Wong Yue

Kung-Fu Scholar

between PY and SS i prefer PY, although i dont consider this movie that good a choice to show the uninitiated, as its trying to cover as much content from its source, the jin yong novel 'the smiling, proud wanderer' as possible in only 90 mins & that may be a rather confusing experience for your friends, provided they re not really familiar with the genre.

first picks, imho, could either be "dirty ho" or "rendezvous with death".

"spiritual boxer" is definitely a true milestone in my book as well.

not quite the ace kf classic, but still a good quality wong yu vehicle is "kid with a tattoo".

wong yu, rest in peace

I only just found about this today whilst visiting the forum.

While he wasn't one of my favourite actors from Shaws he still put out some good quality performances during his time there.

Another sad loss from Shaw's golden era....:(

i just found out about this today, such a tragedy. First Linn, now Wong Yue too?!? we've lost some true legends this year. I didn't know that he was Ching Siu Tung's brother in law.

Some of my friends don't know him and I would like to recommend them his signature movie. What would you guys recommend if they only like to purchase one DVD?

If you ask me, my answer is THIRTEEN or the unreleased YOUNG PASSION with Jenny Hu. But I was thinking kungfu so I need recommendations.

Spiritual Boxer ot Dirty Ho. I think Spiritual Boxer is of limited interest to western viewers on account of alot of mythical references. It's not Citizen Kane, but its a entertaining movie with some funny & memorable scenes. Dirty Ho has more Kung Fu action.

Hi ironfistedmonk

All my friends say they prefer swordplay to kungfu. What do you think of Swift Sword as compared to Proud Youth? They want only 1 DVD.

Swift Sword is the film that Sword Stained with Royal Blood should have been. A very underrated film.

kungfusamurai

That's really too bad! I think I'm one of the few people who didn't find him annoying one bit. In fact, I thought this guy was really underrated. Sure he was always playing a bit of a rascal, but he really had a good physical presence for someone who didn't have a strong martial arts background (I think - I'll have to read the rest of the thread if it's mentioned).

Only 53.

RIP Spiritual Boxer Wong Yue.

Monk Sante

For those interested and have the 'Shaolin Temple' DVD from IVL, there's a 12 minute interview with Wong Yue. He talks about everything from his start to his Hung fist style he learned from Liu Chia Liang and so on. He looked quite strong in the interview, it's too bad he is no longer with us.

Check it out.

Reast in peace Wong. :o

The Dragon

I hate to hear news like this... I really appreciate Wong's contribution to the genre, as men like himself, Li Yin Min, Fu Sheng, and JC, all benefited from a similar style of performance. These actors were sometimes underappreciated, and still found a way to remain productive.

This has been a year of TOO much death for me people. I'm gonna take a time out.:(

R.I.P. Wong Yue, forever The Spiritual Boxer.

Loved his movies. One of the few Martial actors who IMO was as funny or maybe funnier than Jackie. RIP Wong Yue.

Liu Chia Liang

Its sad to see this happy guy i know and love from the movies end like this. Sometimes live just is not fair.

I took the time to make a small video tribute I hope you guys enjoy watching it as much as I did making it!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Great tribute. Thanks for taking the time to make that[reminded me i have to pick up remasterd versions of Kwantung Kid and Roar of the Lion-pray some company picks these up]. BTW what was the flick with him in sunglasses?

Skeleton Claw

Had to bump this.

Depending on what source you believe, Wong Yue either passed away 5 years ago today or 5 years ago on the 5th of this month. Either way it's been 5 years already.

Think I'm going to watch me some Dirty Ho tonight.

(take that how you want) :P

Better late than never....RIP! First I heard of it, I believe! Looking forward to the new 2k master for Dirty Ho coming from Arrow!

• Like 4

8DiagramAuntieFighter

Had no idea he passed until a bit back. Never assumed from looking at him in the movies that he would be in bad health let alone pass away. Dirty Ho & Executioners From Shaolin should be watched in his honor. RIP

• Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane
1 hour ago, 8DiagramAuntieFighter said:

Had no idea he passed until a bit back. Never assumed from looking at him in the movies that he would be in bad health let alone pass away. Dirty Ho & Executioners From Shaolin should be watched in his honor. RIP

We have a In Memoriam thread here, paying respect to the fallen warriors and extinguished stars, that anyone can contribute to.

• Like 4