Cheesy American Martial Arts Films

AlbertV

kingofkungfu2002
Oh yeah.....Bolo made one helluva ugly woman!! :D

'Enter The Drag-Queen' :D

that movie showdown was straight up cheese and morgoth don't worry i'm gonna send you a copy of black eagle for christmas :)

Talking about 80's cheese.... THE LAST DRAGON has em' all beat! Sho nuff' the ghetto samurai.... holy balls, who wrote this...??!!

But it is funny as hell though!

I loved that movie growing up, still do, I watched it last night on TV One. I learned how to ask the ladies to teach me some moves.

But I always found Best of the Best 3 complete cheese.

Morgoth Bauglir

I agree. The story was horrible, and were we actually supposed to believe that the Nazi guy was a good opponent for Phillip Rhee? The only thing I remember liking about BOB 3 was seeing Phillip rhee kick people's ass while wearing a clown costume.

I laughed pretty much through the entire movie, i've not seen the fourth one though. I liked the first two, second more than the first, but they really jumped over board with the third.

Morgoth Bauglir

I don't think most people like part 4, but I liked it. I remember it was intense at times, and also pretty violent. I don't remember the fights being good, but I thought it was an above average movie.

that movie showdown was straight up cheese and morgoth don't worry i'm gonna send you a copy of black eagle for christmas :)

lol, I just noticed your post. Good one.

haha morgoth, but i liked part 4 also i bought the whole collection on 2 disks for like $10... i'm still sad because perfect weapon hasn't gotten a good release.. haha have you seen G2 mortal conquest? cheese

I thought BOB4 was the worst of the series. To me, Rhee didn't have any good competition in it. I did like the clown fight sequence in BOB 3.."I'm Homey, the Killer Clown". Just that line alone made me laugh.

I got another...The Substitute sequels. Simon Rhee (Philip's big bro) was stunt coordinator on all the sequels and appeared in the final one, Failure is Not an Option, as the only good opponent for Treat Williams (who I believe was a student of Rhee's for the films). The sequels kind of reminded me of something you would see on Walker: Texas Ranger.

Chinatown Kid

Yeah ole Gymkata might have been the cheesiest of them all. "The skill of Gymnastics combined with the kill of Karate" lol. Maybe that flick is what killed Conan Lee's career, I know it killed Kurt Thomas's before it ever had a chance to start. I can't remember who played the princess in that film but she was damn hot!:D

She was the only redemable thing about the movie, I can't remember her name either but she was also in Bruce Lee's Dragon fights back with Bolo.

The storyline in Bloodsport 3 was awful, with the whole father and son bonding with kumite tales at the campfire. I mean, Bloodsport 2 was bad as well, but had some entertainment value. Can't do it without the Claude.

The storyline in Bloodsport 3 was awful, with the whole father and son bonding with kumite tales at the campfire. I mean, Bloodsport 2 was bad as well, but had some entertainment value. Can't do it without the Claude.

Ironically, Van Damme WANTED to do Bloodsport 2. Schedule conflicts prevented him from doing it and Daniel Bernhardt came in.

Chinatown Kid

Van Damme definately should have done Bloodsport 2 instead of that aweful movie The Quest. Hey what a minute, The Quest had basically the same plot as the original Bloodsport but lacked the same magic. The fighters he had in The Quest just seemed to suck. Van Damme seemed to hit his peak with Universal Soldier and after that started going downhill.

Chinatown Kid

I've seen Force:Five and the only redeeming thing about that flick was Benny Urquidez but of course it was nothing like his performance in Wheels On Meals and Dragon's Forever.:P

Never have seen Men of the Dragon, was that an actual theatrical release or was it one of those made for tv movies?

Got another one...THE CHALLENGE aka SWORD OF THE NINJA. Scott Glenn as a guy who learns the way of the sword. I know Steven Seagal had worked on the film as one of the action choreographers with Ryu Kuze (who choreographed the sword fights).

Got a very interesting one I watched On Demand yesterday...PREY OF THE JAGUAR. This was extremely cheesy. It starred Maxwell Caulfield (GREASE 2, EMPIRE RECORDS) as Derek Leigh, an ex-cop who after nailing a major drug lord (Trevor Goddard, Kano from MORTAL KOMBAT), enters the witness protection program with his family. The drug lord escapes from prison tracks Leigh's family down and kills them. Derek, thirsting for revenge, finds a notebook of his late son's drawings, which include a superhero called Jaguar. Under the tutelage of Master Yee (John Fujioka, AMERICAN NINJA), Derek trains in martial arts and becomes The Jaguar...

I swaer if you see this costume he wore, it looked like something you would see in those 80's space cartoons. Kind of like a cross between RoboCop and Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos.

Caulfield has a dance background, so he did some pretty decent MA, but the choreography was typical cheesy American style..even Steven Leigh (RING OF FIRE) was wasted.

littlefuzzy

I always liked Street Fighter (especially since it was Raul Julia's last role...)

I don't know how much M/A Chuck uses in Top Dog, but that whole buddy cop/dog time period was pretty cheesy.

The following are intentional comedy rather than something trying to be serious and failing:

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist was pretty funny... BUT STUPID! I liked it, though (and the Thumb movies from the same director.)

18 Fingers of Death was REALLY BAD! I sold off the disc, and I enjoy stuff like Leonard Part 6.

There are a couple I haven't seen: Finishing the Game, and They Call Me Bruce?

Just for fun, does anyone remember the martial arts fight scene from Police Academy (or one of the sequels?) Not only was it very 70s M/A movie, but Michael Winslow even provided his own dubbing (live.)

Not Force Five that is a classic compared to Force Four aka Black Force - no words for this;honest - as for American Kickboxer,nuff said.

shaolin drunkard
doubledragon.jpg

I used to love this film as a child...

I watched this not too long ago and this is example of film so bad it`s actually enjoyable.