Celestial IVL turns anamorphic

Winfred

The non-anamorphic IVL discs do not look good on my large LCD TV.

Can anyone remember at which batch the Celestials became anamorphic?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chen lung

'36th Chamber' and 'Challenge Of The Gamestars' were I think, but don't quote me on that :).

I can't imagine any of them look nice with the crap encoding.

Batch 9 was when the releases began with Anamorphic enhancements.

They included:

The Dancing Millionairess

Emperor Chien Lung And The Beauty

Intimate Confessions of A Chinese Courtesan

Legend Of The Bat

Let's Make Laugh

The Lizard

Love Parade

The Magnificent Trio

The Merry Wife

Princess Iron Fan

Thank you for the info. Are all the new releases from Image & Dragon Dynasty anamorphic?

Killer Meteor

the early IVL anamorphic DVDs look worse than the non anamorphic ones, with excessive edge enhancement and poor image alignment

Batch 9 which was released on 10 April 2003 was indeed the batch that turned anamorphic like what Magicpoe posted except that it was Behind The Yellow Line that was released and not The Dancing Millionairess which was released in batch 11.

There is hope yet for the non-anamorphic titles released before batch 9. IVL's The Cave Of The Silken Web is not anamorphic. But Image has released it and Amazon lists it as anamorphic. The Boxer's Omen was a VCD-only release in HK but Image has released it on DVD. Is it anamorphic? Amazon does not specify in this case.

Hi Bruise, it doesn't mention anamorphic anywhere in the review at all. It's funny but the releases in batch 10 are not anamorphic like Buddha's Palm, Shaolin Temple, Duel Of Fists. Passing Flickers in batch 11 is also not anamorphic.

it mentions it being 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen under the Video section of the review. I'm heading by Bestbuy tomorrow so I can double check it out for you.

I saw Shaolin Temple and Buddha's Palm in Batch #7 and Duel of Fists in Batch #8. Passing Flickers is the interesting one bc it was in Batch #10 with 36th Chamber and Behind the Yellow Line which were both anamorphic. Here is the batch list that I refer to:

http://www.asiandvdguide.com/shaw_brothers_2003.html

Archived