WHat is your favorite fighting performance from Bolo

Morgoth Bauglir

What is your favorite fighting performance from Bolo?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite fighting performance from Bolo?

• Writing Kung Fu
    • Enter the dragon
    • Image of Bruce Lee
    • Chinese Hercules
    • Amsterdam Connection
    • 10 Magnificent Killers
    • Lucky Diamond (I have not seen this myself, but I heard Bolo is quite good in it)
    • The Fists Kicks and Evils
    • Bloodsport
    • Bloodfight

Morgoth Bauglir

Bolo Yeung, the Chinese Hercules. A lot of people may think he was some slow muscleman with no kung fu skills, but he was one of THE best oldschool fighters. He had a style of not looking at his opponent when fighting, and it was mesmerizing to watch.

So what is your favorite Bolo performance? I was only able to list 10 choices, so I had to do my best at deciding what his best performances were.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

Yeah I had to leave All Men are Brothers out because it only gave me 10 choices. He does give a good performance in that, but I woulnd't say it was one of his top 10 best. But, I think it can be argued that it was a better fighting performance than he gave in Bloodfight and Bloodsport.

THE RESCUE (1971) could be on there. He played a (sort of) hero who gets lots of screen time and goes out in gory style! He didn't seem to ever use that silly No-Looking-Technique in any of his Shaw movies.

Chinatown Kid

I had a hard time choosing between Bloodsport and 10 Magnificent Killers but choose Bloodsport, that film hit all the right buttons at the time. That seemed imo to be his best overall fight performance as well as Van Damme's but he was really good with the HK style of choreography in 10 MK's as well. He was definately menacing and great in his role as Bolo in ETD but all he really got to do was beat up some guards and then get beat up himself by John Saxon.:P

Morgoth Bauglir
THE RESCUE (1971) could be on there. He played a (sort of) hero who gets lots of screen time and goes out in gory style! He didn't seem to ever use that silly No-Looking-Technique in any of his Shaw movies.

That's true. I don't think he came into his own as a screen fighter until about 75-76. And I will have to check out The Rescue.

And most of the time in Shaw films he was just a punching bag to make the main stars look good. Most especially in MAN OF IRON (1972). He gets punched around a lot in that one. He was good for a time as the Water Man in DEADLY DUO (1971).

I've seen him in a lot of those Bruce imitator flicks too and seemed to never fight very long in those either. Bolo's pretty underrated in a lot of his HK movies.

MasterDrunk

Have to say Enter the Dragon as i love it so much,and ive only seen 3 or 4 on your list.Allways loved his style/power etc and would have liked to see him as the hero rather than the fall guy as he often was cast {suppose he looked to deadly to be hero} To add to your list id put Black Belt Jones 2 starring legend Jim Kelly. Bit of a cheopo but very good action with JK taking on Bolo {bad guy again} and allcomers, ably backed up by 'Flashlegs' Tan Tao Liang . Funky cheesy good fights and some nudity can't ask for more.And 2 stinkers 1 called Fists of Justice where he plays a comedy thicko with Pai Piao, one to avoid {id say}cheap stupid crap, never got past first 30 minutes, And 36 Deadly Styles Staring legend Hwang Jang Lee with Bolo in the donut role again as one of his henchman, again never got 30 or so minutes of this Joseph Kuo produced weirdness.At my last count id just gone over the 100 Kung Fu's mark{mostly classics} and FOJ and 36DS are still in my worst 3 {Shame 4 great Bolo deserved better} Be interested to see which Bolo's come in top 3 so i can pick em up so as to get some homage to him without going thru the average/poor ones.

Morgoth Bauglir
I had a hard time choosing between Bloodsport and 10 Magnificent Killers but choose Bloodsport, that film hit all the right buttons at the time. That seemed imo to be his best overall fight performance as well as Van Damme's but he was really good with the HK style of choreography in 10 MK's as well. He was definately menacing and great in his role as Bolo in ETD but all he really got to do was beat up some guards and then get beat up himself by John Saxon.:P

wow, you've seen 10 Mag Killers and yet you chose Bloodsport?!?! When is the last time you watched Bloodsport? he doesn't really do much in the fights, other than look cool. Is it safe to say that you like real type of choreography more than the oldschool dancelike style?

And I honestly don't think Bloodsport should be on this poll, but I knew if I left it off people would obviously be wondering where it is. And the reason I started this poll is because I rewatched 10 Magnificent Killers last night after not having seen it for about a year, and I thought Bolo vs Cheung Lik was better than ever. Bolo is just so smooth, and he got the best out of Cheung Lik. What do you think Chinatown Kid? Maybe we just look for different things in fights?

would have liked to see him as the hero rather than the fall guy as he often was cast {suppose he looked to deadly to be hero}

He is a good guy in THE RESCUE (1971). He starts off as a hot tempered soldier but soon becomes a hot tempered hero who helps Lo Lieh and Shi Szu rescue a man being held in a dungeon.

He was also a hero in SHOOTFIGHTER and the awful TC 2000.

