The Greatest Old Skool Kung Fu Movies Of ALL Time!

Guest Ninja Sinai

shaws:

Dirty Ho

Heroes of the East

36th Chamber of Shaolin

Five Venoms

Kid with Golden Arms

Shaolin Mantis

sidenote : i think 8 diagram pole fighter is quite overrated.

non shaws:

Knockabout

Drunken Tai Chi

Magnificent Butcher

Secret Rivals 2

Warriors Two

Mystery of Chessboxing

7 Grandmasters

Iron Monkey

Prodigal Son

Master of the Flying Guillotine

Drunken Master

Dance of Drunk Mantis

side note: i think shaolin vs lama is an good film, but i dont think it deserves a "greatest of all time" spot.

special mention go to:

South Shaolin Master...choreography of Brandy Yuen, with some of the best oldskool cinematography ive ever seen. probably the best mainland chinese film ive ever seen.

Na my friend definite (fail) on this one! Shaolin vs Llama definately belongs in the greatest of all time top Ten. Choreography and action is some of the best seen on camera ever. 8 Diagram Pole Fighter is Gordon Liu second best movie of his career. You are definately a minority with that comment.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, but Mystery of Chess Boxing is nothing but a cheap "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" rip-off. Lee Yi-Min is a dumb-faced retard ;) .

And Shaolin vs. Lama, although it has some good fights, isn't that great. I mean the budget (costumes) is terrible, the leads suck and the direction weak.

Buddha bless SB!!! :D

You must have been drunk when you posted this comment so I will excuse your foolishness. Shaolin vs Llama is one of the best kung fu movies of all time period!!!!!!! This is agreed upon by most of the serious collectors on THE PLANET! That goes for mystery of Chess Boxing as well.The choreography and action in both movies are insane and some of the best captured on film. I question your movie rating ability. Are you a serious collector?

Shaolin vs Llama is one of the best kung fu movies of all time period!!!!!!! This is agreed upon by most of the serious collectors on THE PLANET!

Personal taste...I like Shaolin Vs Lama also but would not include it into top10 independent studio movies.Maybe not even top20:bigsmile:

Na bro, some of the movies you listed sucked or was very avg. The Evil cult, The Sonny Chiba movie, sleeping fist not that great, Drunken Master only the last 35 minutes, 18 Bronzemen not that great.

You couldn't name 20 independent movies better than Shaolin vs Llama. Like I said you would definately be in a minority. I have lived in three large states across the nation and have found this movie mentioned in top 20 in all circles of serious collectors. Some of the movies people are mentioning can't hold a candle to Shaolin vs Llama. Some of the movies mentioned are garbage or average at best.

Arguing like this is useless.Even if you gather million people swearing Shaolin Vs Lama is best movie ever made it still does not change my opinion no way can make it into my indie top10.

And if I would have seen more independets I doubt it would be even in top20.

Like I think Harry Potters are useless trash for millions they are pure masterpieces.Can`t argue with that.

Arguing like this is useless.Even if you gather million people swearing Shaolin Vs Lama is best movie ever made it still does not change my opinion no way can make it into my indie top10.

And if I would have seen more independets I doubt it would be even in top20.

Like I think Harry Potters are useless trash for millions they are pure masterpieces.Can`t argue with that.

Yes I agree we all have opinions In my opinion it is still one of the best choreographed and action kung fu movies ever. I didn't say it was the best but It's in my top ten. To kill a master mind is the best ever period in my opinion. I have some of the best, hard to find and rarest kung fu movies ever made. I have been watching since 1972. I feel you though.

But i LOVE Prodigal Son! loved it! I also love Legend of Drunken Master, The Magnificent Butcher, Fearless (not an old classic), 36th chamber of Shaolin, and Martial Club.

This is a pretty cool site too. found it through www.kungfu-movie-madness.com I like the flkcinema.com forum too.

I'm learning a lot being new to kung fu movies and really enjoying them. :wink:

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum, and I'm glad to be here, let me tell ya!

There's been quite a few New Wave films listed in this thread; if we're keeping it to strictly pre-1985, then here's my list:

NON-SHAWS:

ODD COUPLE

KNOCKABOUT

MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER

THE VICTIM

THE PRODIGAL SON

THE IRON-FISTED MONK

WARRIORS TWO

DRUNKEN MASTER

SHAWS:

FIVE ELEMENT NINJAS (man, is this ever an amazing film!)

THE 36th CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN

DIRTY HO

CRIPPLED AVENGERS

INVINCIBLE SHAOLIN

FLAG OF IRON

THE SUPER INFRAMAN (hey, it's Kung-Fu enough to make my list!)

And can ya believe it, I haven't seen 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTER yet...blasphemy, I know. Haven't seen lots of other Shaws either. But I'm trying to remedy that situation!

seriously, I agree with most of the all time greats listed here but not to include 36th Chamber of Shaolin is despicable!

Unless, somehow i missed it listed.

This was the first time we got a filmatic look behind Shaolin training doors! and Gordon Liu completely shaved his head! even though we are familiar with him that way, this was the first movie for a lead actor to do that. This is such a classic film that I include it in my top 10 kung movies of all time.

:nerd: also, i found this cool new kung fu fan site where if you are interested you can actually create your own web page on your favorite kung fu movie or kung fu legend. Check it out www.kungfu-movie-madness.com

it's still new and i feel like i'm the only visiting regularly, and would love to see more of you guys there!

thanks

seriously, I agree with most of the all time greats listed here but not to include 36th Chamber of Shaolin is despicable!

Unless, somehow i missed it listed.

