Various obscure kung fu flicks on DVD

venoms5

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought it was a ton of fun and I rewatch it a lot. I've seen it way too many times. I'm a big fan of Chang Shan so that's one reason I liked it. Though his second fight is a bit disappointing. This movie also has some of the best zombie fu you will find.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even remember Chang Shan being in this movie nor any zombies. All I remember is the weird sex scenes and the plethora of multi colored ninja costumes and their magical powers.

Morgoth Bauglir

Chang Shan only has a couple of fights unfortunately. His good fight is the opening scene. And maybe you saw a different movie because the zombie fu is unforgettable. I'm not going to tell you where it comes into the movie. I'm going to make you watch the whole thing:D

shaolindogpaw
I have the poster for DIRTY KUNG FU

Cool, i'd love to have that one for my collection. I've got a few posters already, my favorite is my Crazy Shaolin Disciples poster. Any chance of getting a pic of the Dirty Kung fu poster on here? I'd love to see it.

Its been a while since i watched that movie but i could have sworn it starred the great Fu Sheng... but imdb doesn't have his name listed anywhere.

Chinatown Kid

I believe Dirty Kung Fu starred the late Wong Yue aka Young Wang Yu, Fu Sheng wasn't in any independents because of his iron-clad Shaw contract.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I don't think Fu Sheng did any independents. Can you think of any star or semi stars that only worked at SB in their career, or until SB closed shop?

Chinatown Kid

Let's see, what about Ku Feng, was he in any independents? Also Kara Hui and the Venoms until Shaw closed.

Ku Feng did a number of indys. A lot of Indy's were distributed by Shaw's including many that featured their contract players.

Morgoth Bauglir
Let's see, what about Ku Feng, was he in any independents? Also Kara Hui and the Venoms until Shaw closed.

Ku Feng did tons of Independents. Kara Hui and the Venoms, I think you are right on those 2.

Erh Tung Sheng comes to mind.

I believe his aka is Derek Yee? You may be right. I don't remember him in any independents. I thought I may have been onto something about Fu Sheng being the only person who only acted at Shaws, but I guess not:p

Chinatown Kid

Ah I stand corrected then, thanks venom.:) I wish Fu had been given a chance to do Snake in the Eagle's shadow, it would be interesting to have seen Alexander in a non-Shaw production.

I believe his aka is Derek Yee?

That's him. I know most people use the canto pronunciation but I like to stick with the mandarin where applicable since those spellings are what's present on the films from the time period. Helps to avoid confusion, but then, it still doesn't seem to do much good does it?:P

Morgoth Bauglir

I just go with one name and I stick with it. Whatever is easiest fo me to remember. But I watch so many movies and look up information on these actors so often that you become familiar with all of the other names that are used. Derek is pretty easy to remember for me. I just always found it easy to remember those English types of first names whenever possible, like Champ, Gordon, Johnny, Cassanova, Ringo, Elvis... Another reason I think I use the English type names is because in a lot of the 80's HK movies the characters name in the movie would be his real life name (or the name they are known by), like Tony or MIchael.

Chinatown Kid

It took me a while to start saying Lau Kar Leung because I grew up with the English dubbed films with the credits listing his name as Liu Chia Liang, and Gordon Liu being called Liu Chia Hui. It's hard to break doing something you get used too.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

green jade statuette is the premier flick on that list IMO a must have.

Where can you get a decent version of Eagle Claw & Butterfly Claw? The Tai Seng version is all blurry and basically unwatchable.

Where can you get a decent version of Eagle Claw & Butterfly Claw? The Tai Seng version is all blurry and basically unwatchable.

I guess if you can find the Ocean Shores tape. I know a couple of people who will most likely have it. I noticed some motion blurring. I assume that's what you're referring to, VOHL? I skimmed through the disc. What a great cast, too.

Just popped in KILLER OF SNAKE, FOX OF SHAOLIN and the credits start off in 1:85 then go to 1:77 for the remaining titles then it shifts to fullscreen. This one has motion blur as well. The Tai Seng/Ocean Shores dvd's I bought several years ago didn't have any blur effects that I recall.

THE INVINCIBLE KUNG FU LEGS aka LEG FIGHTERS is fine though. I had bought this one years ago but don't remember the longer title being on there. Tan's name is spelled uniquely here--"Starring Tarn Daw Liang":p

Just skimmed through THE INVINCIBLE KUNG FU TRIO after reading on the back of the box that Chen Kuan Tai is in the film. I didn't think he was in this and couldn't find him at all but yet the first credited actor is "Chen Kuang Tai"(???)

Watched NINJA VS SHAOLIN GUARDS the other night. Awful movie. At least the fights were good if that's all you want from these kinds of movies and the entire main cast appeared to be wearing gobs of makeup on their faces. The "ninjas" don't show up till the last 10 minutes.

Been making my way through NINJA HUNTER the past two evenings and while it, too, is an awful flick, it's better than I remember it being. It was a surprise to see Ricky Cheng Tien Chi during the first 20 minutes or so but he just seems to disappear from the picture unless I missed something. Also, surprised to realize this is a Shaolin story dealing with Hung Si Kwan and his son. The movie melds elements from EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN, CLAN OF THE WHITE LOTUS, SHAOLIN INTRUDERS and FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS to name those that come to mind. However, I could swear the Chinese girls were completely naked on the OS tape I saw so long ago. Here, they're wearing see-through clothes. Really nice print, too. Again, fights are good although everything else is pretty lousy.

Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah it's lousy if you are expecting a great movie or something, but as far as kung fu movies go, for pure fun I don't think it gets too much better than Ninja Hunter. Ninja vs Shaolin Guards I thought was a bit disappointing, but that's only because I liked the opening credits fight the best. I hate it when the first fight is the best. But I still enjoyed it a lot. Have you watched Ninja USA? That's my favorite movie in that 6-pack. Really awesome fights. Any movie where Chang Shan throws down is hard for me not to like.

Yeah, I agree the fights were good and the only thing remotely interesting in the flick, but without any substance behind the "style" you have a pretty empty film. Watched most of GREEN JADE STATUETTE last night. Much better movie but it seemed kind of boring. Fights when they happened were good. Nice cast, too. Wonder if this was made around the same time as EAGLE'S CLAW? Similar cast and both Beardy and Phillip Ko are only in the movie a short time. I kept falling asleep so possibly I missed something?

Rewatched GREEN JADE STATUETTE and it was a lot better. The action really turned up towards the end. In addition to the action, the story is good, too. Lee Tso Nam is/was definitely one of the best indy directors from the time period.

Checking out KILLER FROM ABOVE right now. Really good so far. I got worried once Carter Wong entered the film, but Lo Lieh is really awesome in this movie and Chang Yi is here also so there's a good number of others to keep Wong from totally ruining the flick.

Rewatched GREEN JADE STATUETTE and it was a lot better. The action really turned up towards the end. In addition to the action, the story is good, too. Lee Tso Nam is/was definitely one of the best indy directors from the time period.

Co-sign on that. GJS rocked - as does Nam.

Too bad its full. I believe Falkor had a wide print available on his site.

Just finished KILLER FROM ABOVE. Great movie. Great cast and Carter Wong was not allowed to ruin the film. Lo Lieh is bad ass playing the hero. I would assume that was a rare occasion at this point in his career. The film is very similar to EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN in some ways in that Lo Lieh uses an almost identical bronze contraption as CKT used in the Shaw film to defeat Carter Wong's character in this film. This is definitely an upper tier indy for me. Lots of familiar faces, too.

Archived