Dragon Lord (1982)

thehangman

thehangman

Whats extra in the Fortune star version compared to the HKL one?

HKL 92 min

Fortune star 102 minutes

thx

Mark Pollard

No cuts were made by the BBFC and 92-93 minutes matches all previous versions. I don't have the Joy Sales version but I suspect that 102-minute length is a typo. Maybe someone who owns it could confirm.

thehangman

am sure someone on here must have this version,id like to know if it is longer or just a mistake on the box

Guest Markgway

Haven't seen it but I believe that the Fortune Star print uses a longer alternate edit of the film.

The HKL uses the original HK theatrical cut.

thundered mantis

I thought the difference was on the ending after the final battle? No action, just an extended gag over a cannon or so? I´m not sure but I think I read about it?

Plus take note of the PAL speedup

Guest Markgway

I think the OOP Universe disc was missing the cannon scene.

The HKL is the uncut theatrical version.

FS used an alternate with exclusive scenes (from the Taiwanese print perhaps?) Not sure, as I haven't seen it. But it's definately longer, even factoring in PAL speedup. Think the mono might be remixed also. I'd go with the HKL unless you're curious...

Guest Markgway

A little further investigation reveals that the main difference between the HKL and JS versions of DL is that the JS closes with the pyramid rugby match instead of opening. No canon scene, I don't think. Can't help anymore. You'll have to buy it! lol

I know this thread is ancient, but I have the FS DVD, if this is the version in question (the original link is dead)

DragonLordJSBig.jpg

It is 102 minutes and the cannon scene (if we're talking about the one when Jackie and Mars are messing around with that huge musket) is included. Not positive where the extra ~10 min comes from, but the hackysack game scene is nearly 15 min long, perhaps they added some parts there? And as mentioned before, the rugby game comes at the end of the film. The FS version opens with Jackie playing with his slingshot and then faux training while his dad is around.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I really don't understand why they can't just make 1 version to put out on home video??? Now I gotta go buy 3 different version of this film all over again, WTH!!!!

I really don't understand why they can't just make 1 version to put out on home video??? Now I gotta go buy 3 different version of this film all over again, WTH!!!!

I might be confusing things here, my apologies. The scene with the actual cannon is not included in this version as it ends with the rugby match. I'll try and do a more thorough comparison between the US Dimension, the Universe release and the FS one. I don't own the HKL version.

stuntpeople

I remember Michael Chan complaining about his fight being cut down in an interview. Any idea if there's a longer cut of that on the disc? Or is it the same as the theatrical?

gwailosforever

I own both the HKL DVD and Joy Sales release. I can confirm the Joy Sales version is the longer Taiwanese print. Several sequences are extended, like when Jackie is getting scolded by his father while reading from his shoe etc. Also as stated above the 'rugby match' ends the film. Prefer the HKL/regular cut, but this version is still a must see for any Chan fan

Tigerstyles

I'm guessing this was an unintentional error putting out this rare cut and glad I am. as fs never really seemed to give a fuck

I and most will always prefer the cut dub etc that they watched first time round.. But still a great different edit of dragon lord... Class's Jackie film

Son Of A Gun

There are all sorts of differences. I can't remember them all off the top of my head...but...

1)The rugby/golden egg match is longer.

2) Jackie, MArs and Tai Bo etc... sing that song just before...

3) A scene near the middle of the film where Jackie's father is meeting with the matchmaker woman to arrange a girlfriend for Jackie and he agrees to the one JAckie wanted or something...so Jackie leaps onto his father and hangs on.

These are the ones off the top of my head......

would be very easy to add Cantonese to the cut Export Version, as it's only a shortened Version of the HKL Edit. or: it would be very easy to cut the HKL Version down to fit with the Export English dub ;)

I own both versions, might take a look at it if I have the time :P

On top of my head, I have a slight sense that there were more romance scenes with Jackie and the girl in the fortune star release, but I might be mistaken.

Guest Markgway
would be very easy to add Cantonese to the cut Export Version, as it's only a shortened Version of the HKL Edit. or: it would be very easy to cut the HKL Version down to fit with the Export English dub ;)

It'll never happen though. If Media Asia or Fortune Star couldn't be bothered doing it for Winners & Sinners (the easiest of the lot) I don't see them doing it for Dragon Lord unless someone pays extra.

I think this type of work will only get done as a fan project. There's no money in kung fu DVDs anymore, so there's no incentive for companies to go to this amount trouble and expense.