The Greatest Old Skool Kung Fu Movies Of ALL Time!

Guest Ninja Sinai

Black.Dragon

Top non S.B. or G.H. Films (because that's to easy)

Fatal Needles Fatal Fist

Shaolin Kung fu Mystouge

Green Jade Statuete

One Armed Swordsmen

Flaming Sword

The Deadly Silver Spear

Shaolin vs Lama

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1: Magnificent Butcher-incredible movie of my si-tai-gung Lam Sai Wing- love the 12 bridges training with that cool music and the mad fight with Cat Teacher

2: Odd Couple-Fatty and Lau Kar Wing TWICE + Beardy at his best-NUFF SAID

3: Choy Lay Fat Kung Fu-Cliff Lok vs Chan Siu Pang in the forest-PANIC!!! Ko Fei's rubbish wig and stunning moves. I owe this movie a lot!!

4: Showdown At Cotton Mill-Mr Pattern Chi Kuan Chun vs an ice-cold Flash Legs. Bootwork heaven vs pure Hung Gar. Indie perfection!!

5: Rebellious Reign-Jimmy Lee vs Bastard Swordsman-the opening shapes with the masked seniors....whoahh!!

6: Buddhist Fist-SICK SICK SHAPES-cant watch it often coz it makes everything look dull in comparison.

7: Super Power-Billy Chong pulling of his finest moves in fight after fight-the fight with Chaing Tao is pure class..RUFFHOUSE

8: Prodigal Son-Lam Ching Ying and Frankie Chan on the boat....BEST WING CHUN MOVIE...EVER!!!

9: Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin-non sellout Jackie at his intricate best. The 3 spearmen scene is the stuff of legend.

10: Tiger Over Wall-Ko Fei vs Silver Fox in a story about a lost dog??? Mindblowing shapes...and Double Pheonix in there too

9: Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin-non sellout Jackie at his intricate best. The 3 spearmen scene is the stuff of legend...

LMAOROTF!!!

Say it!! Say it!!!

:bigsmile:

gravedigger666

I recently watched dragon on fire 1st time and was damn impressed.Comedy scenes were so-so but fights extremely good, and awesome cast:bigsmile:

new here. looked through lots of lists to get some good recomendations cos i have a small old school kung fu collection thats ablut to explode.. lot of

magnificent butcha

hells windstaff

prodigal son

shoalin vs lama

seven grandmasters

which have now been bought based on the films i like peps have also gone on about..

invincible armour 20 quid!

drunken tai chi another 20 quid!

five venoms, cant find a region 2 or 0

warriors two

lots of popular ones i searched for and no luck..

heres a few i like i havnt seen posted here only pages (1-6) if i may mention as a newbie

duel of the ultimate weapons (don wan will kick you to death)

duel to the death (really liked, review said house of flyin daggers meets hero) success

eagle vs silver fox

the miracle fighters..

would it be a good idea to open a thread about personal recomendations based on the films i have and masters, badies, styles i like or is that selfish?or shuold i jus pm the person with the most films i have in common?

wongfeihung62

My top 10 in no particular order.

LEGEND OF A FIGHTER

THE VICTIM

WARRIORS TWO

PRODIGAL SON

DRUNKEN MASTER

SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

HAPKIDO

SNAKE IN THE MONKEY'S SHADOW

INVINCIBLE ARMOUR

These are in no particular order:

1-Police story

2-Drunken Master

3-Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow

4-Ninja in the Dragon’s Den

5-The Big Boss

6-Five Deadly Venoms

7-The Chinese Connection

8-Way of the Dragon

9-Enter the Dragon

10-Infernal Street

I now realize a top10 list his useless.. My logic behind this comment stems from the experience of the more I've seen, the more I've forgotten. To comprise a list and narrow it to 10 is difficult particularly if the list excedes a rational number. For example: if I am asked to select 10 from a list of 30, or even say 50, that's a managable task. 10 from a higher number isn't offering an option of fare consideration. Too many details will make that a tougher call.

Finally, I would say my selections could be be easier if I'm asked: out of all the Kung Of films I've seen, which 10 would I like to be able to view-unlimitedly, on a desert island?

Here they are in no particular order excluding any Shaw titles:

MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE

FIST OF FURY

HAPKIDO

LEGEND OF A FIGHTER

DRUNKEN MASTER

THE ODD COUPLE

THE BIG BOSS

SNAKE IN EAGLE'S SHADOW

ENTER THE DRAGON

WARRIOR' TWO

I could live with these being the only old school Fu Films in my library.

(I'm certainly glad that's not the case!!)

Just off the top of my head, I'll probably forget a real obvious one but anyway...

Here's 10 of my favs in no order and excluding Shaw Bros:

Prodigal Son

Invincible Armour

Master of The Flying Guillotine

Magnificent Butcher

Seven Grandmasters

Snake In The Eagles Shadow

Fist Of Fury

Hapkido

Warriors Two

Hells Windstaff

Just off the top of my head, I'll probably forget a real obvious one but anyway...

