I made out at the dollar store today...or did I?

deathdunt

Today while running errands, I stopped by my favorite dollar store and came across a bunch of kung fu flicks I had never seen. I've heard of a few, but I bought them all up...gimme some opinions:

Return Of The Deadly Blade(Hwang Jang Lee, Norman Chu)???

Golden Destroyers

8 Diagram Fighter(Bruce Leung)???

18 Bronze Girls

Mars Villa

Ninja Untouchables

A Gathering Of Heroes(Chen Sing, Yasuaki Kurata)???

Kung Fu Rebels(Chang Mei,Wang Chung)???

Duel Of The Tough( Wah Sang)????

The Bodyguard

Death Duel OF Kung Fu(John Liu, Wong Tao, Eagle Han)

Angry Dragon(Dragon Lee)

Anyone got any ratings/details? I've heard Death Duel and Mars Villa are great. How About the others?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that KUNG FU REBELS is the same, it's awful. All I remember is Wang Chung as a villain using a frog style to fight complete with frog sound effects.

RETURN OF THE DEADLY BLADE I didn't like but the new upcoming DVD looks like a vast improvement and may make the film more enjoyable.

MARS VILLA is really good and one of John Liu's best, IMO.

THE BODYGUARD Is this the Chiba movie? If so, I thought it was terrible. Aside from a guy having his arm ripped off, I don't recall much else happening in this one.

venom10463

Death Duel of Kung fu - If you liked Secret Rivals, then you will surely like this. Great old skool classic and one of my personal favorite.

Morgoth Bauglir

Like venom10463 said, Death Duel is awesome. Never heard of Gathering of Heroes. How is it?

ill let you guys know as soon as I watch a few of these...I should have some free time today, so I'll probably post some opinions this evening.

So far, I've been watching 8 diagram fighter with Leung Siu Lung and I tell ya, it's not bad quality wise or film wise...I've seen much worse.

I know what you mean deathdunt...I bought like 10 of those 2 movie/1 disk deals at a dollar store when I lived in PA.

Death Duel is awesome..John Liu, Wang Tao, and the late Eagle Han are totally phenomenal in it.

The one that says Angry Dragon does not have Dragon Lee in it. It is actually a 1973 film that stars Kwan Bo-Ling.

One I have is Duel of the Dragons. I come to learn it is actually Of Cooks and Kung Fu with Jacky Chen Shao-Lung and Yu Tai-Ping.

Sifu, you can tell the quality came straight out of the VHS on these disks but watchable.

Yeah, So far what I've seen has been completely watchable and discs seem to be authored decently..for a dollar for two flicks, I wasn't expecting widescreen remastered pristine masterpieces with special features or anything. But at least there ARE menus, and chapter stops. I've paid more for dvd's with alot less (ahem ahem Beverly Wilshire ahem ahem). VHS transfer, yes, but do I mind, nope, for a buck, im not very picky.

I just finished 8 Diagram Fighter aka 8 Diagram Cudgel. It was decent, with some moderate fights. It seems to be a low-budgeter from the early 90s though with a bunch of no-names supporting Bruce Leung in one of his last roles before his hiatus. Concidering it cost me 50 cents, I can't complain much, but man...Leung Siu Lung is a TERRIBLE actor here! As far as the plot goes, it's just your standard "avenge my family's death with some newly learned kungfu" but as I said there is some really good pole fighting here.

It's funny that I get 3 hours of movie watching for a third of a gallon of gas....in fact, my grand total was 8.83, picking up chips, soda and 12 movies in total...a couple nights of entertainment for the price of 2 and a half gallons of gas!

Sheesh!

ironfistedmonk

Return Of The Deadly Blade(Hwang Jang Lee, Norman Chu)- good film, can't wait for the Greenfan release as I'm stuck with the crappy Ground Zero release which this probably is

Golden Destroyers - couldn't sit through this one, probably watched about 5 minutes of it before realising it was gonna be ****e

8 Diagram Fighter(Bruce Leung)- as said aka 8 Diagram Cudgel Fighter, OK New Wave with a portly looking Bruce Liang still pulling off some nice moves

18 Bronze Girls - rubbish, no other way to describe it

Mars Villa - John Liu doesn't make many bad movies, this one is decent plus you get 2 shapes masters in Philip Ko and Tung Wai doing their stuff

Ninja Untouchables - don't know this one

A Gathering Of Heroes(Chen Sing, Yasuaki Kurata)- pre WW2 set basher, didn't like this one all that much compared to other Chen Sing/Kurata bashers, they have both done better IMO

Kung Fu Rebels(Chang Mei,Wang Chung) - This is the one with the dog and frog(?) styles, some very annoying comedy but nice to see Wang Chung in an indie movie

Duel Of The Tough( Wah Sang)- Korean KF effort, you can count the number of Korean Kung Fu films I like on one finger so I'm not a big fan of this, Mike Wong gets to play the lead hero for a change

The Bodyguard - is this the Jet Li film?

