From the Ring to the Screen

AlbertV

Here's an interesting question...who would you consider some of modern day favorite martial arts film stars who have started as kickboxing/full contact karate champions.

Here's my list:

Billy Chau/Chow (FIST OF LEGEND, PEDICAB DRIVER)

Don "The Dragon" Wilson (RING OF FIRE, BLOODFIST)

Gary "Danger Man" Daniels (RING OF FIRE, RAGE, FIST OF THE NORTH STAR)

Ian "The Jackal" Jacklin (KICKBOXER 3, DEATH MATCH)

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace (NINJA TURF)

Benny "The Jet" Urquidez (BLOODMATCH)

Peter "Sugarfoot" Cunningham (NO RETREAT NO SURRENDER, ABOVE THE LAW)

Dale "Apollo" Cook (DEADEND OF BESIEGERS)

Bridgett "Baby Doll" Riley (TRIPLE IMPACT)

Valerie Henin (she fought Jet Li in DANNY THE DOG/UNLEASHED alongside Scott Adkins and the villain from Samourais)

Lucia Rijker (ROLLERBALL)

Jerry "Golden Boy" Trimble (THE MASTER, KING OF THE KICKBOXERS, LIVE BY THE FIST)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingofkungfu2002

Kathy Long (what happened to her?)

Olivier Gruner

I also remember Dennis "The Terminator" Alexio. He played Van Damme's brother in Kickboxer and he was in Picasso Trigger, one of those really cheesy Andy Sidaris action films that starred Playboy playmates.

There was also Patrick "Outlaw" Buckley, who had a brief appearance in BLOODMATCH, joining Vince Klyn, Peter Cunningham, and Hector Pena in a fight against Thunder Wolf.

I think Kathy Long is now teaching kickboxing or something.

One of the kickboxers I mentioned in the first post, I always wondered what had happened to him. That is Ian Jacklin. He is perhaps best known on screen for playing Sasha Mitchell's opponent in the ring in KICKBOXER 3: THE ART OF WAR.

He played bad guys in the aforementioned KICKBOXER 3 and RING OF FIRE 2. He did play some good guy roles in EXPERT WEAPON and DEATH MATCH.

Last movie I saw him in was a softcore comedy called BIKINI TRAFFIC SCHOOL.

I learned that he is now a documentary filmmaker. His latest film is a documentary on technological vs. alternative cancer medicine.

He does have an official website: http://www.ianjacklin.com

I also forgot to mention one of the original American kickboxers, Joe Lewis. JAGUAR LIVES, FORCE: FIVE, DEATH CAGE, MR. X

Archived