He talks about the different fights in the movie and about how the Chinese vs Japanese styles are portrayed and how the Japanese styles are linear(straight line) while the Chinese styles tend to be circular. I found it interesting when he said that the Japanese fighter with the Nunchuka and Tonfa was Lau's reference to Bruce Lee in the film and how Lau's Drunken Begger in the film was an ode to Simon Yuen who also is in the movie in a non-fighting role as a Kung Fu Master.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oldeschool17

well if somebody could help out on the screencap comparison, that would be great but nobody seems to want to do it. I'll be more than happy to redo my caps to accommodate them. Im assuming the print is progressive but im the wrong person to speak on that. It doesnt appear to have the patented interlacing that IVL has. All audio options are mono.

The Running Man

The subs are identical to the IVL disc. Like always, it's just minor corrections in terms of grammar and spelling made. Anyone sending emails to them about this should really stop pushing the issue.

That's what Media Blasters' releases are for as they got more right with their first SB release than Dragon Dynasty did with the first 4. And yeah, we have Lynn to thank for that.

Im assuming the print is progressive but im the wrong person to speak on that. It doesnt appear to have the patented interlacing that IVL has.

That's the one thing DD/HKL are always good at on their main feature (not so much on extras): getting their flagging right.

To check for lines:

Intervideo WinDVD, turn the de-interlacer to 'weave'.

Macbook DVD Player, turn the de-interlacer off.

Media Blasters do retranslations (no-one else in the world doing Shaws have), but they don't clean up anything else on the timeline when it comes to grammar, sentencing and punctuation. From what some have seen here, DD have probably cleaned it up to make it flow a bit better, but it's still not great. I was disappointed on 'King Boxer' when it was practically the same.

If budgets and time are issues, I reckon they could have someone with some experience in subtitling and good English to clean up existing subtitles, have a translator run over them and then check them again for errors (spelling, positioning, sentencing, grammar, etc). I use this method.

All audio options are mono.

I don't think they'll get hit with false mono, but of course - be on the look-out all the same. With exception to new dubs where it'll inevitably be 5.1...

oldeschool17

Glad you posted instructions for intervideo windvd cause thats what i use. Had too many probs with powerdvd. I'll check it out later tonite and let ya know

That's the one thing DD/HKL are always good at on their main feature (not so much on extras): getting their flagging right.

To check for lines:

Intervideo WinDVD, turn the de-interlacer to 'weave'.

Macbook DVD Player, turn the de-interlacer off.

Media Blasters do retranslations (no-one else in the world doing Shaws have), but they don't clean up anything else on the timeline when it comes to grammar, sentencing and punctuation. From what some have seen here, DD have probably cleaned it up to make it flow a bit better, but it's still not great. I was disappointed on 'King Boxer' when it was practically the same.

If budgets and time are issues, I reckon they could have someone with some experience in subtitling and good English to clean up existing subtitles, have a translator run over them and then check them again for errors (spelling, positioning, sentencing, grammar, etc). I use this method.

I don't think they'll get hit with false mono, but of course - be on the look-out all the same. With exception to new dubs where it'll inevitably be 5.1...

Had too many probs with powerdvd.

I hated it too when I had it :).

'WinDVD' has some stuff I can't work out when it comes to grabbing shots, but it's still very good IMO.

oldeschool17

What kinda stuff can you not work out with the screenshots?

ok, the following are 2 action shots and one "stationary" shot using Force Weave under the Deinterlacing option. Same as before, click on individual thumbs for bigger images.

th_55358_HEROES_OF_THE_EAST-5_122_440lo.jpgth_55369_HEROES_OF_THE_EAST-11_122_665lo.jpgth_55374_HEROES_OF_THE_EAST-13_122_849lo.jpg

Hmm, subs repositioned too :). I'm a bit more curious to see how better positioned they are, etc (even if it is the same Celestial translation).

I suspect there's a bit more than "Sai Expert" to the subs...

Thanks for the pics mate! There's no doubt really that it's progressive :).

Hmm, subs repositioned too :). I'm a bit more curious to see how better positioned they are, etc (even if it is the same Celestial translation).

