Mismatched Couples (1985)

AlbertV

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that I can think of at the moment. I got the VCD of the film from when I lived in Chinatown and it is a Fortune Star release. Sadly, it is out of print now.

Glad to see it has been re-released...I got the Fortune Star/Deltamac VCD

I thought this was a really funny movie, and most will enjoy it if you don't take it too seriously. Donnie's goofiness in the opening cracked me up several times, and it's nice to see Yuen Woo Ping in front of the camera for a change.

My order from dddhouse arrived yesterday and it was a great fun.

The image is on par with Joy Sales other "legendary" releases. Grains are noticeable but i think it was the most definitive remaster, no altering whatsoever. Subtitle is sloppy still.

Fight choreography is not spectacular, mostly depends on Donnie's great physicality. This is a very fun Hong Kong movie of the 80's. I dont know if Donnie has his cosmetic surgery for the eyelids yet or not, but he looks a lot different to me.

This is a must see for any Donnie's fan while on Wo-ping's scale, this is a must have, one of Wo-ping rare onscreen performance, and he is funny.

loved everything single thing in the movie.

but I'm a bit disappointed with the overall presentation of the movie. the picture is alot darker than the vcd version and the featured trailer, is cropped from above, and subtitles are based on the Mandarin audio which makes you think whether it translates everything on the Canto audio and they also have crap grammar. still worth owning though.

• Administrator
This still appears to be a scene right before the scene at the pier with Yuen Woo Ping (his double) showing off his skills. Wonder what else was taken out in the theatrical version.

DiP, are you saying that Yuen Woo Ping is not performing his own action in the film?! :ooh: Did I understand you correctly? Please clarify.

Funny story: My son had never seen a Donnie Yen film before the New York Asian Film Festival this year, where he saw SPL (aka. KILLZONE), WU XIA (aka. DRAGON) and THE LOST BLADESMAN. He became a big fan of Donnie, and I bought him his own copies of FLASH POINT and SPL straight away. The other day I said "Take a look at this" and put on MISMATCHED COUPLES. He was laughing and shaking his head in disbelief at the outdated fashions, music, and dance moves. After a few minutes I said "You know who that guy is? That's Donnie Yen." I wish you guys could've seen the absolute shock on his face! :xd:

DiP, are you saying that Yuen Woo Ping is not performing his own action in the film?! :ooh: Did I understand you correctly? Please clarify.

Got info on that by Eric Jacobus when he made a review of the film at the old Stuntpeople forum (now non-existent).

Ok so ive been burning through old Hong Kong movies and out of desperation I thought I'd try out some of Donnie Yen's earliest films. I came across this one called Mismatched couples which also has Yuen Woo Ping in it. I have to say I really enjoyed it,The movie was nonstop comedy and all of the break dancing stuff was funny,not to mention how freaking young Donnie yen looked. Another thing I dug was the movie reminded me of typical 80's comedy but mixed with martial arts. Have any of you guys seen this movie?and what did you think? Here's a trailer I found of it on Youtube.

uG17yhl9Qc4

I watched it a few years ago and I remember that I also enjoyed the mix of martial arts, comedy and dances in this movie.

For being his second Hong Kong feature film, it marks several essential things in his entire career that shows how well adapt and multifaceted he is with his overall martial capabilities. B-boy techs, wushu maneuvers, HK style kickboxing, improvisational, nonsense physical gags etc all thrown in the mix. It makes the formulaic 80s Cinema City comedy/romance platform work out perfectly well and turning the plain material into an energetic frenzy. This was Yen showing off everything from his wushu training days and going off the charts with it to new heights. Sadly, it was his last film displaying this crazy amount of physical agility before moving on to the next phase of his career reintroducing and refining western martial techniques in contemporary films that made him a somebody, and that he reinvented later on in his career.

I really hope the film gets a remastered re-release in the near future because the Joy Sales DVD ain't perfect. Average picture quality and the English subtitles are based on the Mandarin dub.

Plus here's a little trivia for those who don't know: Yen's breakdance opponent, Kenny Perez, was one of the first Americans to be invited to train at the Beijing Sports Institute and is a master in kung fu and wushu.

I watched it a couple of months ago and did not expect much. Good movie, the combination of the 80s style and the comedy is hilarious.

However it is not really a Martial Arts movie in my opinion. There is some fighting at the end between Yen and Dick Wei but even here the comedy dominates.

But it does not really matter because the movie works well as a comedy.

drunkencrane44

Anybody here seen mismatched couples I’m lucky enough to own this classic on dvd it’s one of my favorites 

AAF43514-3A0F-4200-B488-CE85000FA77F.jpeg

Yes, I have it, but it's a long time since I watched it. 

I remember that I laughed a lot when I watched it, and maybe I should revisit it...

Now that Panorama and CN Entertainment are releasing more of Joy Sales' non-remastered DVD titles in HD, it's only a matter of time before we will eventually see a bluray of this one.

It's still a wonderful and charming gem from Yen. This may very well be his best comedic role ever.

Archived