Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

AlbertV

According to Dark Horizons today..."and then there were three".

Three are shortlisted for the role of Steve Rogers/Captain America:

Chris Evans as mentioned this weekend, even though it was revealed he did not screen-test.

Channing Tatum

Sebastian Stan ("Gossip Girl", The Covenant)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as that could work, Valley is already in his 40's and they need a younger actor as this is an origin story set in World War II.

Chris Evans has accepted Marvel's offer and will be playing Steve Rogers/Captain America.

Story: Dark Horizons

So officially signed as of now are Chris Evans as Cap and Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull.

Shooting begins in June in London.

Chris Evans was a "fantastic" choice .. as Johnny Storm.

As for Cap? Not so sure.

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong but they should have went with a --

semi-unknown who was more physically suited for this role.

Emily Blunt has withdrawn her name for the lead female role of Peggy Carter, Steve Rogers' girlfriend in the film. Apparently, the two top frontrunners for the role are Keira Knightley and Alice Eve (who stars in She's Out of Your League)

I don't know about Chris Evans (who may or may not work as the young Cap) but Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull???

AWESOME

Alice Eve is now the frontrunner for the role of Cap's girlfriend, Peggy Carter. I heard that the Weaving-Red Skull news is still currently in negotiations...nothing offical was said as of yet, but he would make the perfect Johann Schmidt IMO.

Update: British actress Hayley Atwell has been confirmed by Marvel to play the role of Peggy Carter to Chris Evans' Captain America in the film. Atwell was last seen on the AMC mini-series reboot of The Prisoner.

Hayley-Atwell-Captain-America-The-First-Avenger_article_story_main.jpg

Full story at Marvel: http://marvel.com/news/all.12060.captain_america_movie~colon~_peggy_carter_cast

Shooting on the film is set to begin June 28 in London.

Chris Evans admits he has had a bit of tension to play Steve Rogers/Captain America, but I'm sure he will pull through. He admits the role will be challenging. Can't blame the guy because he will have to play Steve as a skinny weakling type then bulk back up to become Captain America.

The film will also feature Nick Fury's Howling Commandos squadron will appear in the film.

The movie has gone through a reverse title change as well. The movie is now being called

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER

Here's what Cap is going to look like in the movie

capam1.jpg

capam2.jpg

capam3.jpg

capam4.jpg

Has that WWII look combined with a lil updated look....not too bad IMO

Here's what Cap is going to look like in the movie

Has that WWII look combined with a lil updated look....not too bad IMO

As silly as they may look, I'm almost going to miss them little wings on his head...

Fang Shih-yu

I wonder if the new movie will make Matt Salinger become a recluse?:tongue: That Captain America never made it to theaters in the U.S. (I do recall a "coming soon" poster in a lobby a while before its proposed premiere, which I cannot recall), so those of us who wanted to see it regardless were lucky to catch it on cable and VHS eventually! Salinger was pretty good; the plastic ears on his costume weren't! (I still wonder how Bill Mumy got cast in that!) That movie did improve over the Reb Brown TV movies easily, but it wasn't by much!:yociexp37:

I wonder if the new movie will make Matt Salinger become a recluse?:tongue: That Captain America never made it to theaters in the U.S. (I do recall a "coming soon" poster in a lobby a while before its proposed premiere, which I cannot recall), so those of us who wanted to see it regardless were lucky to catch it on cable and VHS eventually! Salinger was pretty good; the plastic ears on his costume weren't! (I still wonder how Bill Mumy got cast in that!) That movie did improve over the Reb Brown TV movies easily, but it wasn't by much!:yociexp37:

I heard Albert Pyun, the director of the 1990 CAPTAIN AMERICA, had a longer cut of the film and it was good ol' Menahem Golan who edited the hell out of it for its release, which went straight to video in 1992.

I am so curious as to how this one will come out. With a cast like this, could be box office gold.

Marvel officially announced that Dominic Cooper (MAMMA MIA) will play Howard Stark (yes, Tony Stark's father) in CAPTAIN AMERICA.

Fang Shih-yu
I heard Albert Pyun, the director of the 1990 CAPTAIN AMERICA, had a longer cut of the film and it was good ol' Menahem Golan who edited the hell out of it for its release, which went straight to video in 1992.
Ohh, how Golan's interference doesn't surprise me!:rolleyes: However, I feel the "director's cut" of 1990's CA would improve upon it as much as putting back in the 45 minutes (approximate) of cut footage to Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (another film with Golan's "magic touch" on it), which would be not too much! I liked that CA, but I love Superman IV! It had the type of story that could've worked for George Reeves (even Kirk Alyn) better than it ever did for Christopher Reeve...and his hairpiece!:tongue: If Mariel Hemingway didn't wear those clothes with the ridiculous shoulder pads, she would've come off even more sexier than she did!:kiss: And DON'T get me started on Mark Pillow!!:khi1h:

MTV News talked with Chris Evans, who discussed the outfit used for the film:

"There's a couple stages [of the suit]. Initially in the script, Steve [Rogers] isn't Captain America right away. He gets the injection and isn't asked to go to war right off the bat, he's used in different areas and different facets. So he has a couple different stages of the suit. I don't think he jumps in the final suit until the third act of the film" says Evans.

Evans added that the shield as well will be upgraded through the film - "During the USO tour, there's obviously a different shield. He goes on a couple missions, goes AWOL, and takes the USO shield. Once he's allowed to be this soldier and they outfit him with a new uniform, they decide to outfit him with an updated shield."

Here is a blurry shot of one of the first stages of the costume, taken from Comic-Con

eh_cap-570x405-300x213.jpg

My understanding from another forum is those are actually supposed to be HYDRA goons. So I assume that Red Skull is heading up the HYDRA crime organization or that it has a Nazi affiliation.

Thanks for the info. You're throwing up some good pics. Keep me clued.

Chris Evans on location as Steve Rogers. This takes place right after he receives the Super Soldier Serum

INFphoto_1439210.jpg

INFphoto_1439354.jpg

Yes, he's wearing prostethic feet LOL

They're actually filming this in Manchester's northern quarter right now. Why send an american cast and crew all the way to the UK to make a film set in America is a bit odd.

Archived