Point Break (2016) remake of Swayze/Reeves actioner

AlbertV

Dark Horizons:

When I heard it I thought it a late April Fools as well, but no it's true. A sequel is in the works to 1991's "Point Break" for RGM Entertainment and Essential Entertainment according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Kathryn Bigelow's original flick remains one of the more re-watchable action films of the early 90's with Keanu Reeves playing FBI agent Johnny Utah who goes undercover investigating the Ex-Presients - Californian bank robbers who are surfers aiming to ride the ultimate high. The film famously ends with the leader Bodhi (Patrick Swayze) riding a gigantic wave off the South Australian coast during a 50-year tide and seemingly dying.

According to The IESB, the sequel picks up two decades later where Billy Dalton, military special ops and star surfer, is disqualified from the pro-surfing tour, he takes off for the coast of Bali looking for the perfect wave. While there he's recruited by a private security force who are trying to find a gang known as The Bush Administration, surfing outlaws and modern day pirates who work like "The Ex-Presidents," a bank robbing crew from Malibu twenty years ago.

Jan de Bont ("Speed," Twister") is set to direct and W. Peter Iliff, who wrote the original film, has also penned the sequel which is entitled "Point Break: Indo" presently. Shooting will take place in Singapore and Southeast Asia.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

WHYYYYY HOLLYWOOD WHYYYYYYYYY??????!!!!! You can't just leave well enough alone can you??

This is why I mainly watch Asian movies, and pre millenium Hollywood movies!

Mark Pollard

Asian movies are no refuge from the bane of unnecessary remakes and sequels. Consider recent and upcoming films like BLOOD BROTHERS (2007), ANOTHER BETTER TOMORROW (2009) and THE STORM RIDERS 2 (2009).

I have a soft spot for surfing flicks, even when I know they are almost always manhandled within an inch of their life (In God's Hands, anyone?). Point Break was iconic in a way but it will be interesting to see what they do with it in Bali/ Indonesia, a real surfing destination/frontier. Of course, it could be direct-to-DVD trash as well.

TibetanWhiteCrane

I guess you're right Mark. However, the broader your movie taste is, the better your chances are, of steering clear of crappy remakes and sequels! Sometimes when im fed up with Hollyweird or HK popstar flicks, I turn to old french gangster movies, spaghetti westerns, italian polizzioteschi flicks from the 70's or weird japanese sc fi, samurai and sukeban films.... there are a lot of great cinema out there.... you just have to look...:)

Asia's gotten the remake treatment for so long...look at this lineup:

Shutter

The Eye

The Departed (Infernal Affairs)

The Grudge (Ju-On)

The Lake House (Il Mare)

Now we got coming up: My Sassy Girl, Bangkok Dangerous

Chinatown Kid

I remember reading when A Fistful of Dollars came out someone told Akira Kurasawa that they had ripped off his story in Yojimbo and that he should sue. Kurasawa replied that he couldn't because Yojimbo was taken from Dashiell Hammett's book Red Harvest. Guess people have been borrowing or remaking stories from others since the beginning of time lol.

HyperDrive

This new Point Break looks like deja vu except with a scenary and enemy change.

Now we got coming up: My Sassy Girl, Bangkok Dangerous

Bangkok Dangerous might be good as the original directors, the Pangs, are doing it.

I have a soft spot for surfing flicks, even when I know they are almost always manhandled within an inch of their life (In God's Hands, anyone?). Point Break was iconic in a way but it will be interesting to see what they do with it in Bali/ Indonesia, a real surfing destination/frontier. Of course, it could be direct-to-DVD trash as well.

Haha, yeah - North Shore?:P I just watched In Gods hands a couple months ago it has to be the worst, but I have to love the old 80's surf and skate movies, hell I lived them. The documentaries are way better, I like to watch them and wonder how the hell I ever moved inland the last 13 years.

Point Break isn't to bad of a movie, I loved it when I first saw it but like many movies it didn't age well. The sequel seems to be about 15 years late now.

Chinatown Kid

"That's 100% pure adrenaline Johnny!" The original one was memorable to me cause I seen it when it played theatrically way back in 91. Made me want to learn to surf but I never did.:D

Point Break aged almost immediately on release. Mostly because of Keanu and Patrick. And while they didn't totally mess up the surfing portions, all the talk about how a surfer knows the feeling and zen coupled with Keanu and Patrick mouthing those lines pretty much ruined it for me. Why is it those two are always in these movies where they invoke Buddhism or something internal like that? Maybe these movies are like Zen koans or something... .

Tosh , I love surf/skate movies. I mostly surfed but skated a little. Yeah, North Shore- what a movie! It even had Laird as a total punk-ass b****, which he kinda was in the day. What did you think of Lords of Dogtown (the movie w/ Heath Ledger, not the doc)? That had both.

The writer's script for the sequel had Swayze's character of Bodhi making an appearance, so rumors are swirling that Swayze may return to the role if it is kept and he is well enough to do it.

What did you think of Lords of Dogtown (the movie w/ Heath Ledger, not the doc)?

You know I haven't seen that one yet, I own the doc, I saw that in the theater, I need to go down and rent it. Check out the Hosoi doc - "Rising Sun" if you haven't, it's crazy, and just as entertaining as Dogtown and the Z Boys.

I might have to bust out the longboard this weekend:D

You know I haven't seen that one yet, I own the doc, I saw that in the theater, I need to go down and rent it. Check out the Hosoi doc - "Rising Sun" if you haven't, it's crazy, and just as entertaining as Dogtown and the Z Boys.

I might have to bust out the longboard this weekend:D

Lords of Dogtown was a fun movie. I just bought the DVD for $3 this week at an outlet store. Speed Racer himself, Emile Hirsch, is great as Jay Adams, and it is great how the movies smooth out the relationships and stories of mainly Adams, Tony Alva, and Stacy Peralta (who wrote the screenplay). The real three legends even make appearances in the movie.

There is an update:

A reboot is moving forward...Ericson Core (cinematographer) makes his directorial debut.

Dark Horizons has reported that Gerard Butler will play the role originated by Patrick Swayze, with now the name of the character "Zen".

More casting:

Keanu Reeves' FBI agent in the original will now be played by Aussie actor Luke Bracey, who played Cobra Commander in G.I. JOE: RETALIATION. Details at Dark Horizons

Update with Photos: Gerard Butler dropped out of the project months ago and was replaced by Edgar Ramirez, who now plays Bodhi. Luke Bracey still plays Johnny Utah and the first photos of the duo are now online:

Luke Bracey as Johnny Utah

GJTcYgc.jpg

Edgar Ramirez as Bodhi

Was54Lu.jpg

Geezus do they have to take and try to outdo the original by 1000%, looks like it's going to jump from stunt to stunt - ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

I don't think Luke Bracey can be convincing as an FBI agent, unless he yells that he is one like Keanu Reeves does, then I would definitely believe him.

Archived