Bad Azz plot point

Guest Iron Boat

Guest Iron Boat

Okay I know this isn't a Shaw brothers film but so what, I just got to give Chen Kuan Tai bad azz status for his character in Iron Monkey. To not only betray Shaolin by taking a job with the Manchus but to also hunt down and brutally kill patriots/loyalists just for revenge was bad azz. As far as "sinister plot points" are concerned, they dont make'em like that no more. If anyone else know's of a film that got a dark and evil twist like that please let me know.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest morgoth

I hated that part of the movie, but I guess that is why you liked it because maybe we were supposed to hate Kuan Tai for that. I thought he at least shoud have been punished at the end of the movie. It didn't work for me at all.

Brigadier Chow

Iron Boat, check out Invincible Terrorist with Carter Wong. It has these sinister plot twists (sometimes sick even), that I think you would like. Carter Wong opened a new door in this one IMO!

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Iron Monkey 77' is one of Chen Kuan Tai's greatest personal efforts. Awesome film. I cannot wait for this film to be released remastered. Hopefully soon.

Guest kungfusamurai

I can only think of Shaw films with anti-heroes, like Duel Of Fists/Iron Flag where the Rover character is a bad guy who turns over a new leaf; and Fu Sheng in Chinatown Kid, a thug gangster who has to be bad to climb the ladder, but then gets his come-uppance in the end. Same with Boxer From Shantung and all of the various imitations of that plot that came later.

I think its hard to come up with such plot lines for indie films because they're so generic and cliched and just move from one fight scene to another. You gotta look to the bigger budget flicks like the Shaw stuff to find the more character driven roles.

Iron Monkey is probably one of the few exceptions because it was Chen Kwan Tai making the film and he had a long history at Shaw, so he got to see the masters at work. I think he even used the Shaw Taiwan sets for this one.

KFS

Archived