I think you must have missed it, because I listed it in my post right above yours. :-)

It's also listed by at least seven other posters on this thread (I stopped counting after that). Excellent film.

10-Fist like Lee ( along came a tiger )

9-Ten tigers of Kwang-tung

8-Tiger over wall

7-Prodigal son

6-Warriors two

5-Dragon on fire

4-Snake fist vs the Dragon

3-Sammo the Victim

2-five deadly venoms

1-death duel of kung-fu

My first post on this forum, i have been looking at it for a long time a decided to joint up, i think it is great! :wink:

I wont post the films that i have seen already posted, but two i would personally class as classic that i haven't seen on the list:

Boxer from Shantung

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

I would also put The Kung Fu Emperor as classic starring Tao-liang Tan aka flash legs, but i dont expect anyone to agree with me - it was one of the first kung fu flicks i ever watched and to this day i love it!

My first post on this forum, i have been looking at it for a long time a decided to joint up, i think it is great! :wink:

I wont post the films that i have seen already posted, but two i would personally class as classic that i haven't seen on the list:

Boxer from Shantung

Opium and the Kung Fu Master

I would also put as classic The Kung Fu Emperor starring Tao-liang Tan aka flash legs, but i dont expect anyone to agree with me - it was one of the first kung fu flicks i ever watched and to this day i love it!

I like The Kung Fu Emperor & Tao-liang Tan is awesome so I agree with you . Don't see why it could not be considered a classic !!

Athena

Fist of legend

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

7 grand masters

Return of the Street Fighter 2

Born Invincible

THE 36th Chambers of Shaolin

Return to the 36 Chambers of Shaolin

Once Upon a Time in China 2

Legend of drunken master 2

Dirty Ho

Shaloin vs Ninja

Fok Sai Yuk series

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Iron Monkey

Wing Chun

Shaolin Executioner

Enter The Dragon

Chinese Connection

The Four Assassins

Instructors of Death

Legendary Weapons Of Kung Fu

Lantern Jaw

Hi all, my first proper post here goes:

There are so many greats but two names pop into my head whenever this question is raised....

The Prodigal Son

Dirty Ho

Hey there, I'm new on the forum so I don't know if this is the proper place to post this (feel free to move the post, administrators), but I compiled a personal top 50 of my favourite classic (or semi-classic in some cases) Kung Fu-movies on ranker.com. Interesting to hear your thoughts about it :) I urge you all to make the same, would be fun to see how other die-hard martial arts fans rank these classics. Hope you like it! The list is preliminary, since I could easily have placed some movies in the wrong order or completely missed a few gems, so updates will be made.

Cheers,

Apanblod

the list:

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-50-classic-kung-fu-movies-of-all-time/apanblod

Welcome to the boards, nice first post compared to those damn bots :tongue:

It's a kool list, lot of shaw brothers and golden harvest titles. I'm sure theres guys on here who would probably have lists with lot of non-show or GH titles as well

Thanks a lot! :) And, yeah I agree, it's a very SB and GH-heavy list so far, but still, I honestly haven't seen that many movies apart from these that can compete with these studios' masterpieces. I've probably missed out on a lot of movies though, any suggestions as to what to watch to broaden the list a bit?

Hey there, I'm new on the forum so I don't know if this is the proper place to post this (feel free to move the post, administrators), but I compiled a personal top 50 of my favourite classic (or semi-classic in some cases) Kung Fu-movies on ranker.com. Interesting to hear your thoughts about it :) I urge you all to make the same, would be fun to see how other die-hard martial arts fans rank these classics. Hope you like it! The list is preliminary, since I could easily have placed some movies in the wrong order or completely missed a few gems, so updates will be made.

Cheers,

Apanblod

the list:

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-50-classic-kung-fu-movies-of-all-time/apanblod

I agree with #1 on your list

TheFlyingPanda

There are so many greats, but off the top of my head the best non SB I can think of are...

Legend of a Fighter

Fist of Fury

Way of The Dragon

Drunken Master

The Magnificent Butcher

Shaolin vs Lama

And 7 Grand Masters!

I know I have more, but this is what pops up first.

Although I probably chose different films last time I answered this question here's my favourites (it's too subjective to say they're the best).

Shapes -

Shaolin Temple Against Lama

Ninja Hunter

Rebellious Reign

Victim

Woman Avenger

Mystery of Chessboxing

Ninja in the Dragons Den

Seven Grandmasters

Shaolin Temple

Warriors 2

Swordplay -

Sword of Justice

Veiling of the Hidden Sword

Flute Player of Wrath

Last Hurrah for Chivalry

The Sword (Adam Cheng)

Sword and the Windbell

Duel to the Death

Bloody Mission

Strife For Mastery

My Blade My Life

1. Kung fu Commandos

2. Legend of a Fighter

3. The Prodigal Son

4. Knockabout

5. The Big Rascal

6. The Secret Rivals

7. Spiritual Kung fu

Tops? Seven of my favorites, YES!

Morgoth Bauglir

Some of my favs

The Young Master

Shaolin Temple Strikes Back

Seven Steps of Kung Fu

Five Fighters From Shaolin

Little Superman

The Big Showdown

Brave Girl Boxer in Shanghai

Tiger Over Wall

Death Duel of Kung Fu

Challenge of Death

Sleeping Fist

Shaolin Traitor

Leg Fighters

duel to the death

prodigal son

shaolin king boxer

return of the deadly blade

7 grand masters

rebellious reign

snake crane secret

these are just off the top of my head left out the obvious ones like drunken master,shaolin temple,warriors two,snake in the eagle's shadow, way of the dragon etc. But nothing really compares to a classic Shaw Brothers flick.

Archived