WFT Rarescope?

TibetanWhiteCrane

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
oldeschool17

can anybody give their opinions on the actual movies in this set? I checked on hkflix and it seemed most were duds save for showdown @ cottonmill, face in the mask, and dream sword

I'm only missing the later two releases of that set. Funny thing being, it would be cheaper just to buy the box.

NoNiceTime

I just saw that Brentwood is releasing a 10 movie box set called Flicks with Kicks for 12.95(on hkflix). What pisses me of its all previously released rarescope films that I(and Im sure all of others) paid full price for.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.546390/qx/details.htm

Maybe the films in this set wont have the normal special features of the single releases.

NoNiceTime

oops. Didnt see that one.

Seems like everyone is positive over this release but I'm kinda pissed over it from a money standpoint. Maybe I won't be two quick to purchase the next Rarescope release next time.

ps- I tried to delete this topic because it's a dupe, do I not have the authority?

oldeschool17

thats just the nature of the dvd business. Just like regular mainstream releases that initially come out that i generally never get cause i know sometime down the line they will release an ultimate deluxe fantastical definitive edition(for example the lord of the rings box set). However, in rarescope's case, i dont know if its to cut their losses by releasing a boxed set cause i could have sworn i read somewhere that they were not selling that well individually.

At 6 bucks a disk it's hard to complain, now if I was paying 15-20 beans a dvd it would be a different story.

NoNiceTime
At 6 bucks a disk it's hard to complain, now if I was paying 15-20 beans a dvd it would be a different story.

True but maybe some people spent more than that.But even if you did get them for 6 bucks a DVD plue shipping and taxes you probaly spent close to $80 for something that could've cost you around $15 now. I guess if they are hurting I can't blame them.

venom10463

Well, thats the price early adopters pay. I've especially learned from my pass experiences. Now, I just wait for them to release a box set.

I'm still waiting on a box set for Rica and Poisonous Seduction Trilogy

shaolin drunkard

Is Shaolin vs Ninja cut?In the end when shaolin fighter hands to ninja sword assuming he commits suicide 2 monks walk away it will no be shown what happens...

Dream Sword(has costumes and sets almost as good as in many shaws) and a sword named revenge are enjoyable movies,good fighting and lots of them although plot will nots lose control in few moments.5 movies still unwatched but this was very good value for money purchase.

thedirtytiger

Join the club mate, so many of us paid so much money for things like I paid US$40 + for the Korean video of Disciples Of Shaolin then those bastards Celestrial released a far superior dvd for half the price. That's the way it goes sometimes.....;) Still I am glad they did.

yea those are the ones which stood out when i looked down the list of films included...wat about the rest? they any decent?

also are they in cantonese/mandarin with english subtitles? or just english dubbed

From The first "Flicks With Kicks" set, I liked Ninjas & Dragons. The Lost Swordship, Face Behind The Mask, and Shaolin vs. Tai Chi. The Lost Swordship is a sworplay film with Tien Peng. If you've seen other Tien Peng swordplay films & like 'em, then this will be up your alley. Face Behind the Mask has the lovely Hsu Feng in it. I want to say that Lo Lieh is in it too. The Dream Sword is part of the set. It looks like a cool film, but I've held off watching it because I remember reading that greenfan would be putting out a nicer print of it. 4 of the films are dubbed: Chinese Godfather, Shaolin Vs. Ninja, Sword Named Revenge & Duel Of Karate. I don't like dubbed films but bought the box rather than buy Face Behind the Mask separately for the same price. I miss rarescope. Its too bad they didn't get more support. Even before the box set, their films were really cheap. They had some other films they were going to put out that looked good & now who knows when we will ever see them. Its too bad.

shaolin drunkard

Chinese godfather and duel of karate I did not make to the end,they are pretty bad IMO.Face behind the mask is prolly best of the pack some others are very good too.I am likely losing my sight because at times had hard time reading subtitles in Showdown At Cotton MIll(that movie is fantastic also).

I enjoyed Ninjas and Dragons and Showdown at the Cotton Mill. I liked the Yukio Someno interview on N&D revealing that they wanted Hiroyuki Sanada originally but they ended up getting Junya Takagi from Chiba's JAC instead. In one scene, Takagi actually looked like Sanada from an angle when he shows his "ninja claw" weapon. He had that Sanada-esque look of intensity.

As for SATCM, I've always liked Chi Kuan-Chun and Delon Tan and this was one of their best films IMO. Loved the finale, especially Tan's use of his legs. As much as his kicking is always great to see, the finale here showcases some of his best legwork IMO. Loved the interviews with Chi Kuan-Chun and co-star Ching Kuo-Chung plus the demos from Chi and the 1975 taekwondo exhibition with Tan and student Kam Kong.

Anyone know when the second volume is coming out. The Home Video section says it should be out but it seems to be backordered everywhere.

It looks like it's release is up in the air.

Anyways, I bought a Best Buy exclusive Rarescope and Kung Fu Theater 20 movie collection.

The movies are:

Kung Fu Theater

Ninja Thunderbolt

Invincible Hero (aka Mean Streets of Kung Fu?)

Attack of the Venoms (aka Attack of the Joyful Goddess)

Men on the Hour (aka Men of the Hour, Masters of the Iron Arena)

Land of the Brave

Great General

Chinese Dragon

Everlasting Duel (aka Faster Sword, Poisonous Darts?)

Chinese Hercules

Mantis Fists and Tiger Claws of Shaolin

Rarescope

Kings of Fists and Dollars

A Sword Named Revenge

The Dream Sword

The Chinese Godfather

Duel of Karate

Amazons and Supermen (the bizarre Italian movie?)

Hero of the Time

Big Rascal

18 Shaolin Riders (aka 18 Swirling Riders)

Fast Fists (aka The Fastest Fists)

I wonder what else Best Buy has exclusive distribution rights to. It is pretty interesting that the retailer pays a lot of attention to kung fu movies in the first place.

Archived