Come Drink With Me (DVD - Dragon Dynasty)

bobo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chinatown Kid

Can't wait to see Cheng Pei Pei kicking ass while looking so cute in this, this is gonna look great remastered!:cool:

I think it may have been from 1967 where English dubbing started. Could I be wrong?

Curious about the subtitles on both titles. A few times, I've requested for them to be redone - the situation allegedly got a mention on one of the commentaries. At least all three languages are included on 'Heroes' (hopefully, the DVD defaults to the correct language of Mandarin and subtitles based on it), but it's all very weird indeed!

Got the IVL DVD and the 1989 UK Warner VHS :).

I've had a bunch of emails with Bey regarding subs. I think fans might be happier this time, but I can't promise anything. You never know with these companies. At the very least, signs & written text should be translated.

The Running Man

It is a newly recorded dub. It was obviously made because no one previously exists.

This is really a tease because it is the closest one will ever be to having Shaw Brother classics with respectable English dubbing than the garbage made at that entire period.

Killer Meteor

You ever know, it could be even more worse!

The earliest English dub for a HK film I've heard is for Trail of the Broken Blade. It's really good apart from the awful voice they gave to Jimmy Wang Yu, whose the lead. Typical!

The earliest English dub for a HK film I've heard is for Trail of the Broken Blade. It's really good apart from the awful voice they gave to Jimmy Wang Yu, whose the lead. Typical!

Curiously, what did he say to his beloved in it (as opposed to the subs);)?

Killer Meteor
Curiously, what did he say to his beloved in it (as opposed to the subs);)?

Well it wasn't dietry reccomendations!

It's the same with Fist of Fury, the first kung fu I saw. Everyone is dubbed with a tolerable if cartoony voice, aside from Bruce who sounds downright awful! Like some very bad Jimmy Cagney impersonation!

oldeschool17

i think new dubs sound horrid. Most of the time, they sound like high school kids.

i think new dubs sound horrid. Most of the time, they sound like high school kids.

Agreed, something poetic (or rather "seems right for the period" etc) about some of their voices. I don't think the counterpart Chinese dubs were probably better in their sense either as much of them were tongue-in-cheek. I don't find much wrong with them honestly.

Not only the 'High School Kids' factor, but they are poorly mixed with the voices sounding too fresh in comparison with the aged foley/music.

Agreed, some older voices can be atrocious, but no point in that debate as everyone's different.

Killer Meteor

I find enjoyable dubs aren't always the same as competant ones

For example, I prefer the daftness of the dub for Prodigal Son over the well made dub for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

In many cases, it's boils down to personal preference. I think some of the Shaw dubbers were fine. Such as the guy who voices Ti Lung in Magic Blade. He's got a fine voice. But then there's that "effeminate-old-man" who voices Chen Kuan Tai in Heroes Two. How that clown got anywhere near a microphone is beyond me.

Killer Meteor
Agreed, something poetic (or rather "seems right for the period" etc) about some of their voices. I don't think the counterpart Chinese dubs were probably better in their sense either as much of them were tongue-in-cheek. I don't find much wrong with them honestly.

I don't like a lot of the 70's Mandarin dubbing. Sounds very dull and often ill suited to the performers.

I'll always take subs for myself, but I'm happy when I have a dub. My stepfather & I watch films dubbed all the time. He's a senior & can't really follow the subs easily. Little kids like the dubs too.

I don't like a lot of the 70's Mandarin dubbing. Sounds very dull and often ill suited to the performers.

Yeah, very boring and whiney.

I'll always take subs for myself, but I'm happy when I have a dub.

Agreed. I must always have the original language there, but I always tend to revert to the dub. Strangely, I tend to put subtitles on with it too - I've become more accustomed to reading on the screen and less of listening to a foreign language!

oldeschool17

Not only the 'High School Kids' factor, but they are poorly mixed with the voices sounding too fresh in comparison with the aged foley/music.

Agreed, some older voices can be atrocious, but no point in that debate as everyone's different.

Indeed. Honestly, the old dubs really only hold a sentimental charm for me cause its definently not for accuracy in translation or appropriateness surrounding the tone of the movie.

Subtitles>New Dubs

The Running Man
Indeed. Honestly, the old dubs really only hold a sentimental charm for me cause its definently not for accuracy in translation or appropriateness surrounding the tone of the movie.

It's called "nostalgia". :) Not "good dubbing".

Morgoth Bauglir
It's called "nostalgia". :) Not "good dubbing".

I call it great dubbing. Young Master, Killer Constable, Last Hero in China, Ninja in the Dragon's Den, Shaolin vs Lama... All "great dubs".

The Running Man

I remember the last time trying to watch the original dub for Young Master had me and a couple of friends of mine in stitches. We couldn't get through with it it had us laughing our loud at the horribleness of it.

Ninja in the Dragon's Den was actually not bad. It's not a coincidence either because the people who made that one were completely different from the usual groups that were hired at the time.

Morgoth Bauglir

lol, if you don't like the dub for Young Master I can see how you don't like oldschool dubs. To me it's perfect, and it's the best dub I've ever heard.

Killer Meteor

See, I don't like the dubbers Golden Harvest used. Very whiny and irritating. Encounters of the Spooky Kind was great though!

Ninja In The Dragon's Den intrigues me. Not only is it a cracking dub - my fave for an old school film - but it sounds like it may have been dubbed in America. Certainly not by one of the various melting pot groups we hear in other HK movies. Most interesting...

Mind, the one thing worse than bad English dubbing is the scenes in various Chinese language versions where a Chinese dubber tries to imitate a Western voice! Check out the hideous clash of Mandarin accent and Jive talk in the Chinese version of New Game of Death

Archived