The Master (Updated with Screencaps)

oldeschool17

David Rees

JS stuff is fake anamorphic. I reckon MB didn't upconvert to anamorphic as that would have worsened the quality and really cheated people instead.

I would rather have "fake" anamorphic than a picture that is difficult to watch on widescreen tv sets!

I was able to pick this up Friday. For those asking it has the original DUB in mono and 5.1 Dolby. The images is not that horrible on my 37 inch TV. If you watch it with the old school dub and zoom in it stil looks good. But either way I guess I'm easy to please.

gravedigger666

Sometimes have to wonder do you guys concentrate into movie itself or just picture quality...I have not seen IVL release so bad necessary to upgrade for movie itself,in few cases done it by extras....no difference to me is quality good or excellent:o

David Rees

I have a 32" lcd.

The picture quality on the Celestials are fine, its when you have a widescreen tv and you have to zoom in to get the right ratio that you lose quality and it can cut off subtitles.

WAIT A MINUTE....

Youre' saying the movie is non-anamorphic? Damn!!!

It was that or a fake 16X9 Celestial transfer. MB felt that the loss in quality for the added resolution was not worth it. I have an interview with MB coming up in a week that will talk about it.

I can say for a FACT that The Master is the ONLY title that will have this occur.

oldeschool17

On your interview, will you have a question asking MB why they do not answer their emails or correspond to their fans?

On your interview, will you have a question asking MB why they do not answer their emails or correspond to their fans?

No idea what email addy you have been using. It could old or outdated. What is it? Their email server has in the past been goofy at times (tech side, not theirs).

oldeschool17
No idea what email addy you have been using. It could old or outdated. What is it? Their email server has in the past been goofy at times (tech side, not theirs).

i think there has been a few thats out there on a google search:

jsirabella [at] yahoo.com

customer@media-blasters.com

info@media-blasters.com

(212) 532-1688<-----this is their fax#?

I've tried about 6 addresses and they didn't respond, or they returned with postmaster.

I'd definitely be interested in hearing a response from them.

mistertpitydafoo

It's the original english dub I'm 110% sure. It even has a line from this one WuTang song from the cd Wutang Forever where he goes something like, "you've rapped and pillaged, I'm here to punish you" "are you my judge?" "Yes I am, I'm gonna chop off your arm, are you ready?" I had always wondered where that line had came from because I've heard them sample many other martial arts movies and have recognized the lines but this one I never did (plus I usually don't want the dub versions so I thought I would never find the source of that line and while I was watching it I got all happy about my discovery).

Idiots.

Not really, as they maintained the original quality and sharpness by not touching it - upscaling it would have softened it. Blame Celestial for the non-anamorphic transfer, but MB are most likely responsible for anything else - subs, etc.

Not really, as they maintained the original quality and sharpness by not touching it - upscaling it would have softened it. Blame Celestial for the non-anamorphic transfer.

Right, it would be the same as hitting the zoom button on a dvd player. MB in this case gave the viewer the option of choosing what they preferred, much better than only a fake anamorphic transfer.

David Rees
MB in this case gave the viewer the option of choosing what they preferred, much better than only a fake anamorphic transfer.

How?...i dont have a choice, i have to zoom in to get the proper resolution and fill my screen therefore sacrificing picture quality.

I hope as stated there next release will be ok as i want to support what the company are releasing.

CHEAP HONG KONG LEGENDS DVDS HERE!

How?...i dont have a choice, i have to zoom in to get the proper resolution and fill my screen therefore sacrificing picture quality.

I hope as stated there next release will be ok as i want to support what the company are releasing.

Non-anamorphic is crap, but I reckon MB thought:

Upscaling to 16:9 will affect both those with 4:3 and 16:9 equipment in terms of quality.

Non-anamorphic only affects those with 16:9 equipment, so leaving as it was was the lesser of the evils as to maintain resolution and also suit 4:3 TVs (not that 4:3 is the people's choice of course).

But that is sort of the same effect with a fake anamorphic transfer.

David Rees

No its not. My so called fake anamorphic transfers look far better than any that have to be "zoomed in".

Out of interest how many of us here have widescreen TV's as opposed to 4:3?...i know you cant buy 4:3 new TV's in the UK anymore is that the same everywhere?

I never realised the importance of anamorphic until i upgraded to a widescreen and it is very noticeable on larger screens, 32" upwards.

By having non-anamorphic transfers your not making your discs very user freindly for the future are you.:eek:

I recently got a Samsung 37 inch LCD TV and I agree with what David Ree's wrote in that the anamorphic enhancement is a wonderful thing. That same thing being said I'm not mad at MB for releasing what they did, I would be more upset if the picture quality was all grainly and damaged but it was clean and looked good to me.

I guess I'm easy to please. The action in the movie more than made up for it. :D

The Running Man
Is the HK dvd anamorphic?

Yes.

gfanikf,

if you have direct contact with Media Blasters, please tell them to tell their translator to redo the Celestial subtitles totally to make sure NOTHING is dumbed down and make sure all grammar is proper. Also, it'd be preferable if the subtitles on their interviews were also removable.

There were also some odd mistakes on the Heroes Two DVD like the new trailer playing four times in a row (twice non-anamorphic, twice anamorphic) that would be appreciated if they were to make sure it won't happen again.

And finally, to make sure that the video for the main features are progressive video and not interlaced.

And finally, to make sure that the video for the main features are progressive video and not interlaced.

Actually, all film-based material including extras.

I suspect one of their extras was taken from PAL video judging by the audio's pitch and not converted to the original NTSC speed, but I can't fully confirm.

Also if they could please correct ratio stuff on their extras and if being transferred from VHS, to crop off squiggly lines.

The Running Man
Actually, all film-based material including extras.

Actually, you're getting ahead of yourself. ;)I am just asking for it to be on the main feature. It's not a big deal if it isn't on the special features. Most DVDs don't anyway.

It's not a big deal if it isn't on the special features.

It is a big deal and I'm surprised you're saying otherwise for a hardcore DVD enthusiast:(.

The Running Man

What's a bigger deal to me if it's an interview that's letterboxed but not anamorphic and even then I won't sweat it. But a video interview that isn't progressive is not a big deal.