Morgoth Bauglir
Have to say Enter the Dragon as i love it so much,and ive only seen 3 or 4 on your list.Allways loved his style/power etc and would have liked to see him as the hero rather than the fall guy as he often was cast {suppose he looked to deadly to be hero} To add to your list id put Black Belt Jones 2 starring legend Jim Kelly. Bit of a cheopo but very good action with JK taking on Bolo {bad guy again} and allcomers, ably backed up by 'Flashlegs' Tan Tao Liang . Funky cheesy good fights and some nudity can't ask for more.And 2 stinkers 1 called Fists of Justice where he plays a comedy thicko with Pai Piao, one to avoid {id say}cheap stupid crap, never got past first 30 minutes, And 36 Deadly Styles Staring legend Hwang Jang Lee with Bolo in the donut role again as one of his henchman, again never got 30 or so minutes of this Joseph Kuo produced weirdness.At my last count id just gone over the 100 Kung Fu's mark{mostly classics} and FOJ and 36DS are still in my worst 3 {Shame 4 great Bolo deserved better}

Man if you liked Black Belt Jones 2, I would think that you could make it though 36 deadly Stles! I have a lot of problems with the movie, but I still think it's worth watching for all of Hwang's fights. And you have to at least see the Mark Long vs Jack Long fight. "Twin snakes from the grave!"

And I think I saw that Pai PAio movie under the title 'bolo'. god that thing was horrible.

Morgoth Bauglir
I've gone for Bloodsport too....'Chong Li, Chong Li'

warimw.gif

haha, Bolo was a good drummer:p

Morgoth Bauglir

I've seen him in a lot of those Bruce imitator flicks too and seemed to never fight very long in those either. Bolo's pretty underrated in a lot of his HK movies.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Chinatown Kid
wow, you've seen 10 Mag Killers and yet you chose Bloodsport?!?! When is the last time you watched Bloodsport? he doesn't really do much in the fights, other than look cool. Is it safe to say that you like real type of choreography more than the oldschool dancelike style?

And I honestly don't think Bloodsport should be on this poll, but I knew if I left it off people would obviously be wondering where it is. And the reason I started this poll is because I rewatched 10 Magnificent Killers last night after not having seen it for about a year, and I thought Bolo vs Cheung Lik was better than ever. Bolo is just so smooth, and he got the best out of Cheung Lik. What do you think Chinatown Kid? Maybe we just look for different things in fights?

You hit the nail on the head Morgoth when you said it's safe to say I like the rather realistic(or semi-realistic) choreography in MA movies, that's one reason why I like Bruce Lee so much. Donnie Yen's fights is also a great example of this in Flash Point. Don't get me wrong though, I love the dance like HK choreography as well and think it takes great skill to do also. Being a martial artist I like to see skills applied in a rather realistic manner on film as well as the more fun Animal style and acrobatic types of choreography. I just hate that wirefu stuff and cgi flying around style, but hey everybody's got their own preference. :)

He could have been awesome with a great choreographer behind him. His powerful physique, and menace alone, would have to rank him as one of the more popular guys from HK cinema. Bruce would have killed to have his size. I wonder how much he weighed?:rolleyes:

Chinatown Kid

I believe I read years ago in an issue of Inside Kung fu an article about Double Impact and it stated that Bolo only weighed around 180-190 pounds. Although he is very muscular is also very short. Van Damme only weighed 180 in his prime and he's taller than Bolo.

thundered mantis

Don´t also forget Master Killers, he´s great on that one (but if I have to choose, then it´s Fist, kicks and evils

Morgoth Bauglir

Alright chinatown Kid, i understand. I guess maybe I should have asked in the poll what his best physical performance was, because I think that it would be a lot harder to perform in oldschool fights compared to the ones in a movie like Bloodsport. I just love oldschool choreography, and with how unique Bolo's screen fighting style is, it's an amazing thing to watch. And I also hate most stuff with CGI and wires. Ridiculous.

Morgoth Bauglir
Don´t also forget Master Killers, he´s great on that one (but if I have to choose, then it´s Fist, kicks and evils

yep, yep, it was a tough choice. Love that fight at Phillip Ko's place between Blacky ko, Bolo and the other henchman. And the fight before the final fight was good. Seemed like he was kicking more than normal in Master Killers.

MasterDrunk

Would't say BBJ 2 was one of my favs but love Jim Kelly {Bolo,Flashlegs} and its the only decent one of seen with him in other than ETD ,Way better than the awful Black Samouri and Two down 1 to Go[managed to sell those on to a nostalgic black friend lol} . His skills deserverd more {but i guess a cool black dude would look strange in a asian old skool movie} and USA wernt making any back then. Feelin in good mood after good poker session so am gonna watch through 36DS to see HJL ,Long Brothers and wigged up Bolo in action, but gonna be with the FF button on the ready so as to aviod too much 'weirdness' and to aviod the strange plot.

Morgoth Bauglir

I say watch it all the way through and easy on the ff button. I'll take all the critisism from you after you watch it (though I will have a response:D). You have to at least see the scene where Chan Lau writes a letter to his brother. He just can't figure out what to say:D

Always liked Bolo but felt he was never used to his full potential. My favorites are Enter the Dragon, Master Avengers (Master Killers), Blood Sport, Tatoo Connection, Tiger Claws III, Double Impact, TC 2000 and a several others I think of off the top of my head. I enjoyed his 90's B movies movies. His Old School movies didn't show enough of him, IMO. He was at his kicking best in Master Avengers and even got to hold his leg out in Tan Tao Liang fashion! He also kicked more than usual against Cynthia Rothrock in Tiger Claws III.

I would say his best performance has to be in Blood Sport but my favorite has to be Enter the Dragon. Although he didn't do much I feel his presence alone in the movie created the typecast character he basically made a living from for most of his film career. Powerful, muscular and menacing with that wicked grin of his, yeah, that Bolo one bad mo fo!

Writing Kung Fu.

Watching Bolo play the flute while he is kicking ass is awesome.

Morgoth Bauglir

Hell yeah. He was onto something. I wish there was more flute fu out there.

Archived