The Master (Updated with Screencaps)

oldeschool17

oldeschool17

Cool.

With Power DVD, I went to the configuation menu

Click on Player Setting

Click on Advanced

Click on Snapshot

Set to Current Video Size (bullet-point like icon)

And tick the box which reads KEEP ASPECT RATIO

What do you mean abotu the English version not being there?

Na, the English credit sequence :).

Do all anamorphic DVDs look like this? It looks blurry and distorted.

Not sure why Venoms caps look overexposed, but I uploaded a capture (feel free to add Olde) and levels-wise, it looks the same as MB, but it's soft due to the upscale likely. I'd only upscale stuff that was inserts to complete an uncut movie or something, but no other time really. I know there's the scanline issue as you say though.

Celestial were dumb by doing it non-anamorphic FFS. Thankfully it seems they've stopped that (unless that's for HD transferred stuff only?).

I've been told converting PAL non-anamorphic to NTSC anamorphic nearly has the same values (?).

OK, in layman's terms

Anamorphic is a way to blow up a widescreen picture for a widescreen tv, removing some or all of the black bars without removing detail. Its common practice on many dvds

Not as such, but yeah, it is complicated to explain in a post. But in a long nutshell (for this 16x9 DVD), anamorphic allows you put a higher resolution image into a lower resolution capacity by squishing inwards (hence why Venom's caps look distorted). From there, you can use a computer DVD player to stretch back out to the original resolution prior to squishing (poorer quality). Alternatively, you can use a projector lens or CRT monitor to stretch it out again optically (better quality).

It's a subject you'd need to read online :).

Morgoth Bauglir

It's a subject you'd need to read online :).

I think I'll just try to forget abotu anamorphic. MAybe then my head will stop hurting:p

And the opening credits have Chinese on the left and English on the right, expect for 2 credits which are just in Chinese.

Killer Meteor
I think I'll just try to forget abotu anamorphic. MAybe then my head will stop hurting:p

And the opening credits have Chinese on the left and English on the right, expect for 2 credits which are just in Chinese.

Well, next time you go to buy a tv, keep in mind 4;3 tvs are going the way of the dinosaur

venom10463

I had my setting to the default NTSC 720 480 resolution. I couldn't find the right resolution to preserve the aspect ratio. So I just captured them at the default 720/480 resolution.

Morgoth Bauglir
Well, next time you go to buy a tv, keep in mind 4;3 tvs are going the way of the dinosaur

I have 2 TVs as backup in case the one I got now breaks. I'll be chillin with the dinosaurs for awhile:cool:

MB got an original trailer for 'The Master' unlike IVL, nice one ;).

But yes, subtitles aren't 16:9 friendly (for that, they must be divided between the black bar and the image, or placed over the screen entirely which I don't like as it obscures stuff and feels crammed, etc) making it only suitable for those with 14:9 zoom. For god's sake...

This Well Go USA looks a bit out of place, but they may actually examine their stuff for general quality and strike a more balanced result on the movie itself as opposed to a mixed result coming from distributors focued on this genre (in the US) doing both extras and AV, but not getting it all correct. Although it uses a 5 minute character (TCOS) and the bland Crash Cinema-reminiscent theme on the artwork, they don't appear photoshopped thankfully. I've emailed with my opinions/requests and got a response about packaging and confirmation of passing my comments on - we'll soon see folks :)...

Another note about the comparison is that during the PAL>NTSC conversion, it seems to have cropped the sides and stretched them, making for the slightly fatter look.

oldeschool17

Im not gonna do caps, but here is what the subs are in the beginning before the fight in the beginning. I highlighted in red what seemed out of place or didnt flow that well(well at least to me it didn't).

CKT: You three are very punctual

Wang Lung Wei: Jin Tianyun, we have nothing to do with you. Why do you call us here?

CKT: Because you are murderers and rapists, I cant stand anymore.

WLW: So you want to be a hero?

CKT: I just want to give you a little punishment. To chop off all your right hands. Then you'll behave properly in the future.

Im not gonna do caps, but here is what the subs are in the beginning before the fight in the beginning. I highlighted in red what seemed out of place or didnt flow that well(well at least to me it didn't).

