Bloodsport (1988)

GungFuFighter

GungFuFighter

This has to be one of the best martial arts flicks not only of the 80's, but of all time.

Basically Van Damme's big break to the US audiences. You get to see different fighting styles such as Kung Fu, Karate, Muay Thai, Sumo, ect. Which was pretty cool for the time. The 80's tunes and montages were awesome. And we get to see Van Damme doing what he does best.... kicks, kicks, and more kicks. (don't forget the splits either!)

This movie is special to me, cause it helped me get into martial arts, which also got me into Kickboxing and MMA competition. And plus is is a movie that I watched with my dad over and over when I was young.

• Like 1

oldeschool17

I wouldnt call it the best martial arts flick of all time but it definently has its endearing moments. Ive watched this movie so many times, its ridiculous. Tons of quotes you can pull from this movie.

i had the soundtrack on my mp3 player. KUMITE KUMITE KUMITE

I remember in an interview a couple years ago that Van Damme was teasing at the idea of doing his version of a sequel. However, he's been hinting at that for a long ass time so at this point i doubt it will happen.

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

It's cool as 80's cheese.... but it is pretty frickin' far from one of the best MA movies ever...! It wouldn't even be in my top 100, If I did one!

Alot of people (myself included) has fond memories of this movie! But be honest, the AC is not that great. It has nostalgic value, I'll give it that!

• Like 1

Too late for a sequel. The 80's charm is part of what makes this movie so enjoyable. It's like Karate Kid for adults.

• Like 1

Besides there are already three sequels, all with Daniel Bernhardt.

I would say it may one my top 100 AMERICAN martial arts movies, but not overall.

• Like 1

oldeschool17
Besides there are already three sequels, all with Daniel Bernhardt.

I would say it may one my top 100 AMERICAN martial arts movies, but not overall.

Those sequels dont count. :D

Van Damme was gonna do his take on it but change some stuff around. If he were to do release it he cant keep the Frank Dux or other related stuff name since there's some legal issues. Those 2 dont get along these days after their court battles

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Yeah ok. But I couldn't really make a top 100 American MA list... maybe a top 10, at best:D

Yeah ok. But I couldn't really make a top 100 American MA list... maybe a top 10, at best:D

Good point Tibetan.

One wonders what happened with KUMITE (that was the name of the film Van Damme was supposed to do as a true follow up to Bloodsport).

I did like the appearance of John Cheung and Bolo Yeung in BLOODSPORT. I did hear a story though that two of the actors were told they would get lead roles in the movie and got screwed over.

I read in an article last year that Paulo Tocha (who played the Muay Thai fighter Van Damme faced in the semi-finals) and Eric Neff (who played the monkey fighter) were approached and were going to get lead roles in the film. When they learned that wasn't the case, they were mad. Mind you, these guys were doing those cheesy Joseph Lai ninja movies at the time with Tocha also taking on Jet Li in BORN TO DEFENSE.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

I thought Bloodsport was great. Alot of fans of Asian style martial arts choreography/films don't like or accept the more realistic approach that alot of US martial arts films have but I like and appreciate it as it's something different and a nice alternative to the more dance like and rehearsed looking style of Asian films. Don't get me wrong I love Asian style choreography too and love to watch both but it's nice to watch a more realistic approach(while still retaining the flashiness and entertainment value as well) once in a while. That's not to say Asian/HK can't be realistic looking either as Flash Point(which I loved the fights) and fights like Jackie vs Benny Urquidez and Sammo's Kickboxing style films have and are some of the very best. Alot of people knock Van Damme as well but I thought he had the kicks, the physique and the charisma. It's a shame his personal problems took a toll on his career.

• Like 1

I don't think I have a top 100, not even a top 20, but it's in my top five Van Damme movies. Not in any order

Cyborg

Timecop-- my favorite of his movies

Bloodsport

Lionheart

Double Impact

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid

My favorites of his are:

Bloodsport

Hard Target

Universal Soldier

Lionheart

Double Impact

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid, haven't you seen Kickboxer? Really entertaining movie if you appreciated Bloodsport. Fights aren't as good, but the training sequences are great.

• Like 1

Monk Sante

Bloodsport was released at a time when Martial arts films were hard to come by on the big screen. Also, many american audiences didn't know who Jackie Chan or jet Li was. Bloodsport may not be top 10 material but this film did open up the doors for many other MA films. This was Van Damm at his best, and Bolo was awesome.

One of my favorite quotes: HA! You lose American azzhole! :D

• Like 1

gravedigger666

Bloodsport is good.So is double impact,kick boxer and some others.Soon after those jcvd made loooooooooooooooooong line of so-so and **** movies but in past few years he has again made some good ones.

If one is into american made tournament movies,he/she should really check out shootfighter.that pwns bloodsport so easily:D

• Like 1

ironfistedmonk

Watched this tons of times as a kid, it has a huge nostalgic value for me, back in the day I could have probably recited every line in the movie! Van Damme was one of the last 80's action heroes, and some of his stuff was really entertaining, Time Cop is probably his best all round film IMO, they dont make em like they used to :(

• Like 1

My favorite old school JCVD films are Bloodsport, Kickboxer, No Retreat No Surrender, and Double Impact. I think the fact he didn't really do MA in Nowhere to Run and Sudden Death was pretty bad...and this was at a time where this brand of action was kind of borderline on it way down. Think about it..Lethal Weapon 3 came out in 1992 and then Jackie Chan bursted onto the screen again his way in 1996. Sure there may have been some good action films in between this time frame, but none from JCVD.

• Like 1

Chinatown Kid
Chinatown Kid, haven't you seen Kickboxer? Really entertaining movie if you appreciated Bloodsport. Fights aren't as good, but the training sequences are great.

Oh yes I saw Kickboxer when it originally played theatrically

way back in 89 I believe. I enjoyed it alot too but liked Bloodsport better. I liked that scene in Kickboxer when a drunken Van Damme starts dancing with the women in the thai bar and pisses all the other dudes off in which he has to kick their ass when they attack him, that was hillarious. The training scenes were good and the finale where he fights Tong Po was memorable. :)

• Like 1

ROTFL!!!! I can't believe you did that HAHAHAHAHA!!!! What next? You gonna post that scene from Breakin' where he is dancing in the background???? Oops too late...:D

breakin.gif

And to think, Van Damme was the fight choreographer of Kickboxer with Michel Qissi (who played Tong Po) as the muay thai consultant.

• Like 1

oldeschool17

i think its in van damme's contract in the 80s and 90s to bust out the splits. He could be at a funeral and do a split will reading the eulogy

• Like 1