Linn's commentary track....

teako170

Finished listening to it this evening. In Linn's email that I posted a few weeks back, he mentioned how he had a strange way of talking sometimes. I can only guess by what he meant. I'm sure we've all heard our own voice recorded and how it doesn't sound right but what I'm thinking he meant might be the pacing of his commentary.

The first 20/30 minutes seemed somewhat hurried - primarily to blame would be the recording device he was using. Think about it: Record.Pause.Record.Pause.Record. When you play it back, it comes off like a verbal run-on sentence. He told me that he spoke with Mike Leeder (I believe) on some pointers on how to do a commentary and he mentioned the use of note cards as a foundation and then elaborate as the recording goes on.

Early on, it seemed he was basically reading his notes. He was kicking out a lot of information and without pauses, it doesn't allow the listener to digest all the material. Soon though he settled into a more relaxed, conversational style. Allowing pauses between his thoughts and some blocks of silence where the viewer could then focus on the action on screen. It was then much more enjoyable and I think he became comfortable with it.

Like I said, I can only guess as to what he meant. One thing for sure, the man is an encyclopedia of information and this track is a testament to his passion and knowledge of the genre.

Now, let me mention about what happened at 26:45.

Linn speaks at length of "Who's on First, What's on Second" aka Men from the Monastery and Heroes Two and which film was to be made/released first, etc. He sent me an email pointing out how Chang Cheh would slip up sometimes (as these 2 films got thrown together in the proverbial production blender) and told me to look at that sequence to see what he meant.

The only thing I saw was the disparity in the depth of field for the 2 shots which I captured and sent back to him (below).

herotwo.jpg

He wrote back the following...

"You're looking too hard. Right as they're grabbing Chen, you see Fu Sheng say Hung Si Kuan as if he's thinking to himself. This of course was before he was supposed to know who he was! It wasn't dubbed and it wasn't supposed to be there, but it also wasn't edited like it would have been. There's a couple of other bits in the film showing the time constraints they were under, but this one was the most obvious that Chang would have noticed." Linn

Oddly though he doesn't mention this in his commentary but instead the DOF shots. I was eating dinner at the time and I laughed so hard that I nearly choked on my BBQ! Ahh Linn. You got me good buddy. :D

Anyhow.... I leave you with my favorite quote from the commentary:

"Temple of the Dragon is probably my favorite title because there's no dragon in the movie .. and there's barely a temple."

:)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought I was the bomb when it came to KF films...

And then I spoke to Linn - not only was he roughly 1,000,000 times more knowledgeable, he was also completely down to earth and giving with his expertise.

I only emailed him a few times and he was the consummate gent.

I look forward to hearing his commentary - but it'll be a sad moment, too.

mistertpitydafoo

Would people be mad if I ripped it at a very very low quality mp3 bitrate and allowed those who want to hear it to download it from rapidshare or something similar? I don't want to dishonor Linn, I was just so impressed with his knowledge that I wanted to offer those who might not get a chance to hear it anytime soon or who aren't buying the dvd just to hear a commentary and see the extras. I was interested in people's opinions before I did, I don't want to hurt the sales of the dvd, but I don't think it would plus I would be honoring Linn by allowing many to hear it since it's good. Opinions? Low Bitrate is to make it where people won't say, "Heck now that I have this why do I need to buy the movie, thats all I wanted to hear, I didn't care about the 3 styles of hung fist extras".

Ben

Yeah, MB probably worked hard to get those extras on there and by ripping individual features, it won't get much in return.

However, interesting on the depth of field thing. It's something I still struggle to understand with tele and wide lenses, etc.

Guest Markgway

Different takes edited togther, with the camera shifting focus (position even) in between. Sloppy photography, but easily missed by the viewer if you're engrossed in the story (though the editor certainly should've spotted it, lol - maybe there was a lack of coverage?)

The films were made back-to-back in 1973 and edited into two movies (released about 3 months apart) with some footage overlapping. Nothing too difficult to figure out. I suspect HEROES was always intended as first since

SPOILER!

Fu Sheng dies a horrible death at the end of MONASTERY

Maybe I'm misinterpreting the first post above but I was under the impression that HEROES TWO and MEN FROM THE MONASTERY co-existed with one another cinematically speaking. Considering these guys made several films simultaneously (a couple hours on one set then move on to another for a couple more hours) this would seem to be the case here. And judging from Chang's own statements and the films trailer it would seem apparent that HEROES TWO was intended as the beginning of this cycle of films from the revered director.

chen lung

Thanks for the spoiler bitch - it notified me through email without any gaps :).

Archived