your definition of a cult film

Guest punkdrummer87

Guest punkdrummer87

Hey there, I'm new to to the forum and I'm carrying out some research to assist with my University degree.

There is alot of ideas floating around as to what a cult film actually is, and i was wondering if users of this forum could expand upon what they think makes a cult film.

Cheers guys :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cult film is generally a movie that comes out and disappears from theaters rather quickly whether it be a big studio or independent production. Years pass and the film picks up steam from word of mouth from the chosen few who caught said movie in the theater or those who spied the VHS box in the video store. The ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW is possibly the best and most successful example of a cult film. Some cult films have a smaller fan base than others and sometimes an entire GENRE can be classified as a cult such as the kung fu genre for example or any genre of the fantastic from Italy including their horror, western and crime films. I have seen publications that even go so far as to include the STAR WARS trilogy as cult films but I don't see how you can do that considering those films are household names even amongst those who have not seen them. Pretty much everybody knows what STAR WARS is.

You're on very slippery slope here, it's a very open term the ultimate meaning of which is with the film's viewer/fan. The term itself suggests a meaning based on a particular reaction that the film inspired. Cult is something that attracts a strong and devoted following, with overtones of something that's odd or outside of the norm. The definition of a cult film could be twisted to include almost anything.

For example, venom5 mentions above that Star Wars is too well known to be considered a cult film, and his point is valid. Consider this however: its obviously a household name but the rabid following it inspired is well outside the normal realms of fandom. People dress up as characters, wait for days and days on line for screenings, write fanfiction, elevate it to the status of a religion - that's a cult.

Similarly, Casablanca is one of the best reviewed and most loved movies of all time. However some people take it even further. There are clubs revolving around getting together to watch the movie while dressing up as the characters, quoting lines, throwing themed parties, exchanging obscure tidbits of information related to the production, etc. Their feelings for the film far outweigh the appreciation of a 'normal' fan, they elevate it to something greater. That's something that can also be considered a cult.

The definition as it is most commonly used amongst fans of obscure and under appreciated cinema implies being somehow 'in the know', in on something that the majority isn't. Something that perhaps wouldn't resonate with an average viewer. But don't the Star Wars devotees feel similarly about their subject of admiration, that they're able to appreciate it in a way most people can't?

Honestly, I would recommend either narrowing down the topic to something more specific, or picking another one. Trying to academically define something this ambiguous is an admirable aspiration, but ultimately may prove a thankless chore.

Yes, but those people that hold STAR WARS or STAR TREK in such high regard going so far as to dress up in the clothes and such has more to do with those individuals self esteem and social indifference. They see others that share a deep rooted passion for something (regardless of how strange it may be to other people) and congregate towards those with the same interests. Where before, there was no one for them to talk or share their love for said film(s), a "cult" is formed where those with similar likes can get together to share their thoughts; Sort of a cinematic "coming out of the closet" so to speak. I don't see that making a film a cult film. That's more of an exclusive fan convention for a single film or series of films. The only films I am aware of that people take things to that extreme are STAR TREK (possibly the most extreme), STAR WARS (a much lesser extent) and THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. The latter cult of which was born out of the gay movement. The film bombed miserably when first released then the homosexual community saw it and thought the movie spoke volumes to them and began dressing up as the characters. Soon, word of mouth got the film playing endless midnight showings for years and by this time straight people were doing the same. So not only did ROCKY HORROR speak to those who felt they lived on the fringes of society, but those who were up for something different discovered a fantastic sing-a-long party movie that lasted for decades. For me, that's a cult film; a movie or series that failed (often times critically) upon initial release (HIGHLANDER is another example) and was later discovered by a small band of fans that grew steadily over the years and sometimes outgrows its cult status becoming something of a mainstream product.

Here's a long piece on cult films from wikipedia that's spot on, IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

They see others that share a deep rooted passion for something (regardless of how strange it may be to other people) and congregate towards those with the same interests. Where before, there was no one for them to talk or share their love for said film(s), a "cult" is formed where those with similar likes can get together to share their thoughts;

Kind of like when fans of Kung Fu movies come to a forum dedicated to Kung Fu movies to discuss their appreiciation with other like-minded individuals....

Kind of like when fans of Kung Fu movies come to a forum dedicated to Kung Fu movies to discuss their appreiciation with other like-minded individuals....

Yeah, kung fu as cult was mentioned above.:)

lightning hopkins

You might take a look at the recently published "Cult Film Reader," a huge collection of essays from most of the major names in academic circles that provides a great overview on the history and historiography of cult cinema over the past several decades.

0335219233.jpeg

http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335219233.html

As you're probably well aware, academic interest in cult cinema has boomed in recent years, and the subject has finally earned some measure of begrudging legitimacy on university campuses -- indeed, one of the editors of the "Reader" is Xavier Mendik, who also currently serves as director of the Cult Film Archive at Brunel University in the UK.

Gotta love that cover too. Wowsers.

bamboo spear

If a film has large posters for sale at places that specialize in selling pipes, knives, crystals, incense and adult novelty gifts (think: Scarface, Taxi Driver, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Killing Zoe, etc), it's probably considered a cult film!

But then there's films that may have not been super-popular in their day, or you may not even remember them at the theater, but about 10 years later they become commonplace in everyone's DVD or old VHS collection. I think of films like The Princess Bride, The Neverending Story, The Crow, etc. For me, a great example is Bloodsport. I remember it being at theaters in San Antonio for like one week. All I remember was that it had that guy from No Retreat, No Surrender in it. By the time it hit video, we couldn't find one in stock for weeks and eventually borrowed one a friend had rented. Next thing I knew, we all had bootlegs of it, watched it all the time, and now we all have the DVD and it's a timeless classic. Cult film, all the way.

First of all "cult cinema" is a media created languange so there is no real definition.Its really a negaitive terminology- at least it was when it was coined.

Archived