The rest of the Sai Expert's on screen text is the actor's name, I think. The timing on that one looks better than the IVL.

oldeschool17

No prob

The Running Man
Media Blasters do retranslations (no-one else in the world doing Shaws have), but they don't clean up anything else on the timeline when it comes to grammar, sentencing and punctuation. From what some have seen here, DD have probably cleaned it up to make it flow a bit better, but it's still not great.

Read chen: "matter of preference". :)

How subs are laid out is just a matter of preference. It isn't a "clean up" unless the subs were timed too fast or out of sync.

Read chen: "matter of preference". :)

Read: at ADG :).

How subs are laid out is just a matter of preference.

What MB did just happened to be what it was (this "preference") because the translator seemingly jumped from one subtitle to another ignoring grammar mistakes and saw something (in the one subtitle pop-up only?) that was obviously incorrect - they corrected that (they weren't very good at incorporating other stuff in it either like indeed grammar or punctuation). Nothing else was seemingly a priority, so I don't think MB specifically designed the subtitles to be in a particular display, just a retranslation that fitted the window and left all the rest.

It isn't a "clean up" unless the subs were timed too fast or out of sync.

A clean-up consists of anything from punctuation, grammar, spelling and syncing, etc.

The Running Man
Read: at ADG . :)

No, you. :) I'm repeating myself here.

What MB did just happened to be what it was (this "preference") because the translator seemingly jumped from one subtitle to another ignoring grammar mistakes and saw something (in the one subtitle pop-up only?) that was obviously incorrect

You're losing me here. "One subtitle pop-up" only?

Nothing else was seemingly a priority, so I don't think MB specifically designed the subtitles to be in a particular display, just a retranslation that fitted the window and left all the rest.

I'm only talking about the latter (which is how they were laid out). :) It's not really a mistake to have sentences being broken up and appear as the person is talking rather than more on the screen at one time.

So yeah, they most likely did just take the existing script and just modified them to the new speed and from there, do the retranslations. But I don't see why that's bad unless the original subs were timed badly (off sync, too fast, etc...)

A clean-up consists of anything from punctuation, grammar, spelling and syncing, etc.

I put "clean up" in quotations because I was referring to what you were talking about in the quote I put up. :)

oldeschool17

LKL wanted a massive amount for interview - his health might not be upto doing one either.

That's a bit disappointing if its true(wanting a lot of money to do the interview). If I were a director and somebody wanted me to do an interview on my movie, I would be down with little hesitation.

Killer Meteor

Well, there is a good interview with Lau on the documentary Cinema of Vengeance

I'm repeating myself here.

Coincidentally, me too:D!

You're losing me here. "One subtitle pop-up" only?

Yeah, I was referring to the fact that the translator did sentences carried out fully in the one subtitle (not dragged out).

I'm only talking about the latter (which is how they were laid out). :) It's not really a mistake to have sentences being broken up and appear as the person is talking rather than more on the screen at one time.

Suppose it isn't.

So yeah, they most likely did just take the existing script and just modified them to the new speed and from there, do the retranslations. But I don't see why that's bad unless the original subs were timed badly (off sync, too fast, etc...)

For some part, I can understand what you're saying about the dragged out thing. However, I don't like that practise as it's rather evident MB were lazy by not fixing other things. I don't think a mainstream subtitle house would do it like that (I'm getting the impression that only a Chinese subtitle house do that, and then a US company port it over). The person (judging by the credits) they have may have been Chinese with a not-so good grasp of English.

I put "clean up" in quotations because I was referring to what you were talking about in the quote I put up. :)

I thought you meant that a clean-up only consisted of re-synching which is why I added the other things.

Well, there is a good interview with Lau on the documentary Cinema of Vengeance

Yeah, a number of participants that don't seemingly want to be interviewed now are on there.

I love that documentary :).

TibetanWhiteCrane

Thanks... that's all I needed to know! I'll double dip for sure... well, would have anyway for the Bey Logan AC...:) but the old skool dub sealed it!

FrankBolte

Red trousers and Cinema Of Vengeance has LKL but I wouldnt call this a proper interview...

Its true that LKL asks for a high price for an interview but we dont talk about a 5 minutes interview..it was more like an all day interview with different locations..

And hes well off not sick or anything..

I can't wait for Heroe of the East...would be have been awesome with LKL interview but still having one with Gordon Liu is just as good to me.

The other extra's sound good to me as well!!

Archived