The Master (Updated with Screencaps)

oldeschool17

David Rees

But surely if the distributor insists on anamorphic then there wont be such problems. Can you imagine someone like Universal releasing non-anamorphic titles, there would be outrage and rightly so!

mistertpitydafoo

Chen Lung, I meant Slates as in...

Slates = The subtitles for signs and books and other things they show onscreen. (It wasn't a typo for states :) )

IVLs never seem to have those like an example is the name of the school on The Master, called The Decent Martial Arts School. The IVL does not have slates like that. I wish all them did because quite often they show symbols or signs that we can't read. Like at the end of Boxer From The Temple when he is reading the signs that tell him to follow buddha and repent (I'm assuming from the voice over and what happens at the end) but it doesn't tell you what they say even though they are important to the story like these media blaster ones do. Thats a feature I really like about them. IVLs need Slates.

oldeschool17
But surely if the distributor insists on anamorphic then there wont be such problems. Can you imagine someone like Universal releasing non-anamorphic titles, there would be outrage and rightly so!

Oh i understand, but who knows what kinda of agreements were worked out on these releases.

Chen, fake anamorphic, are you basically saying they stretched out the picture to make it appear as anamorphic? How would one be able to identify if thats the case(would it be very obvious visually,etc)?

Chen, fake anamorphic, are you basically saying they stretched out the picture to make it appear as anamorphic? How would one be able to identify if thats the case(would it be very obvious visually,etc)?

I can't be sure, but I suspect it could be the case.

If MB were able to answer (:rolleyes:), then we'd know what the situation was for sure.

Killer Meteor

I think the fake anamorphic is when the transfer is a 4:3 letterbox master later re-adapted into a new 16:9 anamorphic master, as opposed to a brand new anamorphic master

Early on in the IVLs, they switched to anamorphic dvds, even though the masters were the same 4:3 masters. This includes titles like 36th Chamber and The Lizard. However, someone added tons of edge enhancements onto the images, making them look worse than the previous non-anamorphic masters! This was later sorted out after a couple of batches

Siren (Australia) got anamorphic or not depending on what Celestial's original PAL master was. That's why their Heroes Two was non-anamorphic, it was Celestial original pre-HD version, more zoomed in and not framecut than the new Media Blasters DVD

Now Momentum UK was just awful. Everything they released was non-anamorphic, even though two of the masters - Spirutal Boxer and the 2nd version of Heroes Two - existed in 16:9 anamorphic genuine at Celestial

MIB (Germany) Their first lot was non-anamorphic and all titles Celestial kept 4:3 masters only at the time. However, from their second batch, they were 16:9 releases, regardless of the original master. Whether Celestial did this or MIB did it themselves I don't know but see. It can be done

And all the French and dutch DVDs are anamorphic! But no English subs. Still, splendid fellows!!!

So I'm not crucifying Media Blasters for this. It could be Celestial screwed up and there was not enough time to correct things. I hope they respond and at the very least copy the Germans!

I donno why people pre-order unless it's a limited edition - you never know what you're gonna get :).

Is the film progressive?

Aside from the anamorphic issue, I'll still pick this up to support MB for trying to bring more Shaw Brothers movies to Region 1 DVD!!

Has to be an issue with Celestial that the print was not anamorphic like other's had wrote.

oldeschool17

Chen or somebody, please post up screens from the IVL version. Your's truly, will do a screenshot comparison once my MB comes in.

for any true movie fans not just martial arts alone, region 1 or not is nothing more than just a minor annoyance. Region free dvd players are plenty in the market.

oldeschool17

exactly. there's no excuse to not own a dvd player with the capability to break region coding.

for any true movie fans not just martial arts alone, region 1 or not is nothing more than just a minor annoyance. Region free dvd players are plenty in the market.

Very true, but when your wonderful wife asks you to choose between a new LCD TV and a region free player...the TV wins!! :D My next purchase will be a region free player for sure.

Also Region 1 got the crappy end of the stick for years now and it's nice to have some companies put out Shaw Brothers and other martial arts movies with quality extras decent audio/video quality.

oldeschool17
Very true, but when your wonderful wife asks you to choose between a new LCD TV and a region free player...the TV wins!! :D My next purchase will be a region free player for sure.

Also Region 1 got the crappy end of the stick for years now and it's nice to have some companies put out Shaw Brothers and other martial arts movies with quality extras decent audio/video quality.

In all due respect, if you can afford a $1000+ tv, whats $50 more dollars for a hackable region free dvd player?

I found a Phillips dvd player w/hdmi out that sold for around $40/50. It was easy to make region free. It isnt the best but not bad at all for the price.

tokenganjaclan

Not to high jack but I can't understand why people still don't have region free players? Here's one of the best players out, Super good if you use it as your main cd player as well. Audiophile grade cd player and one hell of a dvd player as well.

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-DV-980H-Up-Converting-Universal-Player/dp/B000UIA6YM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211569300&sr=8-1

Or here is an even cheaper option. $60 and it upscales as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVP5982-1080p-Upscaling-Player/dp/B000N254LU/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1211569300&sr=8-5

In all due respect, if you can afford a $1000+ tv, whats $50 more dollars for a hackable region free dvd player?

Oh I brought that up but when you've save for the TV and the insurance plan another $50 bucks wasn't in the budget. Also my wife wanted to get Wii Fit. I know I know excuses all around, but hey what's the problem about waiting for Region 1? I'm not complaining about the products.

But you do make a valid point.

Shrug I am quite happy with this release... Thats all that matters right? I am gladly retiring my IVL version.

oldeschool17
Oh I brought that up but when you've save for the TV and the insurance plan another $50 bucks wasn't in the budget. Also my wife wanted to get Wii Fit. I know I know excuses all around, but hey what's the problem about waiting for Region 1? I'm not complaining about the products.

But you do make a valid point.

Trust me, i know how it is to have the wife cockblock all the fun. I was just hoping you could use that leverage on negotiations with the wife. :D

David Rees

Has anybody spoken to them as to why this is not anamorphic?. Having just upgraded to a large screen lcd it really is noticeable when you have to zoom in on a dvd and thats without the sub problems.

As i said before its just not on to release non-widescreen friendly discs in this day and age. If Joy Sales can do it on there budget releases then anyone can!

Shaw Brothers DVD's OFFICIAL ALL REGION FROM $1.89!

Not me. It looks like crap stretched on my 50" TV. Where's the subs when it's stretched? I will not touch a future release from them unless it's anamorphic. This is a mega waste of double dipping.

Hail Image!!!

Image are far worse in what they do. MB get proper NTSC at least (even if they don't flag it as progressive), but it's still a lacking release in other areas.

As long as MB have the subtitles placed over the black bar and image, it should be fine for zooming in at least.

Has anybody spoken to them as to why this is not anamorphic?. Having just upgraded to a large screen lcd it really is noticeable when you have to zoom in on a dvd and thats without the sub problems.

As i said before its just not on to release non-widescreen friendly discs in this day and age. If Joy Sales can do it on there budget releases then anyone can!

JS stuff is fake anamorphic. I reckon MB didn't upconvert to anamorphic as that would have worsened the quality and really cheated people instead.

There is no denying that MB's contact service is terrible.

oldeschool17
Does this DVD really feature a New English dub & not the original ?

HKFlix says both English 5.1 & 1.0 are new dubs.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.545598/qx/details.htm

I hope thats not the case but hkflix does messup their listings sometimes. Case in point, if you look how they listed the siren visual version, it doesnt list the english dub on that version but it does have the dub on there(and im almost positive thats the original dub)