Various obscure kung fu flicks on DVD

venoms5

I forget who it was, but somebody asked me about TATTOO CONNECTION. It's here on this set...

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=32333424

Also, does anybody know anything about these below...? There's others, but you have to wade through 28 pages to see them all.

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=9319670

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=21030943

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=9374654

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=12720132

This looks like a Rarescope box here...

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.546390/qx/details.htm

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nobody has seen those Fusian releases? I was a bit curious about them and any details on the films from those who've purchased some of them would be appreciated.

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn't think much of Bloody Mask or Fight for the Agreement. Son of the Swordsman is average at best. Eight Immortals is a bit above average, and King of Kings is the only really good Fusian release I've seen. In the rarescope pack you got Shaolin Ninja, Shaolin Tai Chi, Dream Sword, Cottonmill, Face Behind the Mask and Ninjas and Dragons which are all worth watching.

vonhumboldtfleisher

A lot of those late sixties Taiwanese swordplay films are a bit samey, but you could just as easily say the same thing about SB films. Personally I like them a lot, although FIGHT FOR THE AGREEMENT is probably the weakest of the bunch.

I've seen SHAOLIN VS NINJA. Thought it was one of the worst kung fu flicks I've ever seen. Ditto for CHINESE GODFATHER. Passed over a number of those Tai/Lo Rei movies because of films like this and NINJA HUNTERS. Thanks for the responses Morgoth and Von. I may pick up one or two of the Fusian discs soon.

Cool. I plan to get that set I was just curious on those more obscure films as I hadn't heard of them before.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't want to hype Face Behind the Mask up too much, but I think you'll like it a lot. It's a really cool oldschool wuxia.

The Rarescope box has some fun films that should not be missed. Ninja And Dragons is like a Yuen Clan movie. Shaolin Vs. Tai Chi was fun. Face Behind The Mask was cool & has Hsu Feng in it. I liked Dream Sword. The only Fusian film you need is King Of Kings. Son Of Swordsman has the same cast, but the film doesn't work as well. From Fusian, Duel with The Devil is okay, too. They have a new release called "Secret of the Sword Vol. 1". I wonder what that is like?

Some of them looked like newer movies. I think that SECRET OF THE SWORD was one of them.

Okay, what's people's thoughts on these save for the one's listed I already have or have already seen? Morgoth, I KNOW (or most all of them) you have seen all of these...

Martial Arts Showdown Volume 1:

THE LEG FIGHTERS (have already)

DEATH RING (used to have)

KILLER OF SNAKE, FOX OF SHAOLIN

KILLER FROM ABOVE

EAGLE CLAW & BUTTERFLY PALM

CHALLENGE OF DEATH (have already)

Shaolin Collection:

SHAOLIN MONK

SHAOLIN MONK FIGHTS BACK

SHAOLIN HERO

Ninja Six Collection:

NINJA HUNTER (seen before)

NINJA IN THE DEADLY TRAP (have already)

NINJA VS NINJA

NINJA IN THE USA

NINJA VS BRUCE LEE

NINJA VS SHAOLIN GUARDS

99 CYCLING SWORDS

DIRTY KUNG FU (if this is the same movie, I have the original poster for it)

HE HAS NOTHING BUT KUNG FU (have already)

NINJA SUPREMO

NINJA WOLVES

SECRET OF THE CHINESE KUNG FU

THE 72 DESPERATE REBELS

THE DEADLY SWORD

THE DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU

INVINCIBLE KUNG FU TRIO

INVINCIBLE KILLER

THE 18 JADE ARHATS (used to have)

THE GREEN JADE STATUETTE

THE SIX DIRECTIONS OF BOXING

TWO DRAGONS FIGHT AGAINST TIGER

Morgoth Bauglir

Here's a few that I would check out first-

Ninja USA- Lo Rei and CHang Shan team up. One of Lo Rei's best performances.

Leg FIghters- AWESOME fighting. Not a very good story, and the comedy didn't do it for me (excpet for a few moments with Chin Lung).

Death Duel of Kung Fu- John Liu, Wong Tao and Eagle Han Ying at their best.

Killer From Above- Lo LIeh does a great job as the lead actor, CLiff Lok has a nice little role, and Carter Wong is really badass as the villain.

LEG FIGHTERS I have already. It was pretty good for these indy movies. There was a couple more I wanted to get but were out of stock. I'll definitely give those a go first when I get time. Which ones would you NOT recommend looking at first, but last?

Morgoth Bauglir

You won't be missing much if you don't watch these-

Death Ring

Ninja vs Bruce Lee

Killer Snake, Fox of Shaolin

Ninja vs Ninja- I haven't watched this in awhile but I think it's a Godfrey Ho ninja movie. The Chinese footage is this really weird stupid movie starring Norman Chu and Wilson Tong.

Eagle Claw Butterfly Palm- totally unwatchable picture quality. Not that good of a movie to begin with.

