Joy Sales - What Is The Quality?

Guest kungfusamurai

Guest kungfusamurai

I haven't really been buying kung fu movies from chinese websites for a while, so I'm out of the loop on the Joy Sales stuff. I tried doing a search by subject to see if there's anything threads dedicated to this question, but didn't come up with anything (I typed in 'joy sales' and removed case sensitive, searching for subject, then message body).

I understand that all the good stuff is on VCD only. Beyond that, what's the quality like? Are they widescreen or full screen prints? Is there a problem with heavy pixelation? There are some VCDs I've bought from other companies in the past that weren't too heavy in the pixelation department, while others were really bad whenever someone moved. I'm also curious if the rare indie stuff like Big Boss Of Shanghai which has been booted as full screen by companies like Video Asia are presented in nice widescreen.

KFS

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest monk sante

I just recieved "Broken Oath", the picture quality is very good and they did a good job with the subs as well. The packaging is good also worth the $10 IMO. I hope they release the kung fu titles on DVD soon, it would be nice. 8)

Guest Markgway

The prints are usually letterboxed, quality is quite poor though. I'd try to trade for them, or at least get them cheap. Most, but not all have burnt-in subs. If you check at DDD House they tell you which.

Brigadier Chow

The widescreen VCDs definitely beat full screen boots. Though on some of the titles the colors are a little washed out, we would probably never see these titles wide if not for Joysales.

Guest kungfusamurai

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys. I'm not so concerned about the quality of the Golden Harvest stuff because I figure at some point, those will get a good treatment (fingers crossed). I thought Fortune Star still had those? Or have they stopped releasing old GH movies?

My main interest are the indie lower budget films (i.e. non-Shaw, non-GH). That's why I've even bought those French DVD releases. Even though they're a little dark, and the audio is French, they're at least close to the original aspect ratio in all cases (I have yet to come across a full-screen DVD).

KFS

Guest kungfufreak

Many of this vcds are cut!!!!!

Kung FU Kid cut!!!Ocean Shore longer in Fighting Scenes on the End!!!Whiplash cut My bad fullscreencopie longer in Fighting Scenes on the End.

Her Vengeance On the Cover from the vcd is the III Rating are the vcd have the cut IIB Version and not this rare Cat III Version

Killers Nocturne cut

The only Goods is that we can seen many rare Films, whats before realeses only in Fullscreen the first Time in Wide.

I think on many of this vcds not the correkt Widescreenformat.

I hope they bringing this in Future on DVD.

Guest kungfusamurai

Oh yeah, I forgot it was Deltamac that was putting out those GH titles. I guess they lost the license, or did they fold?

Thanks for the heads-up on those titles that are cut. I might just check out the ones that I really want if they are widescreen per the DDDHouse descriptions.

KFS

Guest TheDrunkenRabbit

Some of the VCDs look better than the DVD scratched up full screen copies out there. It's nice to see the widescreen version and some of them have good clear subs, EX: When Taekwondo Strikes and some are almost unreadable EX: Stoner

Why the Angela Mao collection on VCD? beats the hell outa me.

They should at the least release the more famous ones on DVD.

wewhantdvds2.jpg

The gist I get is that Joy Sales' primary audience (not us) is primarily interested in:

comedies, romantic comedies, action, horror, and finally martial arts movies.

Hence, their unfortunate treatment (to us) of their martial arts titles.

Archived