Shaw Legends 10 Film Box Set

Karlos

Anyone seen this?

The usual cheap and nasty box set, thrown together with little regard for the contents or the people buying it (David Chiang is on the cover, for example, but appears in none of the films!)

BUT the reason I bought it is that there's 3 Gordon Liu films on there that as far as I know you can't get a hold of on DVD and pretty nice prints they are, too.

The 3 films are, I believe, STORY OF THE GUN, AVENGING TRIO and FURY OF A TIGER (all under awful new names, Guns of Master Killer, White Lotus Trio and Challenge of Master Killer).

I picked my copy up for $10.

Any thoughts? :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The remaining 7 films are:

Shaolin Quick Kick (appalling print!)

Invincible Super Guy (ditto!)

Iron fist Adventure (Jimmy Wang Yu)

Thundering Ninja (JWY again - I think!)

Beggar of No Equal (Chi Kuan Chun)

Warrior of Fire (CKC again!)

Raiders of Buddhist Kung Fu (Gordon - I've just realised that makes it FOUR Gordon's on the set!)

I just spotted that Amazon.com has got this up for $1.80!!!

Also, there's a four film set with the same name and by the same Co. - films are:

Gallant Boxer (Jimmy Wang Yu)

The Loot (David Chiang & Norman Tsui)

800 Heroes

Dealy Roulette

Sounds like an expansive version of the Videoasia twofer I was looking at. Have you checked the quality?

That's the one, chaps!

As I mentioned before, Amazon.com has it under it's "Used & New" marketplace bit for $1.80!!!

The prints for Iron Fist Adventure, Invincible Super Guy and Shaolin Quick Kick are AWFUL, but the rest of the films - the 3 Gordon's I mentioned before, especially - are perfectly fine.

Also, two of the Gordon's are listed on the sleeves as English language but are, in fact, in Mandarin and Cantonese with subs.

oldeschool17

what are those gordon liu movies about? Isnt raiders of buddhist kung fu the same as treasure hunters?

Story of the Gun review:

http://mrblue845.tripod.com/storygun.htm

Fury of a Tiger review (um...not the most positive!! - also, Invincible Super Guy):

http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/vine/journal_view.php?journalid=230802&entryid=444975&view=public

Raiders of Buddhist KF Review:

http://www.amazon.com/Raiders-Buddhist-Kung-Liu-Chia/dp/B0002KQO12

Couldn't find one for Avenging Trio! :D

I used to have RAIDERS OF BUDDHIST KUNG FU from the Saturn tape. It's pretty bad. Gordon Liu is a villain if I'm remembering this one right. I think an eagle(?) figures into the snowy finale.

Morgoth Bauglir

I remember every single one of these movies being complete crap. Difficult collection to get through. The one movie that looked ok was Beggars Have no Equals, but the picture quality is unwatchable.

venomsfreak

I used to have "Raiders of Buddhist Kung Fu" on VHS, I threw it in the garbage that's how lame it is. Don't waste your time or money.

mantis FIST
what are those gordon liu movies about? Isnt raiders of buddhist kung fu the same as treasure hunters?

No. It is a shitty Korean movie he made! Treasure hunters is a Shaw film.

Morgoth Bauglir

Calm down now mantis FIST. Raiders of Buddhist Kung FU was a horrible and painful experience for everyone who watched it. No need to take your frustration out on oldeschool17:p:p

HyperDrive

I have this set as well after finding it in a bargain bin last year. Warrior of Fire and Thundering Ninja are just two spliced-together ninja films. The rest are either bad prints like others have said or badly subtitled.

The descriptions of these movies are bad. For all the Gordon Liu ones, they mention 36th Chamber and Master Killer. They even list Iron Fist Adventures as Liu's! Also note that on the bind of the Iron Fist Adventure/Thundering Ninja dual disc, thundering is spelled "thundeing."

if you like really cheesy-ass 80's ninja movies, Warrior of Fire and Thundering Ninja are highly recommended.

Archived