Thor (2011)

AlbertV

Marvel Entertainment has currently been in development of one of their superheroes again...this time the Norse God of Thunder, The Mighty Thor.

Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Layer Cake) has signed to direct the film and at first, WWE wrestler Triple H, Kevin McKidd, and Tyler Mane were interested in the role, but right now, the frontrunner seems to be none other than Brad Pitt!!! As far I know, it's only rumor so we'll see what happens.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they all qualify, the human-counterpart Thor is not that buff. Brad Pitt can be the human counterpart, and Triple H can be his reincarnation as Thor whenever Pitt strikes the ground with Mjolnir (his hammer)

I think they all qualify, the human-counterpart Thor is not that buff. Brad Pitt can be the human counterpart, and Triple H can be his reincarnation as Thor whenever Pitt strikes the ground with Mjolnir (his hammer)

Except they seem to be using the Ultimate books as a template for their movies (disregard all Marvel movies previous to Iron Man). There is no Donald Blake in the Ultimate version of Thor, just Thor.

Read an article that reported that a Thor movie is set to be released in 2010 and directed by Kenneth Branagh. What a tremendous director to do this film. I really like his 4 hour film adaptation of Hamlet and feel his epic vision will give Thor a grandeur feel to it. Or it could be like Ang Lee's Hulk and be too heavy on the melodrama. Either way I'm anxious to see what's in store for this story. Hope it ranks among the great comic films like The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and X-Men 2. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Read an article that reported that a Thor movie is set to be released in 2009 and directed by Kenneth Branagh. What a tremendous director to do this film. I really like his 4 hour film adaptation of Hamlet and feel his epic vision will give Thor the a grandeur feel to it. Or it could be like Ang Lee's Hulk and be too heavy on the melodrama. Either way I'm anxious to see what's in store for this story. Hope it ranks among the great comic films like The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and X-Men 2. What is everyone else's thoughts?

Would be great if they would have used Triple H(the wrestler) as Thor, as i think he has the perfect Nordic look to play him.. however, his acting chops are left questionable.

hhhhammer.jpg

Speaking of which, who is set to play him?

"Would be great if they would have used Triple H(the wrestler) as Thor, as i think he has the perfect Nordic look to play him.. however, his acting chops are left questionable."

He certainly has the look, but as you said the acting may leave a lot to be desired. I thought I heard Brad Pitt's name thrown for the part (may have been mentioned in this forum) but I'm not too sure he'll jump into the deep end of the pool for this one (at least IMO)...

Liked Thor in the Avengers and his Journey Into Mystery issues were OK but never a huge fan of the Thor comic book - until the mid 80s when Walt Simonson took over w/ issue #337 (11/83).

Someone on wiki put it best... "as Simonson took nearly complete control of the series and produced epic, operatic stories that rivaled Jack Kirby’s best work and displayed an in-depth knowledge of Norse mythology."

I had all his issues but no more. I plan to pick up "Thor Visionaries - Walt Simonson" but volumes 2 & 3 are out-of-print and selling for insane prices. Volume #1 is still cheap (and probably the best anyway).

And if someone could do to a movie what Walt did to paper, then it would blow everything out of the water - but that's just wishful thinking....

1427492438_33448381c7.jpg

And if someone could do to a movie what Walt did to paper, then it would blow everything out of the water - but that's just wishful thinking....

I think that's why Branagh was chosen to direct. His Shakespearian film adaptations have that drama and epic quality that fits your wishful thinking. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that is what comes across on-screen.

I think that's why Branagh was chosen to direct. His Shakespearian film adaptations have that drama and epic quality that fits you're wishful thinking. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that is what comes across on-screen.

Yes I agree. KB could do Thor justice -- if the budget does KB justice.

Would love to have this piece by Walt....

thorP.jpg

THOR has been found...Entertainment Weekly posted that 25-year Aussie actor newcomer Chris Hemsworth will be playing Thor. He was recently in STAR TREK and will be in Joss Whedon's horror film CABIN IN THE WOODS.

froffeecoffee

Also, Tom Hiddleston is going to be Loki. He's a British actor that co-starred with Branagh in a BBC miniseries.

Even more news..Brian "Prince Vulcan" Blessed will play Odin in the movie.

Colm Feore and Jayme Alexander have joined Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Brian Blessed, and Natalie Portman in the movie.

Feore is playing a villain and Alexander plays an female Asgardian warrior named Sif.

Plot:

The Mighty Thor (Hemsworth), a powerful but arrogant warrior God is cast down to Earth and forced to live among humans as punishment for his recklessness.

Once here, Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

Kenneth Branagh directs the film, which is scheduled for a 2011 release date.

Stuart Townsend, Ray Stevenson, and (I'm now excited) Tadanobu Asano have joined the cast of THOR.

The trio will play the Warriors Three, three Asgardian heroes who join forces with Thor himself.

Here are official updates for the film

Director: Kenneth Branagh

Cast:

Chris Hemsworth - Thor

Tom Hiddleston - Loki

Anthony Hopkins - Odin

Natalie Portman - Dr. Jane Thomas

Stuart Townsend - Fandral (one of the Warriors 3)

Ray Stevenson - Volstagg (one of the Warriors 3)

Tadanobu Asano - Hogun (one of the Warriors 3)

Idris Elba - Heimdall, Guardian of Asgard

Samuel L. Jackson - Nick Fury (cameo)

Jaimie Alexander - Sif

Colm Feore

Stellan Skarsgard

Kat Dennings

Stunt coordinators Andy Armstrong, James Armstong

Fight choreographer Gary Ray Stearns (he is playing Yoshimitsu in the upcoming TEKKEN film)

Release date: May 20, 2011

I'm sorry I don't see Chris Hemsworth as a good Thor, I think Triple H would've been a good choice as some people had said. I don't think Chris Hemsworth is the right size, body wise to portray Thor....

I heard that coming in a close second for Thor was Alexander Sarsgard, who plays Eric on the HBO series True Blood. He stands 6'4" and apparently had the build too.It was rumored he even wore the outfit as part of the audition.

It is ironic though since his father, Stellan, is in the movie.

never liked "Thor" comics but i dont have any hopes for this movie.

They should stop ruining all the comics with crappy adaptation (i recently watched "Wolverine"... damn it's awful!!) :cry:

danthemandmv

SOOO happy to see Hemsworth sporting Thor's current look from the comics;I've a pretty good feeling Marvel has another hit on its hands...

Archived