Corpse Mania

clayk

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Cool. I think Winfred was high on either this or Seeding of a Ghost. Or maybe both. Who else has seen them?

Hi Morgoth

You are right. I am high on all horror movies by Shaw Brothers. Looks like I will have to repurchase them all over again as Corpse Mania was a VCD-only release in Hong Kong. It's nice and atmospheric.

I have not received Image's "The Magic Blade" from Amazon yet so I have to ask : are Image's DVDs anamorphic and double-layered?

Hi Morgoth

You are right. I am high on all horror movies by Shaw Brothers. Looks like I will have to repurchase them all over again as Corpse Mania was a VCD-only release in Hong Kong. It's nice and atmospheric.

I have not received Image's "The Magic Blade" from Amazon yet so I have to ask : are Image's DVDs anamorphic and double-layered?

Double layered, yes. But I think that has to do with the number of trailers on a disc. As for anamorphic, I can't remember, but I want to say no.

venom10463
Double layered, yes. But I think that has to do with the number of trailers on a disc. As for anamorphic, I can't remember, but I want to say no.

Yes, image's discs are anamorphic widescreen.

Looks interesting, same director as Boxer's Omen, this isn't the prequel to Boxers Omen is it?

Hi Tosh

Bewitched is the prequel to Boxers Omen, not Corpse Mania. But this one is worth picking up.

peringaten

Not feeling this one. Didn't do much for me at all. Will revisit one day to see if my opinion changes, but wasn't digging all the shots running about staircases and such trying to create atmosphere. Ending was way too scooby doo for my tastes (albeit 'sick' scooby). Bar a couple of ok moments, good shot involving a car and a 'gloved' moment, thought it veeerry lame when I watched it after first vcd release. Will revisit to see if my mind changes... But, definitely won't be upgrading this one. On thread route - Bewitched is great, much better film, imo, hunt that down! Wish Image, or someone, would do Black Magic 2.

Wish Image, or someone, would do Black Magic 2.

I thought Black Magic 2 was on Media Blaster's initial list they would release.

venomchamber

MEDIA BLASTERS will be releasing BLACK MAGIC PART 2 under their TOKYO SHOCK imprint, and I am trying to convince them to also release a variant SHRIEK SHOW imprint "REVENGE OF THE ZOMBIES" cover as well!

I was curious if others have purchased it, and what they thought of the release.

I have yet to see the movie as of yet...

"This title is worth releasing too - Revenge of the Corpse."

Too bad nobody has it. Ive been looking for this for a long time.

there is a bootleg of REVENGE OF THE CORPSE out there. Awful quality, though. The one I saw the picture was very jumpy in addition to the washed out colors.

SlothStyleKungFu

I liked Corpse Mania. Yeah, its not great by any means ( no where near the best Shaw horrors or b-grade grinders), but it has just enough exploitative drive and horror creeps to make it worth a watch.

And, of course, badass that Image gave us a DVD of a formerly vcd-only HK Shaw.

masterofoneinchpunch

Quick write up on what I thought of the film:

Corpse Mania (**/****: 1981: Hong Kong): For a slow, shlocky horror film on necrophilia the direction is quite beautifully done (takes a bit too much from Halloween in its musical cues and direction though). Fans of The Boxer Omen (also directed by Gwai Chi-Hung) might be a little dissapointed because this is mostly a who-done-it than an outright explotation fest though there is plenty of maggots in a few scenes. The outcome unfortunately is not that interesting and is somewhat obvious on what happened. Li Zhengyuan is a brothel visitor who bought the freedom of a prostitute that was dear to him. She had TB and was not set to live long. He loved her well past her death and was sent to a mental facility for awhile because of this. When he got out a series of necrophilia murders started happening -- all to the workers of the particular brother where he visited. Could he be the murder suspect?

This is the latest release from Image/Celestial (R1) and works decent for this time of the year. Fans of Shaw Brothers have to note this is not a martial arts film (there is one fight scene, but not really a martial arts fight; though fans of Black Magic/Oily Maniac will know of Shaws explotation films), it is a cop/serial killer flick that predates much of the much more violent like The Untold Story.

Now where is the trailer for this film?

Archived