Wong Yue

Kung-Fu Scholar

Kung-Fu Scholar

Just learned that Kung-fu cinema original comedic kung-fu kid Wong Yu passed away recently. It's his brother in law Ching Siu Tong that announced the news and fixed the funeral arragement. Reportedly he died from some sort of viral infection and was just 53 years old.

A graduate from Shaw Brother actor school, he started out around 72-73, in troubled puppy-eyed teager role (as in The TEAHOUSE) but he was really revealed as a kung-fu comedic leading man in Lau Kar Leung directorial debut SPIRITUAL BOXER. Although latter on called Shaw's Studio answer to Jackie Can he predated him by many years. Actually both a them took a bit after the original kung-fu kid Fu Sheng.

Besides KLau Kar Leung Wong Yu worked initially with such director Lau KAr Wing and Li Han Hsiang playing the comic foil to such actors as Gordon Lliu and Anthony Lau. After an initial string of kung-fu comedy he extended his range in wuxipian movies, gambling movie, period comedie etc. Besides the Lau Brothers he also became later on a regular for Wong Jing and Sung Chung movies.

Although of limited charisma and kung-fu skills, Wong Yu main assets were his comedic flair and his likeable underdogish trickster persona. One of his best role (if not the best outright) is as the titular lead rogue DIRTY HO by Lau Kar Leung.

Wong Yu career declined at the same time as Shaw Brothers studio fortunes were also webbing at the start of the eighties. He was reported to have some drug and alcool problems. He was also involved in the car crash that killed Fu Sheng. Following Shaw studio closure he could only find bit parts in movies. He was luckier on TV at least for a time where he work as a supporting actor for ATV station. Eventually he left the movies business altoghter, and found work instead in an assurence company, then became a vendor on H-K Temple street. In short he became a where are they now from star to has been casualty. He clean up his acted in later years and according to Ching Siu Tong, while he was'nt rich he wasn't completly destitude either.

I wrote a bio entry on him years ago on Brian Naas's Hong Kong View from the Brooklyn Bridge, while some areas of his carreer are overlook, it's still give a good overviews of it overall.

Kung-Fu Scholar

Even though the opinions of him are love/hate on this board, he was undeniably a part of many great martial arts films. RIP.

Oh geez, that's sad and shocking. I'm so sorry to hear that, I thought he was hilarious in alot of the shaw bros comedy from the 80s. Too sad for words, RIP.

Tragic news. His best films for me were his performances as the young, greenhorn assassin in FLYING GUILLOTINE, the sarcastic kung fu expert with the trick umbrella in RENDEZVOUS WITH DEATH, his turn as a young fighting punk in KID WITH A TATTOO, the arrogant con man in LION VS LION and his kung fu hero role battling it out with Hwang Jang Lee in KID FROM KWANG TUNG.

In 2006, he made a will before undergoing a brain operation. He said the reporters can open and publish it if he does not survive.

wongyue.jpg

Susan Shaw Yin Yin who saw him recently said he had lost a lot of weight.

wy.jpg

ironfistedmonk

Very sad news, I always liked the guy and he made some great movies. That second picture you put up looks more like Jimmy Wang Yu

thundered mantis

He was too young, only 53 :(

I preferred the other more kung fu savvy stars, but I have only recently discovered Kid from Kwantung and Young Avenger, and got new respect for Wong Yu´s kung. I reccomend those films to everyone. I´ll try to watch them along the weekend.

Monk Sante

Very sad news. Wong Yu also made a few independent films, The Young Avenger being one of them. My fav films with Wong:

Dirty Ho

Spiritual boxer

Kid from Kwungtung

KID with a Tattoo

Kung Fu Instructor

Executioners from shaolin

and many more................RIP. :(

His ashes will be flown to Canada.

In the Chinese papers, there are rumours of suicide although his family refused to answer the reporters' questions. Hospital staff are tightlipped too.

Wang Yue leaves behind a father, an ex-wife and a 13 year old daughter.

What is the proper spelling of his name?

Celestial Pictures spells it Wang Yu.

Mark Pollard

Sad news. It's reported that he died on May 5th. Thanks for posting Kung-Fu Scholar.

I use the spelling "Wang Yu" which is how it's listed at the HK Film Archive.

Anyone have some decent pics of Wang in his prime? I'm working on a profile and article about his death. I should be able to dig up a few pics but I haven't looked yet.

Mark, I googled some and found this picture which I think is very decent. I don't know, you might need permission to use it.

200761104237.1183376.jpg

Although I've never been a fan, it was sad to hear. It's too bad how most of the movie stars from the 60s, 70s and early 80s simply slip into obscurity until something like this happens. You don't usually hear about them until something bad happens, like this and the whole Lo Meng story. :(

Mark Pollard

The stuff I'm reading in Chinese media suggests the Wang was having a lot of personal issues. If true, I'm glad we haven't heard about him more. I'd rather celebrate the high points of actors' lives, even if they happened 25 years ago.

Endsang, your pic isn't loading for me. I may just use some screen caps.

Guest Markgway

RIP, mate.

Very sad news.

I won't lie and say I was his biggest fan, but he was a Shaw legend all the same.

His contribution to films like The Spiritual Boxer and Dirty Ho will be remembered.

You can see how ill he looks in those photos, especially the second one where he looks more like 83 than 53. Damn shame.

Wang Yu is his Mandarin name. Wong Yue his Cantonese name.

I use the latter for two reasons: 1. To avoid confusion with the other Wang Yu. 2. Most of his starring films were Cantonese.

Ugh - not the way I wanted to start the weekend.

As Markgway said, WY wasn't one of my personal faves but he certainly grew on me and I enjoyed several of his films.

I hate to see any of our Shaw family pass on.

Its a sad reminder that these individuals are not eternal and someday they too will fall.

However thanks to these films, they do in a way cheat death -- so long as we continue to watch and enjoy their films.

RIP Wong Yu. Thanks for the memories....

Couple scans I made from Southern Screen (July 1982) this morning to honor his memory.

Published around the time he was making "Lady Is the Boss."

wongyu1.jpg

wongyu2.jpg

wongyu3.jpg

Another scan from a different mag...

ladyboss.jpg

The stuff I'm reading in Chinese media suggests the Wang was having a lot of personal issues. If true, I'm glad we haven't heard about him more. I'd rather celebrate the high points of actors' lives, even if they happened 25 years ago.

Endsang, your pic isn't loading for me. I may just use some screen caps.

I agree. I know I prefer seeing them as the legends on screen rather than hearing about the ups and downs of their personal lives.

I found the picture here, by the way. Link should work. Also has a relatively new picture of him where he looks quite good and healthy.

http://www.mtime.com/person/1059050/

Edit: Teako, who's the guy with the orange pants on the last picture? Are the others Hsiao Ho, Lo Meng, Gordon Liu and Kara Hui? Looked like them.