18 Jade Ahrats- this movie I thought started off pretty good, but by the end I hated it. There is this one really funny scene where Polly Kuan and the lead actor come to two doors that go two different directions. One is called birth and the other death. Polly Kuan being the ass kicking machine that she is says that she will take the death door because she knows that she's way tougher than the other guy. So she has to fight a ton of scary guys in the dark, and the other guy sits down and drinks wine with women around him and music playing.

I used to have DEATH RING. Awful movie. It's included in one of the multi packs. Terrible redux of DUEL OF FISTS. I used to have a beautiful print of 18 JADE ARHATS. All I remember about it is the statue thing.

Morgoth Bauglir
I used to have DEATH RING. Awful movie. It's included in one of the multi packs.

Well now you get to watch it with a Ric Meyers commentary:p But to be honest, I actually enjoyed the commentary. I think the only other Ric Meyers commentary I liked was on The Fists The Kicks and The Evils.

I listened to the commentary when I bought it the first time and can't honestly tell you anything about it save for Meyer's rustling papers as he "valiantly" attempts to read off an IMDB style list of acting credits for various participants in his own inimitable fashion.:D

shaolindogpaw

I've seen most of these but my taste vary... i love Godfrey Ho/IFD flicks, but i will rate them as if I were somebody who didn't have odd taste.

Out of 5 stars.

These are my 2 favorite ones from the list.

HE HAS NOTHING BUT KUNG FU *****

DIRTY KUNG FU *****

THE LEG FIGHTERS *****

THE GREEN JADE STATUETTE ****

99 CYCLING SWORDS ****

THE 18 JADE ARHATS ****

KILLER OF SNAKE, FOX OF SHAOLIN ****

EAGLE CLAW & BUTTERFLY PALM ***

CHALLENGE OF DEATH **

SHAOLIN MONK **

SHAOLIN MONK FIGHTS BACK **

SHAOLIN HERO **

NINJA VS SHAOLIN GUARDS **

NINJA IN THE DEADLY TRAP **

NINJA SUPREMO **

THE DEADLY SWORD **

THE DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU **

NINJA HUNTER ** Wasn't too bad for a ninja movie.

NINJA VS NINJA *

NINJA IN THE USA *

NINJA VS BRUCE LEE *

Eagle Claw Butterfly Palm- totally unwatchable picture quality. Not that good of a movie to begin with.

I'll cosign on that.

Disappointed because it was in my CKC hunt and the dark images ruined it.

Watched the first 20/30 minutes of Jade A and had to scrap it.

Just didn't motivate me.

On the other hand, I actually liked Death Ring.

Far from great but nice to see CC & the boys together.

The "boss" on the set of DR with ... (actress name anyone?)

dr1.jpg

dr2.jpg

..props to Carol

Chinatown Kid

Ti Lung looks like he's wearing his pimp daddy suit in that pic lol. :D Haven't seen Death Ring but will have to check it out.

Ti Lung looks like he's wearing his pimp daddy suit in that pic lol. :D Haven't seen Death Ring but will have to check it out.

It's an awful movie, IMO. It's as if Lu Feng (credited as director if I remember right) began the film but got bored with the material and either began filming a completely different movie or CC took over the production. Only suffered through it once and gave it away but will most likely keep this one for posterity. I remember it being something of a remake of Cheh's own DUEL OF FISTS.

I've seen most of these but my taste vary... i love Godfrey Ho/IFD flicks, but i will rate them as if I were somebody who didn't have odd taste.

Out of 5 stars.

These are my 2 favorite ones from the list.

HE HAS NOTHING BUT KUNG FU *****

DIRTY KUNG FU *****

THE LEG FIGHTERS *****

THE GREEN JADE STATUETTE ****

99 CYCLING SWORDS ****

THE 18 JADE ARHATS ****

KILLER OF SNAKE, FOX OF SHAOLIN ****

EAGLE CLAW & BUTTERFLY PALM ***

CHALLENGE OF DEATH **

SHAOLIN MONK **

SHAOLIN MONK FIGHTS BACK **

SHAOLIN HERO **

NINJA VS SHAOLIN GUARDS **

NINJA IN THE DEADLY TRAP **

NINJA SUPREMO **

THE DEADLY SWORD **

THE DEATH DUEL OF KUNG FU **

NINJA HUNTER ** Wasn't too bad for a ninja movie.

NINJA VS NINJA *

NINJA IN THE USA *

NINJA VS BRUCE LEE *

Cool. Thanks for those ratings shaolindogpaw. I have the poster for DIRTY KUNG FU. Shaw distro but Lau Brothers Co. I think. If this is the same one, Wong Yu is prominent on the poster. I had seen NINJA HUNTER years back. Horrible experience. Is this the one with Alan Hsu with white hair and he has sex with women and gets blood out of their body in some fashion??? If this is the same movie I had rented the Ocean Shores tape a long time ago.

Morgoth Bauglir

You are close. Jack Long plays Abbot White. He has one of my favorite dubbed lines in Ninja Hunter. I put it as my signature.

Cool. Thanks Morgoth. I knew I'd seen the movie but couldn't remember who exactly it was I saw in the film as the white haired villain. Maybe I'll get a kick out of seeing it again now.

Archived