CKT: Because you are murderers and rapists, I cant stand anymore.

The subs say..."Because I can't stand to see murderers and rapists". Only he says it like this--"Killers and murderers...I can't stand the sight of you!"

A lot of Chinese is literally spoken backwards much like Yoda-speech.

Not sure about the other one but he does mention severing the hands of the three men.

tokenganjaclan

Man you guys crack me up. The MB dvd wipes the floor against the IVL. I have both and it's night and day. Who gives a rats ass if it's not 16.9 friendly? The colors, detail ect..On the MB disc is outstanding. Let alone the PERFECT dub. Not one bit of hiss or pops. Even the fake 5.1 is outstanding. To my eyes the IVL is a fake ani-job anyway.

I can't stand 16.9 tvs either. IMO they look like dog crap. Have a good watch on your Sat or Cable.. Blah!!! If you like break up, thats your bag. I'll take my 36inch Sony CRT any day. I say well done MB. They didn't muck with the movie by making fake ani-crap, they left it the way they got the print. $12 well worth it.

More examples that they fix translation, but nothing else (awkwardness, grammar etc).

They don't appear to be working from the Cantonese judging by the names either?

David Rees

tokenganjacian you have a lot to learn about image transmission.

16:9 anamorphic gives you more resolution than normal 4:3 simple as that.

The only reason a 16:9 set would look horrible is if its set up wrong (a lot of this can be seen in stores unfortunately!)

Go to a proper AV store and ask to be shown the difference and you will then realise that anamorphic is the way to go with far better picture quality.

If you buy the right cables then a widescreen tv will switch to anamorphic automatically when its fed the signal.

I wont be buying this release for this reason, even if i zoom in on the image i loose the subtitles!....crazy

Hmm...Going to watch this with some Chinese speaking friends & then we'll get down to whether or not the subs are accurate. I don't know how many people here speak Chinese. Maybe some of the people who've commented on the subs here are fluent or speak it a little? If so, can you suggest better translations from the OG language?

tokenganjaclan
tokenganjacian you have a lot to learn about image transmission.

16:9 anamorphic gives you more resolution than normal 4:3 simple as that.

The only reason a 16:9 set would look horrible is if its set up wrong (a lot of this can be seen in stores unfortunately!)

Go to a proper AV store and ask to be shown the difference and you will then realise that anamorphic is the way to go with far better picture quality.

If you buy the right cables then a widescreen tv will switch to anamorphic automatically when its fed the signal.

I wont be buying this release for this reason, even if i zoom in on the image i loose the subtitles!....crazy

I know Anamorphic is better. I buy all my movies in Ana if they are out that way. The Master isn't and I'm glad it's not. Just look what happened on the IVL. It's a total fake job that has just been pulled forward and trimmed. Maybe MB could have done a better job at faking it, Who knows. I give them credit for leaving it well enough alone. Either way, like I said " It mops the floor up against the IVL" The IVL is just bad, Pulled forward,trimmed and what's up with the color??? The color,clarity of the MB is tops. And it's only $12, C'mon everyone has $12.

oldeschool17
what's up with the color???

Venom10643 had his settings wrong so the size and picture came out wrong. For an accurate comparison, go to post#142 for my reply. I will delete the original comparisons due to it being an inaccurate comparison

David Rees

$12 is a waste if i cant read the subs properly (it will cost me a lot more than $12 to import it to the UK!)....its still the IVL for me im afraid just for the convenience of watching it properly on my TV. Im sure the picture quality is very good which is makes it all the more frustrating.:(

Curious.. for the ppl who cant see the sub's correctly, is it because your zooming in to fill your screen? The reason I ask, I played this on my 42' Toshiba LCD tv and I see things fine. Sure I have the black bars but that doesn't bother me one bit.

Killer Meteor

For the record, the subs on the Siren DVD can be read fine with a 16:9 zoom. However it only has a Mandarin track

Sorry to necro this thread, but just came across THE MASTER in 4K, the first time I have seen this available in HD (don't think it has ever been on iTunes/Amazon/etc.). Celestial are still releasing new titles in HD on streaming sites in Asia, but for some reason don't seem to be putting anything new out on US services.

• Like 3