Bronson Lee, Champion on netlix insta-watch

Guest morgoth

Guest morgoth

I was wondering what DVD version of Bronson Lee, Champion is on Netflix. I am watching it right now and the picture quality is amazing.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chinatown Kid

Never have seen this flick, any good? I've only seen Tadashi Yamashita in two films, The Octagon and Gymkata, and wasn't very impressed despite his great Kama sickle juggling skills. Maybe he looks better in the Bronson Lee film.

Guest morgoth

Here is a review I just wrote for it-

Bronson Lee stars as a Japanese who somehow grew up on a farm in the midwest. He enters a karate tournament because he wants to prove his skills. He beats all the fighters, but there is a guy called Black Tiger who he draws with. A twist happens towards the end which I won't give away, and Bronson fights Black Tiger for a second time.

I have only seen Bronson Lee in 2 movies prior to seeing this. He seems to imitate both Bruce Lee and Sonny Chiba. He doesn't come close to matching either in skill, but his screen fighting skills are still a bit above average. But those are screen fighting skills. In terms of real fighting skills he looks extremely lethal. My favorite scene of the movie is watching him train. This guy has some serious power in his kicks and punches. The fight scenes are nothing special, but not bad. The problem is that all the fights feel the same. None of the fight scenes stand out above the rest. They are all equal.

I wanted to see this movie because IMDB says Bolo Yeung is in the cast, but he isn't. I never look to IMDB for information on kung fu movies because half of the time they are wrong, but I couldn't find this movie on hkcinemagic. Probably because it isn't a Hong Kong movie. But with the karate style of fighting this movie uses, Bolo wouldn't have looked good anyway.

2.5/5

I saw this on netflix (the insta-watch thing), and the picture quality is amazing, especially for a movie from 1978.

Guest kungfusamurai

Is it in widescreen?

As for the quality, you'd be surprised at the quality of films from Japan well before '78. They were always of the highest quality. Or do you mean you thought the source material would have been degraded? Even then, the Japanese have taken good care of their movies negatives, sadly, unlike many HK companies.

KFS

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for the info morgoth, I definately want to see this film as I do enjoy watching Karate style fights, it adds variety to the usual Kung Fu style fights that I usually watch.

Guest morgoth

It is a lot like a Sonny Chiba movie. The tournament has the best fights in my opinion because it is a points match. Other than that I was pretty bored by all the fights.

And the short fat guy from Streetfighter is in it. He is the man:D

Guest Chinatown Kid

Morgoth, did you find out what DVD version this was you watched? I'm gonna pick it up and was wondering which version you watched since you say it had great pic quality and letterboxed, that's the one I want to get. I wonder if HKFlix has this or maybe Amazon?

Guest Dion Brother

BRONSON LEE is actually a retitling of a trilogy of Tadashi Yamashita movies sometimes referred to as THE KARATE. The third one is fun with American karateka Donnie Williams in a supporting role. And no, Yamashita is not "Bronson Lee" in the Japanese versions.

Guest morgoth

Thanks for the info Dion Brother.

Sorry C-town kid. I havn't found out what DVD version I saw. All I can find are VHS versions. But I figure there has to be a DVD version since it is available to order on netflix.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks man, I'll see if I can track this DVD down then. I'd really like to see the original triology The Karate that Dion spoke about as well. I figured the Bronson Lee name was something US distributors came up with to capitalize on the notoriety of the names Bruce Lee and Charles Bronson, like the way Roy Horan came up with the name Conan Lee for Loyd Hutchinson.

Guest morgoth

Good point. That seems very likely what they did.

Just so you know the version I watched was an English dub. The guy who dubs Bronson sounds like a cowboy. It is really funny. And it is actually a really good voice job, just way out of place.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Yo morgoth, I never could find this flick on dvd but did find a vhs of it from one of the amazon marketplace sellers for only 1 cent! If I like it i'll try to find the dvd somehow if one exists, anyways thanks for posting about this film.

Guest kungfusamurai

The movie was also released in 1975, if I'm not mistaken. Definitely well before 1978. Yamashita's voice in the sequels is his own and isn't some silly southern drawl. He's actually got a slightly high pitch voice, not as high as Chris Tucker, though. And I think his name is Yamashita in the films. I recall in one of the sequels he wears a jacket or robe with that name on the back.

Out of all three "Karate" movies, the first one features the best fighting.

KFS

Guest morgoth

Well then for 1975 I guess the action isn't so bad. It seems like they are copying SOnny Chiba's style and it isn't done nearly as well.

Is there a good JApanese site similiar to hkcinemagic? IMDB is usually wrong when it comes to karate and kung fu movies.

Guest Dion Brother

They aren't copying Chiba's style, but they are using the same fighting style(karate is distinctively different than gung fu) and the JAC stunt team. Plus the same crews and technicians, so you have the 1970s Toei style.

Guest morgoth

Sorry, what I meant is that it seems like they are using the same filming techniques as Chiba movies. The flying jump kicks look similiar in style and also the way Bronson will jump into the shot.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I saw a clip on youtube of Yamashita fighting Howard Jackson, I'm not sure if this is from the Bronson Lee film or one of the sequels.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for the clip, I'd like to see that film as well. Kurata puts Bronson/Yamashita to shame I'm afraid. Check those 70's fashions out, Disco Fever baby LOL! That bright yellow suit Bronson's wearing is especially hard on the eyes....

Guest kungfusamurai

If you think Kurata was hot in that clip, check him out in the end credits to the TV series he did in '74 called 'Fight! Dragon':

Fight Dragon End Credits

This used to be available in Japan on DVD without subs, but is now out of print. Plus it was probably $300 to buy.

Cliff @ BCI - are you listening?!! If you can get your hands on Fight! Dragon, you'll not only please fans of the japanese karate film genre, but also fans of HK style choreography, which is what this series has. Bolo Yeung even appears in the first episode, and Bruce Liang also makes an appearance.

Another clip from Fight Dragon Kurata Vs Liang

KFS

Guest Dion Brother

three episodes of FIGHT! DRAGON were issued by Ocean Shores as THE FIGHTING DRAGON. Great series.

Yamashita was a Shorin-Ryu expert, so kicks were never his forte. I used to have a Yamashita instructional video from Panther Productions. It's a riot.

Archived