Here's 10 of my favs in no order and excluding Shaw Bros:

Prodigal Son

Invincible Armour

Master of The Flying Guillotine

Magnificent Butcher

Seven Grandmasters

Fist Of Fury

Hapkido

Warriors Two

Hells Windstaff

Similar tastes, I see. It's really tough, isn't it?

Omni Dragon

My list in alphabetical excluding SB, GH & Bashers not sure but it's something like this:

FEARLESS HYENA

INVINCIBLE ARMOUR

MONKEY FIST FLOATING SNAKE

NINJA IN THE DRAGON'S DEN

ODD COUPLE

SECRET RIVALS

SHAOLIN VS LAMA

SHAOLIN VS WU TANG

SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTONMILL

THE VICTIM

Everyone raves about SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL I've seen only the Rarescope version, and found it unwatchable. :squigglemouth: Is there another version where I may be able to see what everyone else seems able to enjoy?

Everyone raves about SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL I've seen only the Rarescope version, and found it unwatchable. :squigglemouth: Is there another version where I may be able to see what everyone else seems able to enjoy?

You are not the only one that thinks this Dragon. I also didn't enjoy it much, but I think it was because of the bad condition of the print more than anything. I mean there was good stuff in the movie...but I don't think it's a top ten right now. Opinion may change with a better version.

I have a bootleg copy of it and the quality is fine but I also agree that the movie itself isn't that great, definitely not a top 10 for me. If I recall though there are some good fight scenes though which make it worth watching.

You are not the only one that thinks this Dragon. I also didn't enjoy it much, but I think it was because of the bad condition of the print more than anything. I mean there was good stuff in the movie...but I don't think it's a top ten right now. Opinion may change with a better version.

I guess... I can't enjoy a film at all if I cannot read the subs or follow the story. I'll never get to these so-called classic fight scenes because I've turned the crap off!

A few that come to mind that are like that:

SHOWDOWN AT THE COTTON MILL

THE SHAOLIN BOXERS (GH) VCD

THE YOUNG DRAGONS (GH) VCD

CUB TIGER FROM KWANGTUNG

Agreed that the rarescope version is mighty tough on the eyeballs, but that seems to be the only print available (wasn't this considered a lost film for some time?). Still able to enjoy it and consider it one of the better (maybe one of the best) independent kung fu movies but yep, this could REALLY use a remastering.

Drunken Arts

Hey all, im gonna throw out my top 10, probly havnt seen as much as you guys but here it goes [No order]

1. Magnificent Butcher

2. 7 Steps Of Kung Fu

3. Prodigal Son

4. Iron Monkey [' 77]

5. Shaolin Vs Lama

6. Drunken Master

7. Drunken Master 2: Dance Of Drunk Mantis

8. Blood Treasury Fight

9. Daggers 8

10. Odd Couple [but Mr. Rocking sucks]

Edit: Iv now seen The Invincible Armour, and that was awesome, loved every second of it, probly knock Odd Couple out of my top 10 :)

Honorable Mentions: Warriors Two, Shaolin & Wutang and Snake In The Eagles Shadow.

1. The Prodigal Son

2. Warriors Two

3. My young Auntie

4. Invincible Armour

5. The Odd Couple

6. Invincible Shaolin

7. The Thundering mantis

8. The Young master

9. The 36th Chamber of shaolin

10. Eight diagram pole fighter

Other great old skool kung fu movies: Encounters of the spooky kind, Blood brothers, Shaolin martial arts, Men from the monestary, Kid with the golden arm, Crippled avengers, new one armed swordsman, knockabout, drunken master, snake and crane arts of shaolin, the hot the cool and the vicious, death duel of kung fu, death duel of mantis, shaolin vs wu-tang, shaolin ex-monk, incredible kung fu mission, shaolin vs lama, the victim, miracle fighters, dreadnaught, last herrah to chivalry, dirty tiger crazy frog, secret rivals, secret rivals 2, eagles claw, born invincible, the magnificent butcher, boxer from shantung, kung fu zombie, the rebellious reign, Legendary weapons of china, dirty ho, martial club, legend of a fighter.

The lack of shaw brothers movies mentioned in this thread kinda saddens me. They produced so many classics.:tinysmile_angry2_t:

I believe the lack of SB films is due to the section this thread is listed under (Classic Martial Arts Cinema 1920-1985) as opposed to the Shaw Brothers section. The Which 50 Shaw Bros. Flicks Tops Them All?! thread is where you will find the SB classics.

Born Invincible

7 Grandmasters

Drunken Master

Knockabout

The Magnificent Butcher

Invincible Armour

Mr. Vampire

The Buddhist Fist

Shaolin Temple (82)

Snake in the Monkey's Shadow

Dance of the Drunken Mantis

The Prodigal Son

Fist of Fury

Master of the Flying Guillotine

1. The Invincible Armour

2. The Odd couple

3. The Buddhist Fist

4. The Victim

5. Legend of a fighter

6. Secret Rivals

7. The Thundering mantis

8. Shaolin and Wu Tang

9. Snake and Crane arts of Shaolin

10. Shaolin Vs Lama

Drunken master, dance of the drunk mantis, drunken tai chi, dirty tiger crazy frog, ninja in the dragons den are all great but did not reach me top ten.

Whats your? Please post below...

Archived