Death Duel OF Kung Fu(John Liu, Wong Tao, Eagle Han)- Good one this, Han Ying is one tough customer with his bad ass mantis stylings

Angry Dragon(Dragon Lee) - aka Dragon Lee vs 5 Brothers, pretty poor Korean KF film, only redeeming feature is Yuen Qiu in a decent sized role

Oh yeah...I decided to skip out for now on 18 Bronzegirls of Shaolin, the other flick on the disc with 8 Diagram Cudgel.

I'm going to check out A Gathering of Heroes and Kung FU Rebels next....So far....AGOH looks like a early 70s basher...and Kung FU Rebels looks like an unfortunate Kung Fu Comedy.

SamuraiDana
Today while running errands, I stopped by my favorite dollar store and came across a bunch of kung fu flicks I had never seen. I've heard of a few, but I bought them all up...gimme some opinions:

Return Of The Deadly Blade(Hwang Jang Lee, Norman Chu)???

Golden Destroyers

8 Diagram Fighter(Bruce Leung)???

18 Bronze Girls

Mars Villa

Ninja Untouchables

A Gathering Of Heroes(Chen Sing, Yasuaki Kurata)???

Kung Fu Rebels(Chang Mei,Wang Chung)???

Duel Of The Tough( Wah Sang)????

The Bodyguard

Death Duel OF Kung Fu(John Liu, Wong Tao, Eagle Han)

Angry Dragon(Dragon Lee)

Anyone got any ratings/details? I've heard Death Duel and Mars Villa are great. How About the others?

I've seen three of the above and can recommend both MARS VILLA and DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU as above-average kung fu films and both have come out in fairly decent editions in the past. Crash Cinema's MARS VILLA DVD had both the English dub and the subtitled Mandarin version. The latter was a better copy than the dub. And the DVD case didn't even tell us it had both.

So i just finished my second disk.

A Gathering of Heroes, legit put me to sleep.

Kung Fu Rebels was terrible kung fu comedy with really poor fights.

Both however were of very watchable quality.

I know this is random, but Daigoro, do you realize the girl in your sig picture has a faint MUSTACHE! :confused:

Do not sleep on the dollar stores. Some of them like mine buys the stock from going out of business stores/closeout stuff & resell them, when the Hollowood Video store in my area closed down - they even had some of their stuff. I have found alot of treasures in mine - I even found a sealed "The Chinese Connection" (the 20th Century Fox one) & a few Tai Seng titles at my store.

oldeschool17
I know this is random, but Daigoro, do you realize the girl in your sig picture has a faint MUSTACHE! :confused:

Yeah thats gross. Just to be on the safe side, tell her to go with 12 blades

razor.png

Legend of the 7 golden vampires, mr. shatter, exit the dragon, enter the tiger, bruce lee fights back from the grave and a few others I picked up at walmart on the dollar rack there. A dollar general 20 minutes away carries a few movies as well.

ironfistedmonk

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who spotted the tache! :D sometimes Michelle Lai looks like she is sporting a bit of 5 O'Clock shadow too, I find all of this quite disturbing and will take solace in the fact that some only have hairy pits. :eek:

while in my dollar store today - they were restocking on the double features: They were from EastWestDVD.

Although I have everything they had already - I was curios so I picked up the following

Revenge Of The Lady Warrior / Queen Boxer

Along Come The Tiger / Killer Elephants

Monkey Fist Floating Snake / Attack Of The Vwnoms

Surpisingly the quality are good - NOT DVD quality but watchable & were all english dub.

I forgot that they used the music from Shaft on the english dub version of Queen Boxer.

They also had the following:

Breakout From Opression / ?? forgot the other title

Ninja Heat / Fighting Mad

Rumble In Hong Kong / Face Behing The Mask

Eagle Fist (Eagle's Claw) / Eagle vs Silver Fox

Avenging Boxer / World Of Drunkem Master

Shaolin Posse / Shaolin Temple Strikes Back

Hero Of The Wild / Fist of Fear, Touch of Dath

There were putting out a few more but I didn't stay to see what they were.

Archived