The Shaw Vaults: Do Not Enter

teako170

While I'm sure they don't have "that sign" hanging on the door -

you just got to wonder what they're planning on doing with all this good stuff...

shawvault.jpg

shawvault2.jpg

source: HKCM

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mistertpitydafoo

Wow great pictures, you have anymore? I wonder how one would get permission to enter? I would love to get a job at Celestial to help with all of that. They should hire people like us who love the films, hell I'd probably do a lot of the work for free if they were local or shipped materials to read/scan/archive/etc and you shipped back when you were done. Damn if they did that think how many extra features all these dvds would have had by using and hiring the fan base. I'm sure there are people (I couldn't because of school unless of course it was a temporary thing for like a year and the pay was decent) that would work at Celestial from another country. Especially if they hooked you up with living quarters and a plane ride there.

That would be awesome to be allowed to catalogue the Celestial vaults. I would love to look in each cannister and see what films turned up. Heck think of the fan base being able to choose the release schedule of the dvds. They could have done things so much better because us, the fans are the only ones who buy this stuff. I have introduced several people and many love the movies but they are not the type of people to hunt down foreign movies and build a collection, they the types who probably have like 10-20 mainstream movies at home. The people who grew up watching them or who love collecting movies and get introduced to them like me, are the ones who build the collection. I mean why do they release Mr. Funnybones, Disco Bumpkins, and other horrible titles like that but not To Kill A MasterMind or any of the other films they didn't release like thunderclap and I'm gonna knock you down dad. Even if they were in bad condition, I'm sure it would be easy to hunt down a copy of it thats widescreen like the one I've seen you all talk about. They HAVE to have the subtitles for it so they can just create new ones after remastering the film and release it.

They just didn't seem to care I noticed after 2003. I didn't start collecting these till last year but when I notice a dvd that has behind the scenes pictures for example, or being dvd9's higher quality, it's usually from late 2002 and through 2003. Sometimes 2004 has some like that and 2005 but you can tell as time wore on they cared less and less about their shaw catalogue.

I wonder if you can get a guest pass to view the vaults if you visit locally? I would love to just take a look if I ever went on vacation near Celestial. Sorry to have rambled on just had a bunch of thoughts I was thinking of while typing this response!

Ben Sanborn

venomchamber
I mean why do they release Mr. Funnybones, Disco Bumpkins, and other horrible titles like that

Actually, MR. FUNNYBONE was very popular and is Shaw's mascot for HONG KONG MOVIE NEWS and SOUTHERN SCREEN Magazines where he was featured in gag comic strips, usually being caught in an awkward situation instigated by his cohorts and accused of being a letcher, like a Chinese Benny Hill.

What's more, the IVL discs are region 3 meaning for the South East Asia market only, where comedies remain popular and old-school kung-fu films have been out of style.

After 2003, IVL released whatever was remastered randomly by Celestial before the contract expired in 2007. If Celestial & IVL renewed their contract, the rest could have been released throughout this year.

yes i bet it would be fantastic to go and check out all that stuff. all the lost dubs are there--maybe even a dub version of TO KILL A MASTERMIND--we will never know.

Eastern Evil

Amazing....this is just one row. I wonder How many there are in total...maybe 12 to 20 plus rows

in the Shaw film storage warehouse?

"Raid on the Vaults!" - is it the title of a new Shaw`s film or what a group of fans think about doing? You decide!:tongue:

Damn! When i was little my biggest dream was to go to Toys R Us and do a shopping spree. mainly hitting up the video game Section ha..

Now, outside of a music store ( like guitar center) , THAT vault would be my ultimate shopping spree. Dont worry ill leave you guys some scraps :tongue:

Step One: Inherit billionaire fortune, buy it all.

Step Two: ???

Step : Usher in an era of sawdust and oxyclean, washing away decades of Celestial vomit. And/or PROFIT!:nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd::nerd:

Its unfortunate that Celestial didn't beef up their releases with some cool extras from these vaults. Behind-the-scenes footage, unreleased clips, etc. I hope someone who treasures these films gains access to this material someday and does what Bey is currently doing with the GH catalog. Would be a shame to see it all disappear.

Just wondering. Could there be films in there that have never been released and/or never viewed by the public?

Archived